Mileage seems to low!

craig-k

Ive been looking at buying a 350z on a 2004 plate with 64k

Just looking through the past MOT history and comparing the mileage to the service records, and seems to be abit strange.

from 14/06/13 untl 06/06/14 it covered 5,148 miles but when it had a service on 18/02/14 it was on 62,785. So out of the 5148 miles covered that year 1,926 were in the last 2 months.

Also no service took place in 2013 and 2010. hmmm

Do you think im looking to much?

The car is immaculate, based on the HD photos ive seen, due to view it tomorrow. Any obvious signs of mileage adjustment i can look out for?

MOT History

06/06/14 - 64,711

14/06/13 - 59,563

08/06/12 - 56,003

31/05/11 - 54,320

11/06/10 - 46,205

25/06/09 - 41,527

30/06/08 - 36,213

28/06/07 - 28,595

Service History

18/02/14 - 62,785

NO 2013 SERVICE

08/06/12 - 56,003

31/05/11 - 52,326

NO 2010 SERVICE

24/09/09 - 43,032

23/05/08 - 35,516

09/05/07 - 27,441

31/05/06 – 18,712

06/04/05 – 9,370

21/06/04 – Delivery

wouldn't worry about the mileage, it seems fine to me. However, I'd knock them down on price a little due to the missed services, you don't know what could be lurking under the bonnet because of that ;)

• Like 1

Mines has 37k in 9 years - so roughly 4k per year.

I would rather have a low mile versions with a few missed services than a high mile car serviced every 6 months.....but thats just me. FWIW my car is stored in a heated garage for 6 months of the year - do you think I will change the oil every 2000 miles???

As others have said, go on condition and don't let 9k between a serice worry you. Modern engine oils will easily cope with that....even over a 16 month period.

Get some pics up of the car in question. A lot of 350z are used as second cars (as only 2 seats) so many have lower than average miles.

Edited by aidan

Mines a late 2004, got it last year with 39k just over 41k now, previous owner had it from almost new kept in garage all year round and only drove now and then. I was also concerned like you but focused on condition and it was mint for age.

You actually have a great car on your hands, just give it a good going over and a decent test drive before you decide.

• Like 1

Ive been looking at buying a 350z on a 2004 plate with 64k

So out of the 5148 miles covered that year 1,926 were in the last 2 months.

I do quite a bit over 10% of my annual mileage over the 3 days of the Wales meet, around 400 miles out of an average of under 3,000 miles per year.

Pete

I would rather have a low mile versions with a few missed services than a high mile car serviced every 6 months.....but thats just me. FWIW my car is stored in a heated garage for 6 months of the year - do you think I will change the oil every 2000 miles???

Yes, it really is futile changing your oil every 2,000 miles, it's a bit like taking a dirty £20 note into the bank and giving them £25 for a new one. Look, I worked for 25 years in the engine oil additive business as a chemist so I know just how many miles and how many years engines will run under all sorts of conditions and believe me manufacturers margin in a huge safety factor into their oil change intervals....should be changed after 5 years max though even if you only do a few hundred miles a year and of course you need to have the other servicing requirements done on a regular basis.

Pete

• Like 1

Mines a 2004 and was two owner and 37500 when i bought it. First owner was doing about 2000 a year and having it serviced every year and the second owner used it as a daily and serviced it at the correct intervals.

Its now on a massive 42500 as its only a weekend toy for me.

Yes, it really is futile changing your oil every 2,000 miles, it's a bit like taking a dirty £20 note into the bank and giving them £25 for a new one. Look, I worked for 25 years in the engine oil additive business as a chemist so I know just how many miles and how many years engines will run under all sorts of conditions and believe me manufacturers margin in a huge safety factor into their oil change intervals....should be changed after 5 years max though even if you only do a few hundred miles a year and of course you need to have the other servicing requirements done on a regular basis.

Pete

Glad to see some one with sense Jet Set. :teeth:

So many get hung up on the missed service. If its done big mile between services then yes, be worried. But if not, dont be overly concerned. Modern oils are very good, as are most engines. An engine is more likely to go bang when someone doesn't treat it right. Warm them up, and then use them throughout the rev range regularly is what IMO is best.

But what do I know....25 years dealing with engines (on a slightly bigger scale than the 350z).... Im sure others will be along shortly to state that ever car not serviced every 6 months should be scrapped. :stir:

Depends how it's used, as well.

A car doing 20k up and down the motorway never going past 3000 rpm will require an oil change about the same time as a track car doing 3k miles at 7500rpm. Both cars assuming warmed up properly, of course.

Some people only do a few miles in their Zed, I did 24k the first year I owned mine :yahoo:

The distance between those dogging sites can be a right bitch

I wouldn't have minded if anyone was there, sitting in a car park dogging on your own has to be one of the loneliest passtimes :cry:

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

Mine is a 54 plate and only had 36,000 on it last year when I got it,I use it as my daily commuter and average 5000 - 6000 a year but can do 1500 miles in less than a week when I go up to Scotland so go with the condition and feel on the test drive. :thumbs: