Any Electricians on here?

JetSet

A new cooker is arriving today and I need to wire it in. Can I simply use the cooker switch to isolate the circuit or do I really need to pull the fuse? Problem is there are 2 red 30 amp fuses, one for the circuit and one for the cooker and I've no idea which one to pull. One is on the far left, the other is in the middle, so from left to right I have red, red, white. Switching the entire mains off is a nightmare as I have 3 to 4 hours work resetting my computers and other various electrical devices.

Thanks,

Pete

It may be a pain but pulling all the fuses is the safest bet.

If you have something to test whether a circuit is live (not your tongue :lol: ) then you could pick one and pull that, then test the cooker circuit to ensure its dead.

If not then killing the lot is the only way to be sure, best not taking any risks.

Out of curiosity what do you have that would take 3 to 4 hours to reset?!

Other than clocks everything should reset itself.

Did you not know, Pete hosts the forum from his garage. Do you want the forum down for 4 hours? :scare: :scare: :surrender::lol:

Sorry I can't help isolate with your q Pete but I'd be safe than sorry.

Edited by Fodder

Out of curiosity what do you have that would take 3 to 4 hours to reset?!

Other than clocks everything should reset itself.

It would take me that long to explain :lol: but basically it's down to IP's and getting all my hubs and switches back in synch. Some software has to be reset too as I run a utility that measures upload/download and is IP specific, it's a nightmare that I've already gone through once this week as we had a planned 8 hour power outage on Tuesday.

Pete

Isolate - each time every time

I was a sparks apprenctice before joining the Army and unfortunately witnessed a mate do a pole dance on a live steel conduit once. He was OK buit quit the industry as a result really spooked him. Use a circuit tester to see if its live but if were me dont risk it - I seem to recall having seen somnething along the lines of you also need to get this signed off by NICIEC approved Electrican as well ? otherwise insurance can be invalid -Not sure about that was overseas for ages. So if was me would get them to wire in and sign off same time as likely to be less than an hours job

• Like 1

A new cooker is arriving today and I need to wire it in. Can I simply use the cooker switch to isolate the circuit or do I really need to pull the fuse? Problem is there are 2 red 30 amp fuses, one for the circuit and one for the cooker and I've no idea which one to pull. One is on the far left, the other is in the middle, so from left to right I have red, red, white. Switching the entire mains off is a nightmare as I have 3 to 4 hours work resetting my computers and other various electrical devices.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

As an electrician I'd advise turning it off from the breaker for absolute safety. Its for situations like this labeling the consumer unit comes in handy :) Once you've found out which one it is, I'd suggest sticking labels on the breakers too for future reference.

If you really don't want to reset the entire thing then you can isolate the cooker from the cooker switch - but I wouldn't advise it :surrender:

• Like 2

Isolate - each time every time

I was a sparks apprenctice before joining the Army and unfortunately witnessed a mate do a pole dance on a live steel conduit once. He was OK buit quit the industry as a result really spooked him. Use a circuit tester to see if its live but if were me dont risk it - I seem to recall having seen somnething along the lines of you also need to get this signed off by NICIEC approved Electrican as well ? otherwise insurance can be invalid -Not sure about that was overseas for ages. So if was me would get them to wire in and sign off same time as likely to be less than an hours job

Yep you would need a Minor Works certificate done :thumbs:

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

As an electrician I'd advise turning it off from the breaker for absolute safety. Its for situations like this labeling the consumer unit comes in handy :) Once you've found out which one it is, I'd suggest sticking labels on the breakers too for future reference.

If you really don't want to reset the entire thing then you can isolate the cooker from the cooker switch - but I wouldn't advise it :surrender:

Cheers,

I'll double check to see if it's already labelled or marked (it's in a very dark place) and if not I'll take a guess. If I get it wrong then I'll just use the master switch on the fuse box.This'll be the 4th cooker we've had and I changed all the others myself with no problems.

Pete

Its obviously safer to pull the fuse or switch the breaker off at the consumer unit, but if you cant for whatever reason, switching off at the cooker unit should be ok.

Its a double pole switch so cuts the neutral as well.

I'd tape the switch over so it cant be accidentally switched on. ALSO CHECK WITH A MULTIMETER THAT THE CABLE ENDS ARE DEAD BEFORE DISCONNECTING.

Edit: Check the Kw rating on your new cooker as well, as some of the new ones are 45A in which case you'd have to replace your wiring, cooker unit switch and fuse/breaker.

Edited by 350zedd