Anyone decatted their zed?

Sarnie

Yep, mine is decatted. Not sure about the legal side of things but if my car fails the MOT then ill get my mate to stick the standard cats in.

My insurance know the car is deccated & did not have an issue with it :thumbs:

Yep, mine is decatted. Not sure about the legal side of things but if my car fails the MOT then ill get my mate to stick the standard cats in.

Ok, your insurance know the car is decatted, but do they know thats its probably not road legal due to the emmissions you are now producing? Had my Tubi zorst fitted yesterday and had it decatted at the same time. Posted the details on another site and a few people have said that they would never decat theirs as it will void the insurance due to being non road legal now! Very confusing....... :headhurt:

Ok, your insurance know the car is decatted, but do they know thats its probably not road legal due to the emmissions you are now producing? Had my Tubi zorst fitted yesterday and had it decatted at the same time. Posted the details on another site and a few people have said that they would never decat theirs as it will void the insurance due to being non road legal now! Very confusing....... :headhurt:

dont worry mate , the insurance co. will never know if you dont tell 'em ;)

I would consult your insurer Liam, indeed, take it for an emissions test, if it passes, then you should be in the clear.

If it doesnt then check with the insurer if an emissions failure would invalidate your insurance. Insurance companies dont like paying out, and if they can try to find excuses not to pay out for a normal car, then you can bet they would look for any excuse under the sun to avoid paying out on a total loss of say an 85k car.

Better to be safe than sorry I would think.

Scaremongers :yawn:

No matter what mods people do there is always someone that says the insurance is void. My insurance company know that it is decatted but nobody knows what emissions its putting out becuase its never been tested - therefore it may be legal ;)

IMO aslong as your insurance are aware they are fitted & you have a valid MOT there should be no problems.

The only way a decat will be discovered is when an MOT is done, I have never heared of anyone being pulled over because the police have a hunch that the car is decatted.

Like I said my insurance company are happy for them to be fitted and aslong as I pass an MOT every year they will stay fitted :)

But what if i smash it up, they send it to lambo for an inspection and find there's no cats...... :surrender:

But what if i smash it up, they send it to lambo for an inspection and find there's no cats...... :surrender:

Why would they send it for inspection ??..in all my years dealing with Insurance Assessors they have never mentioned anything about different exhausts being fitted when they wrote bikes off or sanctioned repairs

As I say, insurance companies look for the obvious resons not to pay out on norma claims, I can only imagine in the event of a total loss claim for an 85k car, they may be a bit more interested and MAY try to use that as an excuse. As others say, its unlikely - but not impossible.

I would suggest if you are in the slightest bit worried, you should call your insurer and check.

I would consult your insurer Liam, indeed, take it for an emissions test, if it passes, then you should be in the clear.

If it doesnt then check with the insurer if an emissions failure would invalidate your insurance. Insurance companies dont like paying out, and if they can try to find excuses not to pay out for a normal car, then you can bet they would look for any excuse under the sun to avoid paying out on a total loss of say an 85k car.

Cheers,

Its pretty much safe to assume that it would not pass an emmissions test i think, which is fine. I was just looking at the legal side of insurance not paying out based on this even though my car has an mot for another 11 months. Although saying that, as long as they know about the decats, how can then turn around and say the decats void the insurance? :wacko:

True - I think its a longshot that they would void it for not being able to pass an emissions test, but if there is any uncertainty, or you have the slightest bit of worry, then just make a few calls and get it double checked for your own piece of mind if nothing else.

You dont want to be driving round with a niggling thought in the back of your mind. Im a born worrier, so it would drive me bonkers. A quick call may set your mind at ease one way or the other.

I think you need to be careful.

Just because an insurance company are aware of something, it doesn't make it legal.....

If your car is illegal eg all brake lights out, and you tell them, they may well say fine. It can have an MOT etc. but if it is found to have been illegal then I'm sure there will be a clause in your terms that say the insurance is still void if there is anything illegal about the car.

IMO As long are you have informed them that its got the decat it will be fine.

If the cars in an accident such that its a right off I am going to hazzard a guess and say the engine will not run thus there would be no way to prove it would fail the emissions - that said I have never heard of anyone refused insurance on a modified car due to it being illegal (where they informed them of the mod that is)

If the assessor comes and looks at the car they are only going to bother looking for things that could affect crashes etc - the exhaust is not really going to make much difference. They are much more liable to pick up stuff like different suspension etc.

Are sports cats not available for the Lambo? The price to put in and out cats at mot time on your car would probably warrant the price alone! That and it's not illeagal etc.

They do but they are about £1200, which now will be like a backward step and lots of dough!!! :blush:

Here in the States, my no-cat Z (and Borla dual exhaust) is a heck of a lot quieter than the average Muskrat V-8 with FlowMasters. California has very strict emissions standards, and I haven't heard of a no-cat Z failing the test. The VQ-35 is a pretty efficient and clean burning engine. Probably the only reason they even put cats on the Z is that the laws require cats. I've never had a problem getting my 350 through its annual state inspection--the last inspector had a tough time with the clutch though; guess he'd never driven a car with a quick grabbing, no slip racing clutch. :lol:

Guest prescience

Cheers,

Its pretty much safe to assume that it would not pass an emmissions test i think, which is fine. I was just looking at the legal side of insurance not paying out based on this even though my car has an mot for another 11 months. Although saying that, as long as they know about the decats, how can then turn around and say the decats void the insurance? :wacko:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of whether the insurance company will pay out since you basically have an illegal car - even though they know about it, I think you are asking for trouble posting up that you have the car set-up this way, It's only asking for the cops to pull you over IMO. [As an aside, would this leave your wife in an awkward position being that she is a copper]

Its an intersting thread, but if it were me, I'd ask for it to be removed now :)

Cheers,

Whatever the rights and wrongs of whether the insurance company will pay out since you basically have an illegal car - even though they know about it, I think you are asking for trouble posting up that you have the car set-up this way, It's only asking for the cops to pull you over IMO. [As an aside, would this leave your wife in an awkward position being that she is a copper]

Its an intersting thread, but if it were me, I'd ask for it to be removed now :)

Not going to ask for it to be deleted mate. The insurance company know exactly how my car is set up and everything in this thread is opinion or hearsay as there seems to be no definitive answer :thumbs:

The best solution is to just not crash it :)