350z affected by weight?

whiltongee

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know or can guess how much the 350z (Almost Stock) is affected by weight. For example the affect of a passenger (e.g. 9 stone) on the 350's 0-60 or just acceleration in general? I have read on other websites saying that 100lbs (on different cars) can affect your 1/4 mile time by a second.

2. I have a trip to the Nurburgring coming up, and I was just curious what you guys think about temporary, CHEAP weight saving. For example little things such as removing the spare wheel. I have seen some people say its a bad thing, as it will effect the handling as its removing weight from the rear etc, but will this be countered by the time you save on acceleration.

3. If weight saving is recommended can anyone recommend any cheap ideas to saving weight?

4. Since I have created this forum I may as well see what you guys (from experience) think about uprev remaps? Obviously i would need to do some mods first. Relating to this anyone have any opinions on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-Z33-3-5-STAINLESS-STEEL-PERFORMANCE-EXHAUST-Y-PIPE-DOWNPIPE-W-FLEXI-/350688552716?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3A350+Z&hash=item51a6aaa70c

Will it actually do anything or is it just an eBay dealer trying to sell a pointless item?

Sorry for the 'noob' questions!

Thank you for any input!!

by created I assume you mean joined :)

personally I would by any exhaust bits from a trader on the forum. You will get great service and helpful info from the traders who all have a good reputation. I would recommend Mitz from cougar store, looking at what your looking to spend. He also has a workshop so ohe can fit the stuff as well.

TBH the main exercise for exhaust change is noise. Unless you are going to have a remap done.

• Like 1

The exhaust tat on eBay is pretty crap, as any shred of common sense would be screaming at you if its the cheapest option on ebay vs 10 others more expensive ones chances are its crap. Speak to the traders on here for properly fitting branded stuff like exhausts and the like. CS and Tarmac are a good start.

Weight savings, I think a member on here Wasso knocked about 80kgs off his car by stripping plenty out including the sound deadening material in the boot.

• Like 1

For speed, add lightness.

You'll improve everything by removing weight: Acceleration, braking, grip, handling, the lot. It's equally as important to consider where you're removing weight from: Just removing the spare is not a great idea, as you'll then push the balance forward leading to the rear wanting to spin round more easily.

Looking at your car, you have the OEM wheels which are very heavy, so upgrading to a set of Rays will make a huge difference as it's unsprung weight. The seats are heavy too with all those motors and heating and padding, so loads to be lost there as well. They're also nice and central, thinking back to the balance thing again.

If you've never been to the Ring before, leave your car exactly as it is. That's really not the place to be experimenting, especially with no insurance in place.

• Like 1

The exhaust tat on eBay is pretty crap, as any shred of common sense would be screaming at you if its the cheapest option on ebay vs 10 others more expensive ones chances are its crap. Speak to the traders on here for properly fitting branded stuff like exhausts and the like. CS and Tarmac are a good start.

Weight savings, I think a member on here Wasso knocked about 80kgs off his car by stripping plenty out including the sound deadening material in the boot.

:wave:

I think I weighed it in at 66kg

Carbon Fibre Boot

No spare wheel

Tonnau Divider removed

Some plastics which were unnecessary

Saving weight with de-cats v oem cats

I saved 1kg on lighter wheel nuts believe it or not

Aftermarket strut used instead of oem

There were other items of smaller value but the representative of swapping oem for aftermarket saved me 66kg

Characteristics of handling were noticeable, as the rear is lighter it became easier to light up the rear wheels.

In answer to question 2, unless you've "race spec'd" your car and hoping to shave 10 seconds off your lap times then leaving the spare wheel at home is a little pointless. (And judging by your ebay links you're not race ready)

If you've never been to the ring you're very unlikely to be setting world record times.

Just enjoy the ring and be safe. That's my best tip for the day.

• Like 2

if you're going to the ring for the first time you're better off spending the time making sure your car is ready, so check oil and fluid levels, tyre tread, amount of brake pad material, condition of bushings etc. A car that stops and handles properly will be worth a lot more than one that accelerates to 60 a fraction of a second faster.

• Like 1

maybe best to start practising on track before you go. Track experience and learning limits of the Zed will give you the most benefit at the ring over any mods to the car.

Apologies if you have plenty of track experience in the Zed, I was just assuming from what you wrote that this was your first trip to ring.

Also getting some decent tyres will prob be a better bet than weight saving.

Edited by bamdc2

by created I assume you mean joined :)

No he created it - it's i writing now - Just like it is Buster's Zed shed as it is in print!

Simply send all bills direct to the OP for the hosting etc :thumbs:

:lol:

@OP - spare wheel and tools out but fuel is heavy so you can also go round on with half a tank rather than a full one :thumbs:

I have to take the passenger seat out to make up for my belly - well it's that or a diet :lol:

• Like 2

I wouldn't get too excited about weight saving at this stage (albeit the Rays are the most obvious thing to do). If you think about it in terms of mathematics and percentages - with the starting weight of the Zed being nearly 3 times as much as many 7-esque cars, you have to do quite a bit to make a significant difference to times (albeit you may do quite a bit for feel - although care re balance as others have said earlier).

