My Little weekend project.....

djtimo

Haha cheers guys. 😎

I can say after having the car out on the road yesterday for an hour you an feel the drop in weight.

On the plus side removing the door cards has created a ton more space in the cabin around yhe driver.

Im still unsure of how im going to sort the door release etc but ill come up with something.

Bennet i take it your not on WhatsApp? Ill send you pics of mounts etc etc.

Im not cutting the side impact bars out the oem doors for safety reasons. I need a full cage then ill go cf doors. Saves another 20-21kg off set the weight of the cage and door bars and looks cool as **** 😎

CF doors that's super cool Tim. You don't do things in halvesðŸ‘

Yeah I meant cutting the bar after the full cage.

I gutted the door like you did but didn't have some metal strips to secure the window like you did but it's given me an idea. The double skin can be cut right back just preserving the area for the door lock and a bracket to attach the door latch. Then a flat piece of abs plastic or thin aluminum or CF to cover the whole door and with a small cut out to reach the latch.

I bet with lexan glass and that bar cut it will be as light or lighter than a wet CF door.

Thanks for the what's app👀

• Like 1

Just thought id ask on here if anyone has done an idler pully delete on a de motor?? Saves me a further 1.5kg from the very front of the car so looking to do that soon. Plus it will mean i can fit new belts at the same time.

Someone asked about it recently and I responded to that. It's worth it from a weight saving point of view it he was hoping for power which will not provide any. It will improve revs/engine response just like LW pulleys or clutch/flywheel.

You just need to unbolt the smooth idler pulley above the the crank pulley and get a shorter belt and job done.

Search my350z.com for the exact belt length you need. There are a couple but I didn't bookmark it as while I had this off when sc'd I intend to use it for my new custom setup to get all the belt wrap I can to prevent slip.

You cowboy!! Hope you got the AC de gassed first👀!

Don't forget the AC rad and all the components behind the dash on passenger side.

I took mine off 2 years ago properly even before I stripped fully as an experiment when I was doing headers and I put it back. The hit was unbearable on the track in summer but it should be ok with heli-vents plumbing air from the rear quarter glass or even a roof scoop.

The car revved a bit freer and felt a tad eager.

Just thought id ask on here if anyone has done an idler pully delete on a de motor?? Saves me a further 1.5kg from the very front of the car so looking to do that soon. Plus it will mean i can fit new belts at the same time.

Think i'm doing mine as im adding lightened pullies i think that removes it, obviously won't know the outcome until the engines back together lol

Picked up 8L of fresh high quality liquid gold today!

20160306_153139_zpsklz2hn3a.jpg

Also a bottle of water wetter to see what this does (if anything)

20160306_153154_zpsrngujox2.jpg

I have a new HKS purple oil filter read to go on tomorrow when I do my oil change and some fresh SuperBlue brake fluid for a full build change ready for Donnington Park next week.

I was running a 10W-60 oil last time so Ill log what my oil pressure does with this thinner oil weight.

Todays jobs :)

Back to my local diy garage to get the zed on the lift!

20160307_123058_zpskeka7ndx.jpg

20160307_123046_zpshjq4fdh6.jpg

Water wetter topped up into the swirl pot from the turbos and the rad expansion pot..

20160307_122440_zpsy278asnz.jpg

Oil was changed out for 5.5L of fresh Castrol 5W-40 FST titanium and new HKS purple oil filter. (No pics)

Next issue was a joke :( I forgot my wheel nut key so my dad kindly offered to got to my house and look for it.. 2 hrs later still nothing ... I went home and turned the house upside down and still nothing :( This was a pain as I was trying to bleed the brakes next!

Back to the garage to try and bleed the brakes with the wheels on.

Set up my vac bleeder and tried the first bleed nipple on the rear caliper... solid! Would not move at all... Tried the other rear caliper... Nothing.. :( It just felt like a may snap the bleed nipples off so Ive left it for now :(

Ordered a new wheel key from rare rims thanks to fake ben taylor for the contact!

So to make myself feel better I sent a little time cleaning the messy underside on the zed....

Cleaned up the fuel tank heat shield well!

20160307_160243_zps2arabxok.jpg

20160307_160209_zpsskcfejzq.jpg

Cleaned up all the wax/oil crap of the plastics which took ages but there far better now!

20160307_160312_zpsbsx0lojk.jpg

Just need to replace/powdercoat the W brace now before my major rear end clean up project starts.

20160307_160045_zpsedghlro1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FANTASTIC DAY YESTERDAY!

Had some epic fun out in the zed playing with the big boys at donnington park on the full GP circuit.

The day was run by RMA and had some un-usual trackway rules such as overtake on both sides with no consent and no sighting laps etc .. Most cars there were exotics and race cars.

The zed did very well apart from brake issues that i was expecting from running a less than ideal pad compound and old mogul brake fluid :(

Car has been set up great from corner weighting and feels very well balanced and inspired confidence! Power wise I was keeping up with most things out there down the straights but I was being left of dead in the braking zones :(

The issues I need to address are the rear passenger arch is catching the tire a small amount under full loading and the front brake pads have crumbled :( Ended up driving home over 80 miles with out using the brakes lol.. I think the pad has come away from the backing plate on the passenger side as it sounds legal on metal!

Few pics I took on my phone.. I have a few on track pics coming soon though :)

Packed up the night before heading down to donny where we stayed over the night before.

20160314_182024_zpsv9tqusgw.jpg

Fuelling up!

20160314_185340_zpsjxl4know.jpg

Mates cars parked up. Just one missing chris in the new R8 V10 Plus which was epic!

20160314_204233_zpsvvzzbfjd.jpg

Zed chillin'

edited_20160315_124927_zps2mkeez7g.jpg

Sharing the track with these guys :)

20160315_123918_zpsffi61qh3.jpg

20160315_123943_zpsq16mjadb.jpg

I suffered with some rather bad understeer (possibly driver error lol) but i did have some success playing with tire pressures on the day. I ended up at 31psi HOT and found this did help a little but my main plan is to switch to a 265/275 front tire, 10mm front spacers to widen front track and build a new larger splitter with side fences.

I had a tire pyrometer with me and took a few data sets, first one was after a small session but was taken 5 mins after i came off track and 2nd set was done in the pit lane by a mate so a better set IMHO. Data is for seeing if i can add more front and rear camber.

1st set

20160316_185055_zpsndnxgu9p.jpg

2nd set

c287ee75-5245-41a2-8213-a39c06b7bde2_zpsbprguoeb.jpg

Brake looking rather cooked!

20160316_093242_zpspnscyvx3.jpg

• Like 3