HELP! Engine sounds like hell

cjh

Very concerned about my Z's engine, sounds rough on tick over and terrible sound when you turn the engine off. Its a 54 with 67k miles, no apparent loss of performance, starts everytime, might be a little high on fuel consumption (but what z isnt?). Had its big service at nissan Nov 2013 but they didnt do the spark plugs (they forgot to order them!!!) and they said the exhaust was a little corroded. Went through MOT last month.

The first 15 seconds is recorded inside the car the rest im holding the phone out of the window. Its the noise right as the engine is turned off at the end of the recording that worries me:

http://hdthreesixty.com/350z/engineshutdown.mp3

Will take it to the garage ASAP, but the guys on here seem to know more than they do so thought i would try here first. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ouch, that's not a nice noise.

First of all, why have you not been back to get the plugs done? That's just crazy, especially if you paid for a major service.

Secondly, what's the oil level and what is the consumption like? I'm going to take a stab and say that you probably don't check it very often, apologies if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys. Last time i checked oil was about 6 weeks ago and everything looked good (youre right i should check more often)....will check again this evening. No warning lights on the dash, will look for smoke from exhaust later but nothing noticeable before but then i havent really been looking for it. Thanks again will get back later.

I can't hear the audio at work, so can't comment on the noise. However, I can't believe you get a nasty engine noise after not checking the oil for six weeks, and it's not the first thing you do! :surrender:

I hope it's not low or it could be very costly.

Good luck, hope it's nothing serious. :)

The non-mechanic type person here would just mention checking all around the car to isolate the source of the noise, make sure the exhaust/manifold is not loose and rattling etc.

If all that checks out, listen to the experts :)