MX5 Build thread - No hairdressing equipment left in vehicle overnight

longsh07

Yeah does need lowering quite badly :lol:

Not going to bother now until next year though, got other expenses and really want to get on track before the end of the year.

Yeah I think I will be keeping the purple theme.

I'd looked at these front/rear tow hooks from Jass Performance. They are more for show as the metal loops they attach to are not designed for towing but better than nothing if I fall off the track. Though about spraying them purple to match.

C8CT3096-250x250.jpg

_MG_7708-250x250.jpg

Also my interior has some red panels on the seats and door cars. Undecided if I should get them recovered in black and purple (leather or alcantara) or just swap the seats out for some Cobra Daytona seats.

I know a bloke who knowtrans.pngs the owner of Cobra so I could ways have a word about getting some black/purple Daytona's B)

Cobra-Daytona.jpg

What do you reckon?

Edited by longsh07

• 3 weeks later...

Like the new aerial. B)

Regarding the colour scheme thing; if I was going to get tow hooks/straps I'd rather they where actually functional. Personally I'd go for a Luke tow strap as you can get them in loads of colours, won't add weight really & it will work as it's designed to.

TOW%20LOPP%20STRAPS-500x500.jpg

Also if you can get the Cobra seats and save some more weight that's going to be better than altering the current seats imo. :thumbs:

Like the new aerial. B)

Regarding the colour scheme thing; if I was going to get tow hooks/straps I'd rather they where actually functional. Personally I'd go for a Luke tow strap as you can get them in loads of colours, won't add weight really & it will work as it's designed to.

Also if you can get the Cobra seats and save some more weight that's going to be better than altering the current seats imo. :thumbs:

Oh these hooks are functional. They are sold as for show only but apparently are stress tested to be able to tow the car. Just covering themselves by the looks of things.

Plus the location they attach to, the 'baby teeth' are only supposed to be used for securing the care during transport. The MX5 doesn't have an official tow hook anywhere!

That said, I read around and people were saying as long as its only to move the car a short distance its fine, actually towing the car on the road with them is not clever.

Regarding the weight they weigh less than the existing 'baby teeth' that poke out the front so I will be removing both the front two and possibly one on the rear.

Cant do both as I need to attach the rear hook to one. That should make up the weight difference of using a strap plus it has the added bonus of preventing anyone from trying to use both hooks at once (read horror stories about twisted chassis by doing this :scare: )

Edit:

Oh and on the seats, the more I drive the car the more I think buckets will be better, I keep sliding around on the leather as it is :lol:

Got a track taster day booked at the end of the month at Silverstone.

Two 30 minute sessions on the national circuit, can buy an extra session when I am there if I want to.

Thought this would be a good idea rather than spending £300-400 on a full day to start with if I find a problem with the MX5 while on track!

Edited by longsh07

^^ Sounds good and if you take out the leather MX5 seats I'm sure you'll be able to sell those on to regain some capital.

You should enjoy the track taster especially at Silverstone. It's a great circuit.

I've been around most of the GP circuit at Silverstone when I did a Lotus Elise experience there and loved it. Make sure you get some video if you can. B):D

Just stumbled upon this thread, interesting one for me as I quite fancy a track toy. Subscribed.

Nice work so far, You look fairly handy with the spanners, is it a relatively easy car to work on? I'm a learner who wants to get more socket time in :)

Its a fun little car I must admit but finding one without rusted out sills is a bloody nightmare. Its probably easier to find cheaper MK1's that have been repaired than anything newer with rear sills still intact!

I'm not a trained mechanic or anything but I've tinkered with my old cars, doing services and stuff then I got a 106 to learn on (build thread http://thrll.com/car/1997-peugeot-106-12869) that was probably the biggest help!

Only car I dont work on myself for services or anything is my Zed. Treat her to expert attention :lol:

In hind sight and MX5 would probably have been easier to work on than that 106. Plus parts are readily available either new or used.

That said I've not done anything serious like suspension (yet) mostly just service type stuff (except the roll bar)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Toyed with the idea of changing the grill colour then came up with this. Wanted to do it purple but was too dark so you could see the lettering.

Also won some money on my works lottery so treated myself to a new plate.

15833852941_eb60b0f480_c.jpg

15650286718_974fea1854_c.jpg

This is what I was going for :D

15650322898_925e0b1b28_c.jpg

^^ Nice little mod but not sure the plate works although it does look good.

The plate made me think of "Toyo R888" tyres so maybe you should get some of those next. :teeth:;)

That was my other thought and I probably will get some at some point :lol:

I also picked up R888 JPN for my 350 :teeth: kinda like the idea of having similar plates.

• 1 month later...