GTM SUPERCHARGER AIR FILTER ISSUES

4RE Leather

As the title says I am having real bad issues with my air filter all due to positioning.

I constantly clogs up and if I don't take it off and clean it out every few thousand miles I have real issues.

The engine management throws a 3010 code and if I don't catch it 1st turn of the key to start

it floods and that's that.

The only way to get it restarted is to pull the blue 15 amp fuse by the battery box Number 81.

This cuts off the fuel pump.

Ideally have someone standing outside ready to stick it back in as soon as it fires up.

At present I have the use of a ramp, as getting the air filter out from its position hidden under the right side front inner wheel arch is no joke.

If you don't want to cut your hands to bits then I have to undo the intake pipe that the air filter is attached to and pull it out backwards.

Not the sort of job I would want to do laying under a car.

This has now been taken out at least a dozen times, and if its left to long it sucks in on itself.

They has to be a better and easier way as being right down low it picks up all the road crud and salt.

I was hoping my custom made under-tray may have helped but it just blows in from the front.

Once it has been cleaned up and placed back on you can feel the difference in power.

The code does not come back on and she starts up 1st time.

This is the only thing that lets the car down and with all the money I paid for this set up the air filter is its nemesis !

What filter are you using pete?

Cone filter that came with the kit.

you spray oil on it after its cleaned.

Its done it again after 500 miles.

Strange thing is It is protected from road & wheel shiiiiitttt by the steel undertray.

There is so much suction there it picks up every little bit of crud.

it needs relocating or a different system.

I'd say bin that filter and get a k and n or something. It must be clogged beyond cleaning or the supports inside have bent and weakened

It is a k&N I forgot to mention.

It would not matter what I put in there the problem would remain.

Its low down and when it rains the water comes through the open grill in the bumper which don't help.

I can't as its all enclosed.

I will try and find some of the build.

Its about where the left side washer bottle should be (looking at the car)

As this was removed during the build.

Encased under here.

I can assure you that the person who fitted the inner wheel arch back on with a cable tie after supplying and fitting the body kit has been informed!

Especially as it came off whilst on A3 nearly causing an accident.

Jumping 350 was my pasenger at the tiem

032_zps1a97b762.jpg

You have to take the left front inner wheel arch out and it still hurts trying to get your hand in.

Even with the try off you still need to take the bottom piece of intake that the air filter is fitted to

to get back in it.

029_zps4c53856b.jpg

I am thinking now that the only option is a induction kit like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d30bd18f5

029_zps7ca1eab2.jpg

Edited by 4RE Leather

Spotted this 4RE Leather and thought I'd give you the link below just in case you are serious about getting the Pipercross Viper induction kit.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2593d55278

:thumbs:

Good man :) I am very serious its my wallet that isn't :)

The only problem is the rating.

A friend of mine fits them to Ferrari v12's to help them breath better.

Hence its nearly £500.

I need to ask him what car it came off.

Thanks

Edited by 4RE Leather

I can assure you that the person who fitted the inner wheel arch back on with a cable tie after supplying and fitting the body kit has been informed!

Especially as it came off whilst on A3 nearly causing an accident.

Jumping 350 was my pasenger at the tiem

I can vouch that yes the front arch liner did come off :wacko::lol:

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

The inlet looks quite small, think you'd need 3 inch and its going to be touch and go as to whether the box is going to fit, it's tight behind the bumper...

It does look small ~ 4RE Leather will have to ask the seller to measure it.

One thing though I looked at the universal Viper kit on Demon Tweeks web site which gave the following dimensions.

150mm O/D

150mm long (200mm inc inlet / outlet)

75mm Inlet

86mm Outlet with a range of adaptors down to 57mm

Link: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/universal-air-filters/pipercross-universal-viper-induction-kit-inc--adapters-includes-cold-air-feed

If the one for sale is the same size then it's inlet is almost 3" as 75mm is 2.95" odd. Still not sure if it would fit but then maybe the location could be moved about/altered slightly. :dry:

I am going to reroute the pipework as it can be shortened.

