Ipad Install- Would you be interested?

cmr1991

Would you be interested in an Ipad/Tablet Install   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in Ipad/Tablet Install In Center Console?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all,

We are debating in starting making a prototype version of this :

img2816a.jpg

It can house an iPad, or Tablet. there will be a built in housing dock so it charges when the car is running etc.

We would like some strong interest before we start making these, Yes, No, YEs and why, no and why not?

What would you like to see, what wouldn't you like to see?

just a bit of general market research.

Colours of the console can be pretty much any you desire, or in any material.

Regards

Hey,

Talking pounds and pence, if you wanted one :

(NOT SUPPLYING YOUR OWN CENTRE CONSLE) we would be talking in the region of £230 - that is in gloss black.

(SUPPLYING YOUR OWN CONSOLE) On a post to me I post back scenario - £150 - that again is in gloss black. I will also like to add on this point that you do not need to post me your console until yours is ready to be shipped out, so you don't have to take it out your car until its completed.

Other styles again will vary on price, It will be made of fibreglass,

can also be hydro-dipped (we don't do hydro-dipping but use a company that does, so we can get it cheaper)

Obviously I do not supply the iPads.Tablets.

Price will drop if we have an order of 3 or 4 for the same model of tablet/ipad)

I think the price is fair compared to the amount of work that will be needed,

Regards

Edited by cmr1991

hmmm...^^ not for me personally....looks a bit big...

BUT

seen this on 350Z FB group, and that looks quite cool...

Ipad mini install...and I will be intrested in that, instead of full size Ipad :)

IMG_3630_zps796273f4.jpg

I agree the iPad mini does look good -

The design can vary depending on the iPad/Tablet,

Sadly the full size iPad won't go horizontally on the centre console, but the iPad mini for instance will.

Also, would a charing dock be something that you could class as a "MUST HAVE" or more of an option to plug and play with the USB and access to the AUX port of the iPad

Also The iPad install is easy to make it removable, the iPad mini looks fixed, however I am sure that I could design almost like a case that fits the iPad mini that just slots into the adapted centre console.

Edited by cmr1991

I think personally I would prefer something like the picture in Vlad's post, built into the console sort of thing. I'd be quite keen to able to keep it out of sight when I'm not in the car too. Just my personal taste of course which may not fit with the majority.

I can Imagine the iPad Mini set-up will the most popular here.

The only issue wit that iPad mini install is that its fixed, but I will be able to work around that and have two options. With it being fixed again, a switch of some-sorts will have to be - relocated to turn on/off and lock the device, which would be costly and basically taking the Mini apart.

However, I think, A fixed case build into the centre console, with a cubby lid (probably custom made, like a slide down version or similar) can be fabricated, that the iPad fixes in and out of what not in use. all fiberglassed in so it looks stock.

Throw your ideas at me folks and I will get working on some designs and ideas later on this week :)

Maybe set up your ideas in clear bullet points so I can just grab the details and brain storm them all together :

for instance

- Ipad Mini

- Horizontally

-Fixed case but removable iPad.

- Charging dock built in not necessary but the option has to be there to use the AUX cable/usb sock on the mini to run music through

- Cubby lid needs to stay intact, or like Vlads Photo it doesn't really matter.

another Idea for you folks - This is a fixed iPad Mini, However I could design it on the same basis but in a removable slim line case, that you could take your mini in and out of. Streaming etc wouldnt be an issue as you could do it via bluetooth or wifi with the Right HU.

IMG_3791_zps8aaa33c0.jpg

• Like 1

See I'd want that, with a decent lid / shutter on it so I could hide it away. Once it was in I'd have no plans to keep removing it, it's a bit of a faff and easier to steal if I forget it.

You would prefer it in a perm fixed position, with a Usb lead ran down the back which you can plug into the HU- that way it will charge when the engine is running and power on only by the engine running, obviously it will hold charge as normal once charged.

To stream it you can do that wirelessly via the laptop (Y)

I Think its just best for me to do three units here as a prototype,

1 ) Ipad mini in fixed position.

2) Ipad mini with a fixed case but you can easily pop the mini in and out, however there would be no USB attached as the case would be so tight that you can slot it into place.

3) the larger iPad style.

I shall get to work on it :)

Hmm,

I Will make one for the iPad mini first fixed, See how it looks and functions when finished.

Then will hunt out 2 or 3 Android tabs and make them to that spec. There is so many tablets available I could go on forever making different consoles etc, the beauty with the iPad ones I could mass produce them from the same moulds etc.

I'm already in the process of my iPad mini install.

Have you done your research especially with the ipad retina?

I'm going full DA (post number 512) http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/48567-my-350z-from-the-beginning-v8-heading-to-the-zed-shed/page__st__500

There's already a kit in America by Soundman.ca for the iPad mini.

I've spent the last 8 months researching the iPad mini and install options. Just make sure you've got all the right info before you land yourself or customers with added costs.

I'm already in the process of my iPad mini install.

Have you done your research especially with the ipad retina?

I'm going full DA (post number 512) http://www.350z-uk.c...d/page__st__500

There's already a kit in America by Soundman.ca for the iPad mini.

I've spent the last 8 months researching the iPad mini and install options. Just make sure you've got all the right info before you land yourself or customers with added costs.

Hey buddy, hope all is well :)

As mentioned here several times just gauging interest before I even start playing around! I know it can be done, its been done as proved.

So will gather up the interest, sort out thats bits and bobs, sort out my final prototype then bring it to the people!

I'm good matey, but when it comes to connectivity, an iPad retina will not charge from a head unit. Apple changed either the voltage or amp rating for charging and pretty much all head units at this present time will not charge the iPad mini retina.

The iPad mini (pre-retina) is fine.

You'll have no issue in fitting, it's the connectivity that you need to work on most.

I'm good matey, but when it comes to connectivity, an iPad retina will not charge from a head unit. Apple changed either the voltage or amp rating for charging and pretty much all head units at this present time will not charge the iPad mini retina.

The iPad mini (pre-retina) is fine.

You'll have no issue in fitting, it's the connectivity that you need to work on most.

Thought that much I have a iPad air retina for my own use here now and that won't charge via my car, however I did read up the mini would. however for the bigger versions of the iPad the way I go around that was by buying a voltage increaser (not sure the technical name for it) plugged into the 12v and then my iPad charged fine.

Mentioned earlier BM. Followed him for an age.

If you search Soundman SRT8 the install identifies the retina with the increased voltage needed. This is my current stumbling block but I'm about to test another docking station from Onkyo which may do the job.

Which will mean that my Pure i20 will be up for sale in the future.