50cal Ambush Super Foam - Short Review

Stutopia

I've been using Valet Pro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam for a while now (largely because I bought 5 litres of the stuff :lol: ) and it seems to do a nice job of making a foam and removing some, but not all, of the soilage I get - mainly bird sh*t round here on the coast and brake dust. I saw a fairly impressive youtube vid of the 50cal Ambush Super Foam the other day, so I thought I'd order a bottle and see what it's like.

Anyway, here's what THEY say...

"It has a built in wax and dewatering aid to further help the rinsing of the product from the vehicle. It works extremely efficiently on the removal of break dust and road film on wheels thus potentially rendering the need to use a secondary alloy wheel cleaner unnecessary. We recommend using a starting dilution of 2-3 inches into a 1lt wash bottle, topped up with ideally deionised water that’s attached to the foaming lance. The air intake and pressure should be set to the maximum settings available. The product is also enhanced with a rich Bubblegum smell and for the real enthusiasts, we will be offering options to have the foam coloured, in due course."

http://www.50caldeta...uperfoam/4mbu5h

At £15 for half a litre it doesn't compare favourably on price to Valet Pro at twice the price for 10 times the amount. I used it at about 20% dilution, which is the upper end of their 10-20 recommendation - with waxes and stuff I think less is more, but with foam and shampoos I tend to think more is more! This consumed a fairly sizeable amount of the bottle :scare:

Ordinariliy I'd also chuck an inch of some Megs Hyperwash in the lance as well, but for a change I did what I was told - almost - I used tap water rather than de-ionised. Enough chat, here's some pics. I arranged for an open minded local bird to do a rather watery "deposit" on the car for me in the week.

IMG_4032_zps419d95ef.jpg

And a legion of crack suicide bugs happily decorated my front end too.

IMG_4034_zpse3f108f1.jpg

The foam itself goes on nice and thick

IMG_4038_zps4562994b.jpg

The bottle says it can be left for up to 30 mins to dwell. I don't know what kind of conditions it has to be outside for that to occur, but for me, it's simply unbelievable. This is after 5 minutes. The paint was bone dry before application.

IMG_4041_zpscfd373bc.jpg

It wouldn't have made it to my usual 10 minutes dwell, as the weather today was simply too warm, I could see streaks thinking about forming after about 7 minutes, so I gave the whole car a light spritz of water just to keep the surface wet. I must add that it was too warm for this today, but I only had today to wash her, so tough :)

So after a pressure wash at a reasonable distance, not one inch from the paint or anything crazy. The bird's deposit was no more.

IMG_4048_zps507fb9c9.jpg

And the bugs were yesterday's news.

IMG_4045_zpse60f2722.jpg

Obviously I've processed the plate images to remove my numbers, but I promise I didn't use iPhoto to remove the bugs - the foam did that.

Jerry's Final Thought

I like how thick this stuff goes on, it's almost a shaving foam special. I like how much grime it shifted after a short dwell. I noticed that the wheels (door forgot pics) were nicely softened up by it and the brake dust came off nice n easy with a pressure wash pass (closer than I would go on paint though). They are sealed with Rim Wax, so they're pretty easy to clean normally. I liked the smell not sure about it being bubble gum as claimed, smelt more like menthol - it's not a product that smells so good you want to drink/eat it :lol: I also liked that it seemed to leave the previous layers of protection on, judging from the water behaviour during the two bucket wash I went on to do.

I didn't like the price, bearing in mind the quantity and suggested dilution. I'm going to use half as much next time and see if the foam is still decent and the clean too. If it is, then it may become my foam of choice.

Couple of whoring pics at the end, just cos I'm like that. Just the foam, TBW with AMMO foam paint cleanser and then a Red Mist QD. Regular maintenance job.

IMG_4051_zps64e2dcc1.jpg

IMG_4052_zps366de2f6.jpg

• Like 4

Very interesting read SuperStu and great pictures. :thumbs:

A day too late for me though as I just purchased 5Litres of "Cherry snow foam". :lol: Hopefully it's just as good although the price is miles apart ~ £16.95 delivered for mine and that included a free 1Litre bottle of Rinse/Wax. B)

• Like 1

A day too late for me though as I just purchased 5Litres of "Cherry snow foam". :lol: Hopefully it's just as good although the price is miles apart ~ £16.95 delivered for mine and that included a free 1Litre bottle of Rinse/Wax. B)

Let us know how it goes, always looking for something new.

That's what I've been using for a couple of years, and it does a pretty good job imo :)

Nice write up. :thumbs:

If it helps, I used my sample at 4% on the panel, it wasn't as thick (although it did linger on the drive forever :dry: ) but it still cleaned well.

To be honest, I think 50Cal might be over-shooting with their product pricing which is a shame as they're not bad products, they're not certainly economical products either though. :lol:

Edited by ilogikal1

Nice write up. :thumbs:

If it helps, I used my sample at 4% on the panel, it wasn't as thick (although it did linger on the drive forever :dry: ) but it still cleaned well.

To be honest, I think 50Cal might be over-shooting with their product pricing which is a shame as they're not bad products, they're certainly economical products either though. :lol:

Interesting that you got good cleaning at 4%. This foam and I may yet get on.

• 2 weeks later...