Do Cosmetic Mods Affect Insurance?

Mikeyazure

spacers and exhaust will... cosmetic - depends on the company. Deffo declare them. Im with Sky Insurance and they don't charge for cosmetic changes but they still took a note of them at my request

depends on your insurance company! I have declared all my mods internal, external and HFCs and not gone up! infact this year got insurance cheaper with admiral for £366 FC.

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance companies are confusing. I'm with swift cover.

I asked about a aftermarket exhaust today. The response was "you can fit a aftermarket exhaust as long as it's road legal and doesn't increase the power of the car. We won't insure a car with a exhaust that increases the power of the car".

Not sure what to do now.

I'm pretty sure a cat back system on its own wouldn't increase the power of the car. Surely even with the exhaust the engine won't be producing more power than it did new 9 years ago?

Insurance companies are confusing. I'm with swift cover.

I asked about a aftermarket exhaust today. The response was "you can fit a aftermarket exhaust as long as it's road legal and doesn't increase the power of the car. We won't insure a car with a exhaust that increases the power of the car".

Not sure what to do now.

I'm pretty sure a cat back system on its own wouldn't increase the power of the car. Surely even with the exhaust the engine won't be producing more power than it did new 9 years ago?

The ecu will cancel out any gains unless you remap anyway

• Like 1

How do they prove a power increase? Unless you're very silly, like taking your car to a dyno then posting it on the interweb, they'd need to prove it was adding power. Again, as long as you don't buy it from a place that advertises it as 'makes a billionty horsepower!', it's pretty much unprovable.

Go for it.

• Like 1

I'm going to double check tomo and get them to email me confirmation. I don't trust insurance companies and these were significantly cheaper than the brokers/companies mentioned on this forum. They're part of the axa group.