Oil in Spark Plug tube

Dicky

Had my spark plugs changed the other day and the garage told me that on one of the tubes into which the spark plug fits had oil in it. The tube, which goes into the right hand cylinder head apparently has

O rings fitted (they weren't sure exactly how it goes together) and they suspected oil was passing one of these and filling up the spark plug tube. Has anyone got experience of this problem or has stripped the engine down to a level where access to these O rings is possible and can tell me if it's much of a job ie can the average Joe tackle it.

I've attempted to provide a short cut below to the manual drawing showing the three tubes coming out of the head (not to good with the old computer malarkey so may well be a drop off)

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/350Z/coupe/2004_Coupe+Roadster/EM.pdf#page79

Thanks lads this is a great forum for help and advice.

Apologies for appearing a bit mentally challenged by what I'm about to say next but want to be sure I've got it right because the garage planted a slightly different picture in my mind.

The problem is due to O rings which form part of the rocker (cam) cover leaking and I will need to either fit a new rocker cover or I can buy these O rings separately and replace them in the rocker cover.

There are no O rings, only oil seals which are part of the cover, however you will have to replace the gaskets if you remove the cover as they form a seal between the cover and the head. You have a leaking oil seal in this instance. Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

A problem I have too. I am aware that Clark sell the parts, but ive found a Nissan dealer on eBay selling the full set for 227.69

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Obviously you will have to pay import tax so I've no idea which works out cheaper, just showing you an option.

@Clark Motorsport - It is reassuring to know that it wont develop into any worse problems however so thanks for that! Just wish Nissan made the o-ring seal things independently replaceble! I just keep checking and topping up the oil :)

Edited by cs2000

Abbey spotted that I had two leaking spark plug tubes (one in each cam cover) last year and I was readying myself to have to replace both covers.

They in fact fitted two repaired covers (after I had had them carbon dipped - see my build thread - shameless show off that I am!) and took my old ones back in to stock to carry out the same repair.

I don't know what they did but I assume it was a permanent fix and all I had to pay for was the labour to remove, rectify and refit.

David