Tell me what double din to buy please :)

hensh65

Hey guys,

with a few months of to recover from the mods I had been doing I am ready to resume and my attentions have turned to my interior. I want an ok double din, tbh when I drive around I tend to have no sound on at all. I just want to change that ugly bose HU :lol:

Ideally I want it to work with the steering controlls. I would also like my pockets not to be left in "tatters" after said purchase :)

Cheers for any help :thumbs:

Kris

I've got a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT, works with steering controls with the right adapter, bluetooth, works with my reverse cam, plays DVDs full of MP3s as well as movies (not sure this is that useful TBH :lol:). Things I wish I'd considered when I bought it are:

The touchscreen is a little laggy, compared to say an modern smartphone, not sure how it compares to other brans of HU

Integrated sat nav - I'd prefer not to have an extra device in there

Digital radio (wish I'd got this)

Front facing USB port - wish I'd got one so I could do firmware updates and use USB stick without ripping the console out.

The second and third of the above can be worked around with an adapter for a smartphone and an unlimited data deal.

There's loads to choose from, so do a bit of reading as well as what comes up on here. Good luck mate.

• Like 1

I've got a pioneer f900bt which I'd recommend.

I believe the latest version is the f960dab. Not cheap, but you can pick up an older model second hand and update the maps if they haven't been done for a while. Also works with the existing steering wheel controls if you buy the correct adaptors.

Edited by Gudzy
  • Like 1

I've got a pioneer f900bt which I'd recommend.

I believe the latest version is the f960dab. Not cheap, but you can pick up an older model second hand and update the maps if they haven't been done for a while. Also works with the existing steering wheel controls if you buy the correct adaptors.

I remember that f900bt fitted in my Zed 2 days after I bought the car and it stayed there until you bought it.... been a faithful Zed servant that unit :lol:

• Like 1

I've got a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT, works with steering controls with the right adapter, bluetooth, works with my reverse cam, plays DVDs full of MP3s as well as movies (not sure this is that useful TBH :lol:). Things I wish I'd considered when I bought it are:

The touchscreen is a little laggy, compared to say an modern smartphone, not sure how it compares to other brans of HU

Integrated sat nav - I'd prefer not to have an extra device in there

Digital radio (wish I'd got this)

Front facing USB port - wish I'd got one so I could do firmware updates and use USB stick without ripping the console out.

The second and third of the above can be worked around with an adapter for a smartphone and an unlimited data deal.

There's loads to choose from, so do a bit of reading as well as what comes up on here. Good luck mate.

Digital Radio DAB is shite :p only decent quality sound is the the BBC channels and they sound even better on FM anyway :shrug:

• Like 1

I treated myself to a Pioneer AVH-8500BT at Christmas and it works great. It wasn't the easiest HU I've ever fitted as I wanted it to sit flush with the centre console so I had to adapt the original bose brackets. Worth the hassle in the end though as it looks good and has about everything you need including smartphone screen mirroring via hdmi cable so you can use its sat nav and apps etc.

It wasn't the cheapest to buy new in fairness but i don't think you can go wrong if you could pick a 2nd hand one up for a couple of hundred quid off ebay :)

• Like 1

Kris I'm getting a double din unit fitted on Friday audiowise in ek. I've went for a jvc unit with Bluetooth, mp3, DVD, CD, inputs for rear camera and can show most apps from my phone on screen ie Sat nav plus there's one I want to try called dashboard or something at supposedly can monitor power usage in bhp aswell as revs speed etc.

I'll let you know how it goes. N meet up with you to see it if you fancy taking a look.

• Like 1

i had a 5.1 ALPINE complete digital system and realise that it was a waste because all the noise coming from everywere...

i changed the head unit and amps and gave all the priority to the options that the ALPINE could not give.

http://www.erisin.com/erisin-es8935a-7-cortexa10-android-40-car-dvd-player-1gb-ram_p467.html

this cheap head unit give me ALL the options for listening music, i´m now playing in the unit the SPOTIFY app and i have acess to ALL the music i whant ALL the Time

• Like 1

Just short of 500 all in mate.

Probably not the cheapest deal all in but it includes everything I need including the plug set to work with the steering controls and Bose system.

Since electrics are my forty I'm leaving it all for them to do.

It'll take a few hours so hope the cinema in ek have something good on that morning haha.

• Like 1

Just short of 500 all in mate.

Probably not the cheapest deal all in but it includes everything I need including the plug set to work with the steering controls and Bose system.

Since electrics are my forty I'm leaving it all for them to do.

It'll take a few hours so hope the cinema in ek have something good on that morning haha.

I got my wrapping and tints done in EK, ended up just waiting there once,,,, wow that was a boring day :lol:

I dont plan on spending near that man, I am just doing my interior up and don't really care tbh about how good it is. I just want a screen of some sort there in place of the tape player :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah know what you mean I just fancied getting the extra bits while I have some spare cash the now.

Halfrauds isn't the worst option in the world then. They have some decent units the only thing is I doubt they'd for the plug to make it work through the wheel.

Tints is my next mod!

• Like 1

Yeah know what you mean I just fancied getting the extra bits while I have some spare cash the now.

Halfrauds isn't the worst option in the world then. They have some decent units the only thing is I doubt they'd for the plug to make it work through the wheel.

Tints is my next mod!

Yeh Doing a bit of research to see if I can just buy any double din.

Do you need to buy a facia to make a lot of them work?

Tints is a good mod, the guy in EK is good, he does wrapping as well.

• Like 1

I asked about that. I was told no, not unless the car has a different contour to regular or the screen is in anyway an obscure size, if so the screen would come with it.

So here's hoping not lol.

What's the name of th place you used for that?

Think its called EK sunroofs or something, he has a unit just next door to the Coca cola factory.

http://incartec.co.u...io/Browser.aspx

For the fascia, ISO connectors, steering wheel adapters etc

Any standard size DD will be fine, if it is slightly smaller it will have an adapter, the Pioneer f900bt is slightly smaller than standard DD so uses an extra fascia as well as the standard one ;)

Cracking website Dave, cheers mate :thumbs:

This is what I got, Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB, absolutely brilliant after doing the Buster mod. Everything works as it should, except sat nav sound but I`m glad to get rid of the annoying sat nav voice. As much bass as you could ever want and internal Parrott mobile phone integration works very well. At 299.95 from Dynamic sounds on ebay + fascia kit and loom.

• Like 1

http://incartec.co.u...io/Browser.aspx

For the fascia, ISO connectors, steering wheel adapters etc

Any standard size DD will be fine, if it is slightly smaller it will have an adapter, the Pioneer f900bt is slightly smaller than standard DD so uses an extra fascia as well as the standard one ;)

Cracking website Dave, cheers mate :thumbs:

No worries, used it loads, if your not sure of anything you can phone them too and they are really helpful