Knocking help needed.

Andyhut

Hi all, I'm after some help with a loud knocking / clonk noise coming from the passenger side rear when I go over pot holes / rough road. I have just had my rear drop links replaced as they were worn but the clonk still remains, it only seems to be on passenger rear. Has anyone got any ideas what else it could be, I was told the bushes look ok? Thanks

Compression arms perhaps?

If you're already getting knocking from it though then you'd be past the stage just just replacing the bushings and would need to replace the whole arm as it would mean the ball joint in it is gone

Edited by ostego

Yeah pretty sure, I guy who changed the drop links said they were fairly badly worn so I was hoping that was the problem. He checed the bushes and the wheel for play and said it was ok.

Sounds exactly the same as mine mate. I posted up a thread and was told the drop links aswell, not had them done yet. Will be taking it down to the garage in a couple of weeks so if yours isn't sorted by then and I can figure out what it is will let you know, likewise if you get to the bottom of it first give me a shout!

Does it knock but also sound like a creak/metal straining noise at times?

Edited by Jamesyy

I do get the odd creak from the back but dunno if that's just plastics or whether it's related to the suspension. I would describe my noise more like a clonk like heavy metal hitting together sometimes just a single clonk other times two or three clonks i guess that depends what i drive over, when I go over any pot holes or rough road it feels like the wheel wobbles or something is very loose but when i had the drop links done yesterday the mechanic said it was all ok.

Just to let you guys know I've sorted my knocking / clonking out thanks to the zed shed guys turned out it was the passenger side shock was completely shot and basically had no rebound so it wasn't soaking up any bumps plus it also seems to have sorted out the odd creak from the back too, the drop links were fairly badly worn so changing them wasn't a waste but changing both rear shocks has sorted the problem completely.

No problem hope it helps people, I was surprised that one shock could cause so much knocking and clonking and without taking the shock off all I noticed was a very small oil leak. Hope others get their knocking sorted to.

Pleased to see you got it sorted bud. I think mine could well be the same, in the garage getting it checked over now but that would make sense for the noises I'm getting. Thanks for keeping this updated mate!

Let us know how you get on too Jamesyy, if yours is also shocks then i will defo get mine seen to asap lol

Pleased to see you got it sorted bud. I think mine could well be the same, in the garage getting it checked over now but that would make sense for the noises I'm getting. Thanks for keeping this updated mate!

Let us know how you get on too Jamesyy, if yours is also shocks then i will defo get mine seen to asap lol

Will do mate. Sent it into Nissan to get them to do a free health check to narrow down the noise, they have come back with the rear drop links and anti roll bar bushes. Everything else appears fine to them. I have no intentions of them doing the work, my mechanic is a family friend who knows his stuff more than anyone I know, so will be going to him. Problem is he's in Newcastle and I'm in Edinburgh so wont be giving him it until 10th May - once he gets is and checks it over I'll let you know exactly whats what. Imagine you will have yours sorted before then, but will keep you in the loop bud.

Will do mate. Sent it into Nissan to get them to do a free health check to narrow down the noise, they have come back with the rear drop links and anti roll bar bushes. Everything else appears fine to them. I have no intentions of them doing the work, my mechanic is a family friend who knows his stuff more than anyone I know, so will be going to him. Problem is he's in Newcastle and I'm in Edinburgh so wont be giving him it until 10th May - once he gets is and checks it over I'll let you know exactly whats what. Imagine you will have yours sorted before then, but will keep you in the loop bud.

Ok mate, that's the same thing that the last 2 mechanics have said about mine once they looked under it, but they were both wrong :( but yeah, good luck and keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok mate, that's the same thing that the last 2 mechanics have said about mine once they looked under it, but they were both wrong :( but yeah, good luck and keep us posted!

Alright mate, ended up getting my parts done this weekend just gone. It was the drop links and anti roll bar bushes, so unfortunately for you I'm not much help - no noises atall now! Have you got yours sorted yet?

Hate to say this but I've also heard the occasional noise recently but from the front drivers side. Was wondering if it was the drop-links or brushes. Not sure about the noise though as it isn't happening often enough yet, I've had the coil/suspension go on my Pug before and that was a real loud knocking noise and it doesn't sound as bad as that.

Alright mate, ended up getting my parts done this weekend just gone. It was the drop links and anti roll bar bushes, so unfortunately for you I'm not much help - no noises atall now! Have you got yours sorted yet?

Fair play mate, bet you're happy now! Lol na mines still not done, going to a matey on Thursday to have my exhaust straightened, gunna get him to look it over aswell. I have a feeling it's the shocks for sure tho!

Sent from Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same noise from the rear passenger side, exhaust is getting replaced this week so going to get them to check out the shocks, drop links, bushes etc. so will update as to what mine is, although sounds pretty much identical.

• Like 1