I would add my vote to tyres and brakes being no.1 priority.

Thanks for all the replies! I presumed the eBay stuff was crap, but I love a good bargain :p I will be having a look at the Cougar store now! Definitely would want whats best as long as I can afford it! Yeah it is my first time to the Ring so definitely need to get in some extra practice! Going with a group of friends and its more about beating them than setting records :p Yeah the wheels are one of the top on my list of things to do! I really like the Rota grid drift wheels! So they are a must buy, need to make sure I can afford them!

You'll improve everything by removing weight: Acceleration, braking, grip, handling, the lot. It's equally as important to consider where you're removing weight from: Just removing the spare is not a great idea, as you'll then push the balance forward leading to the rear wanting to spin round more easily.

Looking at your car, you have the OEM wheels which are very heavy, so upgrading to a set of Rays will make a huge difference as it's unsprung weight. The seats are heavy too with all those motors and heating and padding, so loads to be lost there as well. They're also nice and central, thinking back to the balance thing again.

If you've never been to the Ring before, leave your car exactly as it is. That's really not the place to be experimenting, especially with no insurance in place.

The Ring is not exactly the best place to go as a track day virgin. Do a few here first :scare:

I would suggest you use their Suzuki's Swifts, great fun and your covered by their insurance. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I wouldn't get too excited about weight saving at this stage (albeit the Rays are the most obvious thing to do). If you think about it in terms of mathematics and percentages - with the starting weight of the Zed being nearly 3 times as much as many 7-esque cars, you have to do quite a bit to make a significant difference to times (albeit you may do quite a bit for feel - although care re balance as others have said earlier).

Do you have any recommendations on the brakes? I have seen people say the Brembo breaks are okay if you upgrade the pads and get braided hose?

The Ring is not exactly the best place to go as a track day virgin. Do a few here first :scare:

I would suggest you use their Suzuki's Swifts, great fun and your covered by their insurance. :thumbs:

I have done track days before, just not in the Zed :p Ha going round on a swift does sound pretty fun!

Do you have any recommendations on the brakes? I have seen people say the Brembo breaks are okay if you upgrade the pads and get braided hose?

Depends on how much you want to spend but that would be a good starting point. Best thing is to keep within your own limits and enjoy yourself. Trying to beat friends can be dodgy. (Sorry just realised how boring that sounds :blush: )

Edited by NeilMH

Brembos are good brakes!

Decent Pads and good disks - aftermarket if you can afford them - decent fluid is a must for heavy use and a better investment than braided lines - again if you can afford it get both :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just to add to this and no disrespect to your driving skill, but weight saving will have virtually no benefit to you unless you are already an incredible track driver. Professional tuition would improve your speed far more than any amount of weight saving.

• Like 2

Just to add to this and no disrespect to your driving skill, but weight saving will have virtually no benefit to you unless you are already an incredible track driver. Professional tuition would improve your speed far more than any amount of weight saving.

Can I use that to justify not going on a diet as well? :blush:

Good advice though :thumbs:

My first time on a track was at the ring...... but a steady 13 minutes was a nice leisurely get used to things. Managed to get it down to 10m 20s but still after 4 laps it's a minefield of learning.

Whiltongee, don't worry about beating your mates, that's how accidents happen. Don't forget it's a "public" highway / "toll" road in Germany. Any accidents that occur can not only affect you, but other drivers. You'll not be insured and with serious accidents the police are called to assist. I'd throw the towel in now at "I'm want to be faster than my mates". Go out there, enjoy the track, avoid the idiots trying to race their mates and get back safely to all talk about how amazing the Ring is. Don't forget it's a tourist track, so you will more than likely be held up by other traffic. Seriously go for the crack and enjoy, learn from it, improve the car thereafter.

My huge recommendation for the ring is higher grade brake fluid and pads. I cooked my oem fluid half way round the track. Also don't use Falken tyres on the ring, the side walls heat up, become supple and so your traction will suffer. That's my other tip for the day.

Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

Isn't that why you have 500hp... to readdress the power to weight ratio! :lol::surrender:

• Like 2

I have done track days before, just not in the Zed :p Ha going round on a swift does sound pretty fun!

And you don't even have to stick to the Swifts, depends how deep your pockets are. :thumbs:

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/rentals-for-the-nordschleife.html

Isn't that why you have 500hp... to readdress the power to weight ratio! :lol::surrender:

Hey now that was uncalled for!!!

true but uncalled for

• Like 1

+10000

BTW when are you going? I'm there from the 26th till the weekend. Could give you a few banzai laps to give you some pointers and an honest assessment of you and your cars abilities and you can start to implement changes from there onwards.😎

I will have a look at the aftermarket stuff! Don't worry I am definitely not one of those mad drivers who is going out to kill himself! We are all going in slowly and gaining knowledge of the track before go any harder :) As I am low on funds atm its more about curiosity than buying all the stuff :p Hopefully by the time we go I will have enough money to upgrade the brakes and tires!