The Next Z Car?

pjf1985

Just saw this story from an Aussie car news website...

Nissan-Z-placement-626x382.jpg

A report citing unnamed sources has appeared on the Australian website Motoring.com.au purporting to reveal new details on Nissan’s next-generation Z sports car, and the info is interesting, to say the least. First off, the coupe version of the new Z will get a T-top or targa-roof arrangement, while the roadster will move from its current soft-top lid to a power-folding hardtop. As we’ve reported, a Mercedes-sourced turbocharged four-cylinder and a six-cylinder are expected, but Motoring adds that both powertrains will be hybridized and turbocharged. That is where the info gets a bit fuzzy.

So what does everyone think will be happen with the next Z car? Will there be one? What do you want if they build one?

Yes I know they are just speculating. Just thought we could do with a topic to chat about the next Z car and what we want from it. Makes you wonder whether they will go down the turbo or hybrid route next time...

What we want and what we'll get will be totally different no doubt. We will want an NA V6, but there is no market for this especially with emissions laws etc. It will most likely be a 2.0 turbo pitched as competition for the GT86 / BRZ.

I think the car will be 100% be turbo, not so sure it will be a 2.0 though as the Zed cars have always been big and beefy cars. I doubt you could squeeze anymore than 250-300bhp out of a 2l. I can't see them making it less powered than the 350 never mind the 370. Twin turbo possibly??

It's all very well and good saying we can get loads of power out of a Zed if it comes with a turbo engine, but you'll lose that wonderful throttle response as well as end up with an exhaust note even worse than what we have now :(

It's all very well and good saying we can get loads of power out of a Zed if it comes with a turbo engine, but you'll lose that wonderful throttle response as well as end up with an exhaust note even worse than what we have now :(

Do you think Nissan have the ball to stick with the large thirsty beast over the more eco friendly terrible sounding 4 pots turbos? I'm not sure if the word flop is too strong but the 370z hasn't done that well in comparison to its rivals although I am saying that without actually looking at hard facts so sorry if I'm wrong there.

Surely they can make some compromise between engine capacity and power out-put that doesn't make it a highly tuned 4 pot were you only have power if its the right weather, on the right day @ the right time in the right gear!!!

its happening tho looks at the bmw M cars we cant fight it and on the plus BOOOOOOOOST can be fun :)

Edited by StevoD

No, you're right, I don't think there's a market for the Zed at all as it stands. Looking at the BRZ86 model, I don't think there's a huge market for that either.

I don't see a future for the Zed any more, if I'm honest. Not in the current guise of GT cruiser, at any rate.

No, you're right, I don't think there's a market for the Zed at all as it stands. Looking at the BRZ86 model, I don't think there's a huge market for that either.

I don't see a future for the Zed any more, if I'm honest. Not in the current guise of GT cruiser, at any rate.

You bought the 2 seater sports car for the driving ability, power, fun etc but now you would do well to shake any hot hatch off your tail under any circumstances(although the hatchbacks aren't cheap!)

I think they lost their USL with the 370, as back when the 350z was new you couldn't buy anything with that size of engine and grunt for the money you were getting that for. Now you go to look at the 370 and you have a host of choices, you can sit yourself in a boxter or the cayman for similarish money.

I would bring out the Z and try and have as much power for as little money as possible! but I am all about the POOWWWAAA and wave your willy stats :lol: