Is this DTV? (Disc Thickness Variation)

Macky

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting new front brakes, but I just want to make sure I definitely need them first. Not sure if I may be able to get away with a skim instead.

The symptoms I am getting:

-High speed braking - steering wheel wobble and car vibrates mildly.

-Low speed braking - slower pulsating feeling through the pedal and car comes to a stop 'unevenly' if that makes sense.

-Any speed, NOT braking - a quiet tap from the disc on every rotation, sounds similar to having a stone stuck in your tyre.

I have also got some unusual wear on the disc so have taken these pictures to show.

The pads have life in them and so do the discs...see what you think

y7eqe3ys.jpg

8uje6a8a.jpg

y7ydy3a6.jpg

9ebanu7a.jpg

e5eru2uz.jpg

I've got slight cracking in mine. It was an advisory in my MOT. My mechanic said they'll be fine but keep an eye on it and change them if the cracks get bigger. If I was having issues though I would bite the bullet and get new disks/pads; otherwise you might find yourself chucking new pads away for no real reason

I've got slight cracking in mine. It was an advisory in my MOT. My mechanic said they'll be fine but keep an eye on it and change them if the cracks get bigger. If I was having issues though I would bite the bullet and get new disks/pads; otherwise you might find yourself chucking new pads away for no real reason

Micro cracking like the ones in the pictures is nothing to worry about, you just need to monitor them and change them once larger crack start to appear

Are the discs EBC turbo grooves, only 3 grooves in the disc.

If they are brake judder is common on this pattern of disc, if you read the small print in the guarantee I believe EBC advise Procut disc skim after fitting new to eliminate problems later.

If the cracking is micro and only in the surface and not around the grooves there is a good chance skimming is an option.

Okay cheers for the advice chaps. They were on the car already, but that is the pattern yes tophooker (lol) However they were fine before I had to brake hard from a very spirited speed! They still bite well, but the juddering and cracks/dark spots are just a bit worrying

I just got my discs skimmed yesterday mate- front axle. I am running relatively new mtec grooved discs. had exactly the same symptoms you describe above. They seem fine now, but I'm ordering new pads to fit.

Edited by GT Driver
  • Like 1

As all the above, however check for a pad deposit (imprint) as that may be all that is wrong.

Pad deposit is extremely common and happens when you sit with your foot on the brake at traffic light etc after a spirited drive.

Easily burnt off with a bed in procedure.

Alex, :)

• Like 1

So my discs are skimmed and have 7 miles on them but I jacked up the car last night and noticed they are still rubbing at a point, is this normal? I can't feel it during driving though where I very much could before. You can hear it in video.

Also, here is a close up inspection of the disc after cutting, note the cutting lines of possible high spots:

Any thoughts?

Edited by GT Driver

• 2 weeks later...

The lines are known as ghosting, I am betting the inside face has offset grooves to the outside.

To eliminate the lines as much as possible a new carbide insert should be used in the cutting tool and the finish cut should be done 1 side at a time to minimise ghosting.

The fact you can feel a rub suggests the symptoms of judder have been treated but not the long term cause of the judder.

IMO the judder will be back within 1500 miles.

Sorry to be the bearer of not good news, time will tell.

Well so far so good. I have put new pads in, so see if there any improvement over the long term. I get so many varying opinions about what is actually causing it. Fact is, I should have changed the pads at the time of changing the discs and I've put it down to poor pad to disc transfer. Time will tell indeed. If it's the case it returns then the discs are being binned.

Edited by GT Driver

In my experience, probably the wheels.

Take some pictures of the mating face of the wheels and post up. I will have a look.

Interesting- good point. I did have a lot of paint flaking on the inside of the wheel from fitting and removing. Would a good clean sort it out do you reckon?

Well.... had front wheels off today. Discovered a lot of flaked paint on 1) Disc hub surface and 2) Wheel mating surface.

20140808_200150_zpss9ljvp8t.jpg

20140808_200144_zpsronlje6s.jpg

Scraped a ridiculous amount of paint off. The wheels were refurbed at some point and the quality around the hub area was not great. I cleaned it up fairly well so hopefully it's made an improvement.