Flywheel question

Dicky

I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding how many miles members are getting from their clutch and quite a few are getting high milage.

I've also read posts in the past about changing the flywheel along with the clutch as a matter of course.

Is this really necessary if your a steady driver or are the Z flywheels only good for the life of a clutch.

Changed the clutch in the wife's Zafira last week, admittedly it's not in the same league, but her flywheel looked fine after 80k miles so left it in.

Just thought I'd ask because I'd hate to buy a new flywheel only to find the old ones ok

The clutch plate is pushed against the fly wheel when the clutch is engaged, the more you slip the clutch, the more the friction material on the clutch wears against the fly wheel, and the faster the surface of the fly wheel itself wears.

Edited by mikejbry

The stock fly is also a dual mass and has 2 plates attached by springs a cush-drive system to stop the pickup being so harsh - these springs wear out over time.

Edited by Keyser

Here yer go

Since their adoption by most manufacturers, primarily for their diesel models, a dual-mass flywheel (DMF) differs from the more conventional ‘solid’ type, by having a flexible damper built within it. Intended to absorb stresses from the engine and transmission, they can fail prematurely, causing a metallic ‘clanking’ sound and/or vibration to be felt at certain engine speeds. It is recommended by many technicians that dual mass flywheels are replaced at every clutch change. Still, excessive clutch slip can put undue stress on the dual-mass flywheel and reduce its operating life.

Basically its the springs inside it that wear.

• Like 1

Well that's interesting. I've read post where members have talked about dual-mass flywheels but didn't know what they were. I can see now the good sense in changing it with the clutch. Thanks for your help, I'll defo be changing it when the clutch finally lets go.

Since their adoption by most manufacturers, primarily for their diesel models, a dual-mass flywheel (DMF) differs from the more conventional ‘solid’ type, by having a flexible damper built within it. Intended to absorb stresses from the engine and transmission, they can fail prematurely, causing a metallic ‘clanking’ sound and/or vibration to be felt at certain engine speeds. It is recommended by many technicians that dual mass flywheels are replaced at every clutch change. Still, excessive clutch slip can put undue stress on the dual-mass flywheel and reduce its operating life.

Good stuff - thanks for the info :thumbs:

• Like 1

Good stuff - thanks for the info :thumbs:

Agreed, I've just started getting engine vibration at around 3000rpm when the revs are coming down, I was already suspecting the flywheel was dead so I now suspect it even more

Whilst we're on about flywheels, is the idle chatter on the SMF appreciably louder than the DMF? I know mine is on the way out so I'm curious as to how noticeable it is. A chatter when I'm sat at the lights is the sort of thing that might drive me nuts :lol:

As far as I know a lot of the noises that mine makes are to do with the SMF which was fitted by the previous owner.

Some days it's not so bad, other days it really is serious and is about the only thing that spoils the car for me - it's not so bad at idle, just the usual clackety sounds with the clutch engaged, more while under any kind of load below around 1,600rpm. It's mostly drive-roundable, but irritating when I'm pulling into the work car park and all the people at work think my nice new car is very poorly...

http://youtu.be/pyuIL4FlVT4

This gives a good idea of the noise, if not the volume at times - I took a mate out in it the other night because he didn't believe how agricultural the noises that came from the car could be - gave it a bit of a boot at 30mph in 5th and he was amazed. When you get that reaction from someone who's daily drive is a 25 year old Land Rover 90 (a pickup at that) you know it's loud!