confusing oil level.

dannybz

Checked oil level today, went for a little drive got it up to temp, then let her cool down for 20 mins or so. Check oil level and the side that does not have the L M levels on looks coated with oil but the other side with the L M looks a bit bare? Totally confused does this mean lil is low or have i got enough? lol

PIcs here top with oil coated that was not on the reading side. the other pics are is the side of the dipstick which has the L M on.

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

What you need to do imo is this;

Leave the car on a flat level surface overnight. In the morning (when the oil is cold) pull the dipstick completely out and wipe it clean. Re-insert the dipstick fully into place and wait 5 seconds or so.

Then slowly and carefully pull the dipstick completely out and check the level on the sides with the marks. It should be up to the top mark really.

I always check my oil when cold and recommend you do the same. :thumbs:

i always thought and was taught by VW oil should be checked when at normal operation temperatures

Makes no sense to me ~ every car I have ever owned (including a Mk3 Golf VR6) I have always checked the oil when cold and on flat ground.

You're trying to assess how much oil is in the engine after all so imo you need to leave it overnight for as much of the oil as possible to drain through back to the sump which is where you are reading the level from.

If the engine has not been turned off long ago then there will still be oil trapped around the engine in galleries and on components. Giving you a less than true reading imo. ;)

Edit: spelling doh (access = assess)

Edited by GMballistic

i always thought and was taught by VW oil should be checked when at normal operation temperatures

Makes no sense to me ~ every car I have ever owned (including a Mk3 Golf VR6) I have always checked the oil when cold and on flat ground.

You're trying to access how much oil is in the engine after all so imo you need to leave it overnight for as much of the oil as possible to drain through back to the sump which is where you are reading the level from.

If the engine has not been turned off long ago then there will still be oil trapped around the engine in galleries and on components. Giving you a less than true reading imo. ;)

isnt that the point

if your checking it full and its ok then once it circulated drops below minimum and starves youve got an issue

if you check it after its been turned over and oil pressure is built if its above the level you no its safe as it wont be below that level,

every mechanic ive known when doing an oil change will top it up with oil check it start it for 20-30 seconds then check it to make sure during operations its not below the minimum level

Edited by StevoD

You're trying to access how much oil is in the engine after all so imo you need to leave it overnight for as much of the oil as possible to drain through back to the sump which is where you are reading the level from.

isnt that the point

if your checking it full and its ok then once it circulated drops below minimum and starves youve got an issue

if you check it after its been turned over and oil pressure is built if its above the level you no its safe as it wont be below that level,

every mechanic ive known when doing an oil change will top it up with oil check it start it for 20-30 seconds then check it to make sure during operations its not below the minimum level

As far as I'm aware the marks on the dipsticks are for checking the level when the oil is cold.

May differ between manufacturers but I've done it that way on every car I've owned since 1997 and never had a problem with my oil levels. My Honda EP3 wouldn't have gone into VTEC if the oil was too low and that always ran well. :shrug:

If you're happy doing it your way then keep doing it ~ I'm going to keep doing it from cold though thanks. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I seldom do this, but I just checked in the owner's manual!

It says...

1. Park on level surface
  2. Run engine until at operating temperature
  3. Turn off engine and wait more than 10 minutes for oil to drain back in to the oil pan
  4. Remove dipstick, clean and re-insert
  5. Remove dipstick and check level is between H & L
  6. Top up if below L, do not overfill.

Personally, I check the level when it's fully cold - first thing in the morning.

Mobil America say this, http://www.mobiloil....Oil_Levels.aspx

We recommend checking the oil level either before turning on the engine, or 5 to 10 minutes after shutting down so you can have all the oil in the oil pan to get an accurate measurement.

Leading me to believe I'm correct with the dipstick level marks being there to indicate oil levels when cold and there is as much oil in the sump as possible. :D

Okay checked today before even starting looks quite low i think... surprising since when i purchased her a few weeks ago was meant to have a full oil and filter change.. hmmm makes me wonder... unless i have caning it too hard. I only done around 700 miles though.

Now i tried taking offt he oil cap, and for the life of me i can not get it off.. which way is it meant to turn clockwise or anti? seems like its friggen glued on!