Darren B gave me a carbon funnel thingy that goes into the front bumper.

so on the other side a connecot from the other end of the filter.

I am guessing the inside of that can be changed as it looks really grubby.

Thanks for the input folks.

Wonder if the others who had the same GTM s/c fitted have problems.

Ok I managed to get a reply from the guy on ebay.

My question to him was, "Can you tell me what car you had it on and what was the bhp"

He replied.

"

Dear onlysilverbits,

Hi,

Initially the kit was in a stock Renault Sport Clio 197 and then was transferred into a stock Renault Sport Megane 250. I now have a Citroen C4 for the family to be so will not be modding this... :(.

Thanks for the interest - just wondering why that would change your decision? I also have 1/2 a can of Piper Cross air filter dirt retention additive that can be included.

I then told him that they were bhp rated and that's why he paid £120 for his and the Ferrari ones (which look identical but must be bigger and constructed different inside are £550.

This was confirmed to me just a few moments ago when a mate who tunes Ferrari's for a living rang me over another matterI have been looking for a 2nd hand one rated 500 bhp and above for about 18 months. But they are like hens teeth to locate.

Edited by 4RE Leather

Your always going to have a short service life with any filter on a SC'd car, as the amount of air being filtered it much more than of a NA or turbo'd car. All the time the engine & SC is spinning it's drawing air through the filter, most of it is dumped through the blow off when your not using WOT. That standard GTM setup for stage 0 or 1 is probably the best setup for longevity as there are 2 filters giving a much greater surface area for filtration over a single filter like the one I used on my stage 1.5 setup where the filter is located alongside the bell housing of the gearbox. (a much dirtier area)

Unfortuneately Pete I think this is just a price your going to have to pay for having a modified car. If you keep the revs low when not hooning it the service life of the filters will be much greater as there will be far less air being drawn through the filters.

• Like 1

Pics of the location?

My first thought would be get a new filter too, that one could be knackered and over-oiled.

It gets cleaned out and then an air line used to make sure.

When its thoroughly dry and the filter is orange again, only then is it re-oiled.

As soon as its on you start it up and you can here the difference.

And certainly when you drive you feel it :)

Your always going to have a short service life with any filter on a SC'd car, as the amount of air being filtered it much more than of a NA or turbo'd car. All the time the engine & SC is spinning it's drawing air through the filter, most of it is dumped through the blow off when your not using WOT. That standard GTM setup for stage 0 or 1 is probably the best setup for longevity as there are 2 filters giving a much greater surface area for filtration over a single filter like the one I used on my stage 1.5 setup where the filter is located alongside the bell housing of the gearbox. (a much dirtier area)

Unfortuneately Pete I think this is just a price your going to have to pay for having a modified car. If you keep the revs low when not hooning it the service life of the filters will be much greater as there will be far less air being drawn through the filters.

Hi Darren.

The stage 1 only has 1 filter. The stage 2 has 2 as I checked with GTM.

I don't mind cleaning them. its just the positioning that could be better.

I can't get to it myself without help or the use of a ramp.

Thanks for the input I am much more in the loop now :)

I actually hardly ever give it large ones.

However Sunday was a Cannonball GT run out.

Its more "Smokey & The Bandit" than Sunday morning pottering.

Edited by 4RE Leather

I'm not a fan of oiled filters full-stop, which is why I either never use them or I simply buy a new one each time.

Have to say I agree with Darren, I think you're either going to have to live with it or you're going to have to re-route the pipework to lift it out of the current location.

I'm not a fan of oiled filters full-stop, which is why I either never use them or I simply buy a new one each time.

Have to say I agree with Darren, I think you're either going to have to live with it or you're going to have to re-route the pipework to lift it out of the current location.

I agree Dan this is exactly what I have to do.

I am not bothered about changing filters, It's the hassle of having to get them all the time.

I am not sure of the size so I have to get it off to measure it.

I may go for the piper cross one next what ever I do