Suggestions please for a friend's next car.

Peak 370

Whatever he goes for will be a compromise. Good budget though.

If I was him, I would go for a cheaper car though and put some money aside for the next divorce :thumbs:

some what agree.... get the cheap car and some thing stupid for the weekends, cant give anything to the 2nd wife if you are bankrupt :)

GTR is my pic off the day :-) it's fast got 4 seats and has a boot for putting stuff in it simples

2+2 rather than a 4 seater. Boot isn't exactly that big either.

For a big car, space is at a premium. Still an absolute hoot though!

Because the porsche boot is so large ;) not to mention the parcel shelf behind the front seats :D

In all honesty, I dont classify the GTR as having rear seats! I wouldnt drive more than 10/20 minutes with 4 people in the car. 3 people in means that the one in the back has their feet on the other section of the seat.

If even for 1 second mpg is a consideration, don't get a GTR. I've managed 16mpg over the past 5000 miles. That's tuned but why would you get a Japanese car and not play around with it!

have to agree

To recap, only space for one car.

Does not want 2 lots of mots, road tax, servicing and repairs, etc etc etc

GTR and M3 V8 way too juicy.

Define reasonable on fuel? 30 mpg on a run. 20-25 generally.

He is looking at an A45 AMG tomorrow. M135i also.

If it was me with his finances I would buy older but low miles, say a 2010 Monaro 6.2 for £18K. Petrol not so important then!

Edited by Peak 370

Modified 370Z and GTR too thirsty, he does a lot of miles.

Anyways up, he bought a December '13 Merc A45AMG and we went out in it last night. A tad of expected turbo lag but huge shove that shocks for a car with under 2 litres. Closest thing would be my 390 bhp Lancer Evo. Similar power delivery.

Ride is incredibly firm but otherwise a great all rounder. 5 doors, Good boot. Economical. M3 V8 performance.

£35K but as an AMG will hold value well.

Handling was great, as was the 7 speed box. Ride is harsh side of firm. Too much so I think.

I am not sure I would buy a 235i.

I would likely go M135i for practicality and same performance or await the 380 bhp M2.

Eh? Was this about your mate or actually about you? ;)

Ive driven a LOT of cars over the past 4/5 years and all Im saying is that the M235i is up with the absolute best, and as very few people would have had the opportunity to have a drive of one I think its worth mentioning in a thread like this.

Its noticeably improved from the 1 Series (as it should be, the chassis and geometry are different), better than the E92 M3 (feels much more wieldy and handles like it too) and its not that pricey either. The M2 sure is tempting ......... but its still the same body, same engine (albeit remapped), probably same gearbox all with an LSD whacked on it - whatever, if its as much better than the M235 as the M235 is the M135 its going to be something special.