Anyone decatted their zed?

Sarnie

I would consult your insurer Liam, indeed, take it for an emissions test, if it passes, then you should be in the clear.

If it doesnt then check with the insurer if an emissions failure would invalidate your insurance. Insurance companies dont like paying out, and if they can try to find excuses not to pay out for a normal car, then you can bet they would look for any excuse under the sun to avoid paying out on a total loss of say an 85k car.

Better to be safe than sorry I would think.

Cheers,

Its pretty much safe to assume that it would not pass an emmissions test i think, which is fine. I was just looking at the legal side of insurance not paying out based on this even though my car has an mot for another 11 months. Although saying that, as long as they know about the decats, how can then turn around and say the decats void the insurance? :wacko:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of whether the insurance company will pay out since you basically have an illegal car - even though they know about it, I think you are asking for trouble posting up that you have the car set-up this way, It's only asking for the cops to pull you over IMO. [As an aside, would this leave your wife in an awkward position being that she is a copper]

Its an intersting thread, but if it were me, I'd ask for it to be removed now :)

TBH I can't see the police trawling this forum and getting excited over a thread called "Has anyone decatted their Zed?". We know the police do look at the forums but they won't be reading every post and I suspect they're looking for "Wasted a 911 on the M4..." or "Hit 100 in Chester City Centre" type threads. Anyone know different?

I would consult your insurer Liam, indeed, take it for an emissions test, if it passes, then you should be in the clear.

If it doesnt then check with the insurer if an emissions failure would invalidate your insurance. Insurance companies dont like paying out, and if they can try to find excuses not to pay out for a normal car, then you can bet they would look for any excuse under the sun to avoid paying out on a total loss of say an 85k car.

Cheers,

Its pretty much safe to assume that it would not pass an emmissions test i think, which is fine. I was just looking at the legal side of insurance not paying out based on this even though my car has an mot for another 11 months. Although saying that, as long as they know about the decats, how can then turn around and say the decats void the insurance? :wacko:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of whether the insurance company will pay out since you basically have an illegal car - even though they know about it, I think you are asking for trouble posting up that you have the car set-up this way, It's only asking for the cops to pull you over IMO. [As an aside, would this leave your wife in an awkward position being that she is a copper]

Its an intersting thread, but if it were me, I'd ask for it to be removed now :)

TBH I can't see the police trawling this forum and getting excited over a thread called "Has anyone decatted their Zed?". We know the police do look at the forums but they won't be reading every post and I suspect they're looking for "Wasted a 911 on the M4..." or "Hit 100 in Chester City Centre" type threads. Anyone know different?

According to my Mrs, the police don't have enough officers on the beat so not sure how they could spare officers to trawl the net trying to nick people for 'potential' crimes that they have no evidence of. I'm sure if someone posted a video of them doing 150 mph and someone forwarded it to the police, i could see them then having a nose about buts thats it imo :)

Guest prescience

Cheers,

According to my Mrs, the police don't have enough officers on the beat so not sure how they could spare officers to trawl the net trying to nick people for 'potential' crimes that they have no evidence of. I'm sure if someone posted a video of them doing 150 mph and someone forwarded it to the police, i could see them then having a nose about buts thats it imo :)

I'm 100% sure that is correct - my angle is the 'jealously' one, a copper sees that there is a lambo in brum, probably running ilegally, has a word with his mate, saying 'we'll have that guy'

I'm sure in the real world all coppers are upstanding, hard-working etc and don't think in this way at all ;)

Cheers,

I'm 100% sure that is correct - my angle is the 'jealously' one, a copper sees that there is a lambo in brum, probably running ilegally, has a word with his mate, saying 'we'll have that guy'

I'm sure in the real world all coppers are upstanding, hard-working etc and don't think in this way at all ;)

There is an element of that, but its not limited to cops. I was talking to my neighbour yesterday, he could get the hump with the noise and call the cops too etc etc.

I live a quater of a mile from a cop shop so all the local bobbies know my car and they all nod and wave to me whereas i got pulled 4 times in the UY zed. Will just have to make sure i don't blip the throttle past the cop shop :lol:

Had a US cop pull me over when I was in the 350 (he didn't clock me on radar), and started talking about my "rice burner" exhaust. I told him that this Z was no rice burner, but a real deal race car, and asked him if he wanted to see under the hood. He said OK, and was suitably dazzled. So, after 15-20 minutes of talking cars, he said gotta go, see ya. It might have been a pretty brazen move, but it worked! :D

Around here the young kids put these horribly annoying "coffee can" mufflers on their Civics and such. It doesn't do anything for performance, but they seem to think the nasty sound is cool. My 350 sounds nothing like them although it is quite a bit louder than stock, but has a deeper tone. Anyway, the kids with the "coffee can" exhausts are commonly called "ricers" and their cars are likewise "rice burners" -- even if it's a US auto maker compact/subcompact product. They also have the temerity to rev their engines when stopped at traffic lights -- the sign of a challenge to nearby cars for a street race. It doesn't matter if they're revving at a car that has 200 or more horsepower than their cars. They also have a propensity for abbreviated life spans due to incredible crashes.

• 5 months later...

Just to bump an old topic...

Anyone ever decat with the stock exhaust? I know it's more common to change the backbox first, but I was just wondering if anyone had left the stock box in place with a decat, and what the volume was like on it? Any noticeable power loss due to the lack of back-pressure?

Dan

Just to bump an old topic...

Anyone ever decat with the stock exhaust? I know it's more common to change the backbox first, but I was just wondering if anyone had left the stock box in place with a decat, and what the volume was like on it? Any noticeable power loss due to the lack of back-pressure?

I did. There was a big increase in noise :teeth: I never felt any loss of power but a recent dyno with an exhaust & y-pipe fitted showed a loss of around 30 ft/lb. Ive got a video somewhere of my z with decats & stock exhaust, i'll see if I can find it and put it up :thumbs:

It does. You can fit Non foulers but mine still came up with a CEL, even after an ECU reset it would come back within 50miles. I bought an OBD reader & Digimoto software & once I used that to do an ECU reset I never had the CEL return

So clearing the codes via an OBDII reader got rid of them permanently, yup?

I see you went for HFCs in the end, was this to get the power back in the mid-range, the sound or simply because you didn't want to faff around at MOT time? Sorry to be a PITA with all the newbie questions BTW, I really appreciate your help.

Dan

So is there actually any point in de-catting at all? Minimal power gains/potential losses and a bit more nosie. Might aswell just fit a K&N filter :lol:

My golf is decatted but that gained me around 10bhp, and its a PITA come MOT time. Luckily I know a man who can but that is besides the point.

• 2 weeks later...

That's proper loud, that is. I think it's probably a bit too loud for me personally, but I really appreciate you digging that video out for me., if nothing else it's saved me the cash that a set of decat pipes cost! :D

decatting will decrease torque on the VQ35 engine. It requires a bit of back pressure to give you the torque that you are used to. Many owners have commented on the slight loss in torque during this mod. yes it does sound good decatted!