Roadster wind noise

mouldie

I had a test drive of a roadster yesterday which was my first time in a convertible. I loved it and may well be buying it in the next couple of days BUT I wanted to check one thing before I do. How much wind noise should there be? Sat at 70mph with the roof up it sounded like one of the windows was slightly open but they weren't! Is that right? If not, any idea what the cost of resolving any issues would be? The roof is in good condition and the mechanism operated as it should. All comments gratefully received!

It was bad enough to make me think the windows weren't seated properly but not bad enough that I couldn't hold a conversation with the passenger easily. It was very windy during the drive and I think cross winds were more noticeable than those generated through the forward movement of the car. If that makes sense!?

It was bad enough to make me think the windows weren't seated properly but not bad enough that I couldn't hold a conversation with the passenger easily. It was very windy during the drive and I think cross winds were more noticeable than those generated through the forward movement of the car. If that makes sense!?

That noise level doesn't sound quite right. I always thought mine was pretty ok....maybe the roof wasn't correctly positioned/sealed or window issue. Never noticed anything dramatic about cross-winds either - the winds were very strong yesterday in some parts of the country.

I use mine on the motorway and I can have a chat with the passenger. Its far from silent but wind noise will sound different from a road rumble. Worst case will be to have the regulator or window reset. Wouldn't of thought that would be much at all. You can have a good look at the seals and see if its flush all round. Also apply some silicone spray on the seal, shut the door. You should see it get squashed between the glass and rubber all the way round. :) hope that helps

As Lee says, a conversation with a passenger, whilst doing 70 mph on a motorway, with the hood up is quite normal for Zed roadsters.

The hood is quite stiff and generates very little wind noise!

It could be that the side window isn't closing fully, so worth checking this out if you really like the car.

I've had my Zed roadster nearly 2 years now and still love every minute driving it!

Hope you get the Zed!

Can't really comment on this as I've got a coupe, but really intrigues me about the roadster.......I've never had a convertible :(. So just wanted to say if you do buy it...........it's gunna be such a buss........all the best :)

I think I know what you mean - mine sounds like the drivers window is slightly open at motorway speeds. But as it isn't I wouldn't know where to search for a solution :D

The roof isn't one of the Roadsters' strong points to be fair. I have got a Mercedes E class convertible and that is just like a normal car with the roof up. The roadster definitely isn't. It's about on par with an MX5 Mark 2.

I seem to remember the 350z roadster roof being single skinned unlike the 370z which has a second inner liner. Either way both are pretty useless at speed when up compared to a coupe.

Driven across Europe in mine a few times and have to say it is a bit tiring if doing more than 8 hour stints at high speed behind the wheel. Like anything you will get used to it and soon forget about it once the roof is down. Its the best way to enjoy the noise!