The Civic type r is back :(

addisj

My Zed went in for a service yesterday, Fujitsubo exhaust, Plenum spacer and Berks HFC's to be fitted as well as clutch adjustment and an overall inspection.

The garage I use has pool cars thankfully, I sold my old Civic to them after the head gasket went a few months back and now I have it back int he mean time.

I forgot how bl00dy loud this thing is with the blueflame exhaust. Disapproving looks from bystanders and my ears are still ringing.

Man I miss the Zed!

I had a 2.0 hyundai coupe when I was 18, I remember it being REALLY fast, I'd love to drive it now and see what it compares like :lol:

I had a 1.6 Leon (SPORT!!!!!) when I was 18 with the fatest exhaust you have ever seen. Didnt matter if you where doing 1200rpm or 6000 rpm the tone was still the same :lol:

I wouldn't say the zed is a much better car than a Type R, it's a different kind of experience. I'd argue the civic is actually more fun to drive due to less weight and a sharper set up. The zed is slightly quicker in a straight line, more comfy, makes a better noise and more toys, but the civic is a great car, although loud exhausts on them is a bit cringworthy

I wouldn't say the zed is a much better car than a Type R, it's a different kind of experience. I'd argue the civic is actually more fun to drive due to less weight and a sharper set up. The zed is slightly quicker in a straight line, more comfy, makes a better noise and more toys, but the civic is a great car, although loud exhausts on them is a bit cringworthy

The z isn't as good as a cayman s to drive but it shits on a civic type r from a great height.

One is a front wheel drive family hatch back to other is a rwd sports car with a v6!

The z isn't as good as a cayman s to drive but it shits on a civic type r from a great height.

One is a front wheel drive family hatch back to other is a rwd sports car with a v6!

Lol fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I prefer my zed to previous type R's, but to say it shits on them from a great height is a nonsense, different cars with different strengths and weaknesses.

Lol fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I prefer my zed to previous type R's, but to say it shits on them from a great height is a nonsense, different cars with different strengths and weaknesses.

if practicality is of high importance them yes but i cant see it any other way

Why does everyone have to mention a Cayman S when they talk about a Zed? Is it the new clique-y thing I'm missing out on? Or does everyone just like to drop the P bomb these days?

Nothing wrong with a CTR, loved mine :) although didn't have a stupid exhaust on it.. Okay it did for about 5 minutes, spoon N1 catback.. Soon came off again.

Why does everyone have to mention a Cayman S when they talk about a Zed? Is it the new clique-y thing I'm missing out on? Or does everyone just like to drop the P bomb these days?

Nothing wrong with a CTR, loved mine :) although didn't have a stupid exhaust on it.. Okay it did for about 5 minutes, spoon N1 catback.. Soon came off again.

nothing wrong with lil Honda ive had a few but they arnt even close stock for stock imo ones a gt sports car the others a granny mover with a shouty engine

I have to say I disagree, I think the Zed is in a completely different league. Cant be arsd to go into detail, Friday afternoons are tiring enough as it is zzz

Maybe because it's a comparable car rather than a fwd hatch back?

I'm personally not keen on the caymans looks but they're great to drive.

The Z only 'slightly' faster than a type r :lol: :lol: :lol:

For reference when mine was stock as was one of my best mates ep3 type r, he wanted to see how much he would lose by as a laugh, I have never seen something dissappear so fast in the rear view :lol:

Edited by Arran

The Z only 'slightly' faster than a type r :lol: :lol: :lol:

well people clearly disagree with me then, I'll pick up my bag on the way out :lol:

seriously though, I have no real world experience on a Zed against a EP3 so my perception on how fast the EP3 is based on a couple of years ago when I last had one, but to me the Zed feels only slightly quicker than the EP3 did. You guys who've obviously come up against one on a private race track clearly have a real world comparison :lol: On paper the EP3 has 167bhp/ton compared with 178bhp/ton on the 2004 Zed I have, that is not a big difference and certainly not enough to see a Zed off into the sunset! Obviously later Zed's have a bit more power.

For me the joy of the Zed is a much more flexible engine, a lovely V6 sound and a balanced rear wheel drive chassis. However, I often wish it had a bit more at the top of the rev range like the EP3, along with the fantastic Honda gearbox and less weight. Then the Zed would be fantastic.

the difference is manly down to RWD mate

fastest lap of a stock EP3 on the ring is 8:47

fastest lap of a stock 350Z on the ring is 8:26

both driven by Horst Von Saurma

just to put it into comparison ive seen slightly tinkered ie exhaust and intake ep3 struggle to run a sub 15 second pass on the 1/4 mile yet some 350zs have got 13.8-13.9 on a good run with similar mods

Main things that do my head in with the Civic;

1. skittish.. I am contantly looking for slight dips in the road when cornering

2. No torque

3. all that screaming and the feeling of not really getting anywhere, I guess this also could be explained as 'no torque'

4. tons of road noise

5. Any longer than 30 mins drive is tiring

6. makes me drive like a w@nk3r for some reason

7. Steering has zero feel

Its true about the gearbox though, its very very good as are the seats.

6. makes me drive like a w@nk3r for some reason

Funny you say that my time in the honda Scene going to meets like Mimms etc it was always the EP3 boys doing wheel spins bouncing the limiter ragging around the car part not he integras or the Ek9 or any of the FN cars, i dunno what it is about the EP3 that just brings the chav out in people

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1