Sir Chris Hoy in Nissan GTR.

WhackyWill

Six-time Olympic cycling champion Sir Chris Hoy will race in the 2014 Avon Tyres British GT Championship, which commences on Easter Weekend (19/21 April) at Oulton Park, in a factory-backed Nissan GTR.

Britain's most successful Olympian will drive for the Nissan GT Academy Team RJN banner, following in the footsteps of winners of the Nissan Playstation GT Academy on the fast track to motorsport stardom. He will also undergo Nissan's full advanced Driver Development programme, receiving the same treatment as successful graduates from the GT Academy.

Unlike his predecessors, Hoy does have some previous racing experience; indeed he was a front runner in last season's MSVR-run Radical SR1 Cup for rookies. Hoy will be accompanied at most rounds of the championship by NISMO Athlete Alex Buncombe, who has overseen all previous Academy graduates in their transition to the racetrack. Various academy members substitute when he is unavailable.

Away from the track Hoy will enjoy a new role as a Brand Ambassador for Nissan, aiding aspiring athletes as they aim to reach the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

Hoy's competitive spirit hasn't waned since his retirement, a fact made clear by his ambition to race at Le Mans in 2016. Speaking about his new career he commented, "I was keen to take my enthusiasm for motorsport to the next level. This won't be easy - but I could not turn down the chance to give it a go. My ultimate ambition is to race at Le Mans. That is the dream, but I'm taking this one step at a time.

10155031_670579319644873_1307989015_n.jpg

Edited by WhackyWill