Exhaust woes...

RobPhoboS

So, off came the Scorpion (which isn't quite for sale just yet, as I don't know what to do) and I fitted my new Cobra exhaust last weekend, so it's now going:

stock manifolds

h-dev decats

stillen y-pipe

non resonated cobra

First of all, it's utterly ridiculous but since it's not a daily drive I may keep it like this, or I'll be trying to find ways to turn it down slightly (maybe silenced decats).

However, for now I'm trying to figure out what the hell is making all of the rattles, as it's irritating beyond belief.

I'm hoping I can get back to the car tomorrow, and either have a go myself, or take it up to Kwikfit again for further prodding around (these guys are fine near me for this sort of thing).

Of course I've got some tips from CS, and will drop it off to Sly if I'm completely flummoxed as to what's causing it.

Please have a listen to the video if you get a chance, and thoughts as to what I can try will be helpful.

https://www.youtube....h?v=S5J0WHciVV8

Edited by RobPhoboS

Il tell you what that sounds like the y pipe hitting on the brace right under your arse, my exhaust was all fine then I changed from a japspeed y pipe to a cobra one and it started banging. In the end I wedged a peice of inter cooler hose in between the exhaust and brace and it stopped it. Check this first sounds the same as mine did.

• Like 1

The sound quality's not very good (and my Mrs is using her hair dryer), but can you tell us what you've discounted so far?

All the bolts are done up tight?

W-Bracket thing near the cats is on properly?

Exhaust hangers all ok?

Pipework all sits properly and isn't moving around / banging under acceleration / cornering / braking?

Tried wobbling the pipes while you're under the car to see if anything hits anything else?

Had a look for any rub marks?

All the heat shields ok? Not rubbing, or disintegrating?

• Like 1

Many thanks guys, as my car is currently back in Surrey, I can only prod around on the weekend with it.

So once I'm back there tomorrow, I'll get her up and start checking.

All bolts are definitely tight (I checked, and Kwikfit checked).

We moved the mid pipe bracket into the correct place, as it initially wasn't quite right.

They did check for fouling, and wobbled the pipes but nothing was obvious (of course I'll be checking again).

I didn't use any exhaust gasket sealant, is it worth putting some on ?

I know it's not rocket science, so hopefully I can at least identify the issue tomorrow.

I'll also try and take photo's if that's of any use (I probably have it on upside down or something :lol: )

Oh, and lastly I can re-record it with a proper microphone if needs be.

Edited by RobPhoboS

you do appear to have a propper mash up of gear there, ideally you want to run the same brand as it designed with the same parts if that makes sense, all it takes is each bit to be 5-7 mm out in length or angle from other brands and it can cause a right pain in the ass

• Like 1

you do appear to have a propper mash up of gear there, ideally you want to run the same brand as it designed with the same parts if that makes sense, all it takes is each bit to be 5-7 mm out in length or angle from other brands and it can cause a right pain in the ass

Yep, that's exactly what Sly said as well.

If I can stop the rattles, then I can at least figure out what to do next.

Hey guys, finally got my head underneath it :-D

Nothing is moving at all, literally perfect fit for all parts.

Heat shields are in good condition BUT I noticed that I can ping it and it moves where it's not fixed to the car, and this seems like it could be the culprit as it's thin enough to make that kind of sound.

I also checked the mid pipe fitting, does it need to be tightened up so that the bracket touches itself? (pic coming in a moment)

My y pipe was only just touching the w brace and it made a right racket at certain revs. You couldn't really tell underneath it as it felt solid, but taking it off revealed tell tale missing paint, so it had to be modded very slightly with a hammer and repainted. Sorted.

There seems to be plenty of space between all of the potential fouling places, and it's what I expected as it had to be adjusted before the stillen pipe.

The heat shields by the decats could be the culprits but only a guess.

In the cabin it seems like the decat area, like directly beneath seats.

Right, next plan of attack !

I shall try and remove the heat shields above the decats but I have 2 questions.

1: Can I remove them without removing the decats ? (car isn't near by to just go and look)

2: Once removed (if this is the cause), is there another heat shield I can put in place, as I presume they are there for a good reason.

• 2 weeks later...

you moved the mid-y pipe bracket as it wasn't quite in the right place. This is just a long shot but somebody might have moved it previously because it was banging IN the right place. Strange as that may sound it might be why. Not that it helps a lot if it's true but just thought i'd throw that in the ring. as stevo has said, mish mash of parts can cause all sorts of headaches.

Hey, oh if we're understanding each other, the guys at h-dev put the decats on and afterwards the mid-pipe was catching the cross brace. So they put a jubilee clip onto the rubber hangar thing to help keep it up rather than sagging slightly.

That's still on.

I'll see if any local place can help today.

• Like 1