My Little weekend project.....

djtimo

Great read again and loved the videos/pictures. B)

Regarding the Takata harnesses I'm glad you found out they where fake before you needed them as that could have cost you your life. :scare:

Tbh I don't understand why people seem to love Takata so much, I mean they look ok but imo the new Schroth harnesses you've bought look so much better. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Little update!

Zed has been off the road and not started for 19 MONTHS!!!!!

I have looked at ways to make sure when he does start up its the best it can be...

I've drained off most of the fuel, checked oil, lubed the cams with fresh oil, and went for a start!

3 sec crank nothing... let it shut off for a second 2nd attempt fired straight up!!!! oil pressure took about 3-4 seconds before it went full scale on a cold start and idles perfect!

MADE UP!!!!!

Made a start on cleaning up suspension arms

Lower control arms I have bought were a bit of a state!

20140414_170530_zpsa8be80ca.jpg

One done

Cleaned up with a drill wire mop and wire brush.. Bushings already pushed out too

20140415_122240_zps2e70d226.jpg

More done

20140419_140437_zpsbbe0fcaf.jpg

Thanks guys more to come soon

Edited by djtimo

So the start of the suspension upgrade on the zed is underway

Lets just start off with I HATE BALL JOINTS!!! LOL...

The cars jacked up and I have begun the tare down of the front end, almost all the suspension arms use ball joints and cotter pins which have been a ball ache to remove.

The cotter pins were so rusty all but one needed drilling out and the ball joints have been a pain to split. The ones on the upper A arms needed a nut splitters and drill to remove and the lower ones on the compression arms i still need to tackle!

On the positive side the chassis brace bolts I thought would have been the problems Cam off easy with my new impact gun

Few little progress pics

2a4z6hi.jpg

2i9jjo.jpg

9lltkz.jpg

2vamg6a.jpg

atn0cg.jpg

Thats it for now . that was yesterdays work LOL.. Need to go and buy a new set of goose neck ring spanners to get the lower arms off.

Little more done today

Managed the get enough G clamps on the compression rod ball joint to allow me to split them. These are having the bushes pressed in now

34dotbk.jpg

Got the lower arms off too

1gnfrk.jpg

Damaged bushing on the right arm

14wc4et.jpg

New arms getting exited ready to go on

160vurt.jpg

Also my chassis brace is now at the powder coaters getting zinc coated and then gloss gunmetal great coat

Little more progress on the zed today before I had to go to work on nights

Picked up the banana arms with the new bushes pressed in

Made a start cleaning the arms and making them look decent again!

311mjnr.jpg

vqnmus.jpg

28rdxls.jpg

Also made a start on cleaning the hub carrier which is a pain in the a** to clean because of the complex shape

21ethud.jpg

Picked up a few cans of etch primer, metallic gunmetal paint and clear coat ready to pain the arms soon too

Think Ill pick some up Greg as I need to clean the hell out the shocks and callipers

Little more work today.

Finished cleaning the hub uprights, not a good finish as the arms as its a pain in the a** shape but there clean at least!

Also cleaned and prepped the other arms for paint.

2dhw3s8.jpg

Bushes and ball joints masked off... Last thing is a wipe down with meths or panel wipe before the etch primer goes on

23t5kzt.jpg

Getting close to the rebuild now which will be nice to have the car back down on its wheels.

Started the painting of the arms between rain showers today!

Not exactly a pro spray booth but seems to work ok

All arms coated with etch primer.

jpu3jr.jpg

Gunmetal topcoat going on.

2jy7b6.jpg

25p303c.jpg

Started to rain so I've got the arms in the garage to cure now for 24 hours. Clear coat on tomorrow if its now raining

29w39d5.jpg

And a quick pic of the new GT WANG (AKA...BGW) thats soon to be fitted

119yvsn.jpg

Cheers

THIS WAS TODAYS WORK GUYS! 26/05/2014

I know mate! The thing for me is Im looking to keep the zed indefinitely so Im not rushed with jobs as in my eyes each year that passes makes the zed more rare as most end up dead

Also I enjoy building and working on it so I am enjoying it even if its not the driving part!

Little more work today.

I've clear coated the arms but no pics as they look the same but now shiny LOL..

Made a start on the wheel arches

Arch liners removed.

14nh7h0.jpg

ve62g.jpg

Shocks out

4jm8oz.jpg

204dgo.jpg

Im amazed at how good condition the KW's are in! Quick wipe down with WD40 and the look new (Apart from some minor rush on the springs) I have seen the state of cheap coil overs after just a year and there have welded them selves solid and we could not move the spring perch!

2qa5jfa.jpg

More tomorrow

More work on the suspension saga!

Under arch after a few coats of hamerite "straight to rust" Im hoping this will add a little more protection to the steel.

2w4ffpd.jpg

2r53z1j.jpg

Finally mad a start on the hub carriers.... Pin the a** to clean so I did a best I could with out splitting them and shot blasting.

345ivz9.jpg

4iiqna.jpg

Cleaned both sides of the arches.

wiolsy.jpg

WooHoo! Finally started on the rebuild!

30a9tug.jpg

25p5ncp.jpg

Picked up the chassis brace from the powder coaters. This should last better now its coated.

28sshnq.jpg

• Like 1

More work tonight after my 12 hour day shift :(

Left shock and lower arm in :)

21enmzl.jpg

This allowed me to refit my strut brace.

4t3hie.jpg

Driver side wheel arch liner back in. Starting to look better :)

2ey9n5h.jpg

Clear coated my hub carriers.

2rzpdmu.jpg

vxyt0k.jpg

More soon!

More work on the zed tonight after 12 hour graft in work LOL...

Hubs back in both sides!

2ep4it0.jpg

2qb8z0k.jpg

20fal4w.jpg

Compression arms back in both sides.

2l9kyhg.jpg

That meant i could refit the chassis brace!

2q084ma.jpg

Main problem I have now is the nuts I picked up from a fastener shop have a different thread to the upper A arms! I took a nut for them to match the thread to so Im a little p****d.

The other main thing is ALL THE BOLTS ARE LOSE! LOL... I need to torque them all up and I think torquing the ball joints may be a pain.

Main problem I have now is the nuts I picked up from a fastener shop have a different thread to the upper A arms! I took a nut for them to match the thread to so Im a little p****d.

The other main thing is ALL THE BOLTS ARE LOSE! LOL... I need to torque them all up and I think torquing the ball joints may be a pain.

They probably got the wrong pitch. :rolleyes: Understand your frustration though ~ what a pita. :(

Hope that torque sheet picture link I gave you was what you where after. Good luck with that. :thumbs:

Little more work on the zed today before nights.

Made a start on prep to fit the GT wing by removing the old lip spoiler.

Before....

opo4te.jpg

2pu09za.jpg

During... I used a towel to help and fishing line to cut the 3M tape.

50rurk.jpg

Residue left behind! Really hard to remove!

25jzjup.jpg

After... Still needs a run over with meg's ultimate compound and the last body plug removing but nearly there!

2wmq2za.jpg

Machine polished the boot lid this afternoon. Still not perfect as you can see the line where the lip has come off. This may be due to sun bleaching the paint around it?

34ebvih.jpg

Built up my GT wing.

bfflw8.jpg

Little bigger than the OEM lip but still a little small for my liking hahaha...

2mm5rac.jpg

Nice thick wing end plates..

erycsl.jpg

impi5w.jpg

• Like 1