Wheel spacer fitting

drginger

Good evening,

I am going to be fitting some wheel spacers soon and have a couple of questions.

Do I use copper grease on all the studs and in between the hub and spacer?

I am going to tighten up the spacer and the wheel to 85 lb/ft of torque, is this correct?

Apart from that I'm good to go!

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Good evening,

I am going to be fitting some wheel spacers soon and have a couple of questions.

Do I use copper grease on all the studs and in between the hub and spacer?

Very easy to fit, wheel off, clean disc face and hub, little copper grease, fit spacer using nuts supplied, again apply some copper grease on the spacer face and hub, clean back of the wheel recess and fit the wheel using original wheel nuts..

I am going to tighten up the spacer and the wheel to 85 lb/ft of torque, is this correct?

Yes

Apart from that I'm good to go!

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

I was also recommended to get a wheel alignment done afterwards if I fitted spacers. ;)

Edited by GMballistic

I would say not to put copper grease on the studs, but definitely on the surfaces which will be in contact with the hub and wheel.

The reason not to put grease on the studs is that you can over torque the nuts as they are effectively lubricated and therefore easier to over tighten.

• Like 2

I would say not to put copper grease on the studs, but definitely on the surfaces which will be in contact with the hub and wheel.

The reason not to put grease on the studs is that you can over torque the nuts as they are effectively lubricated and therefore easier to over tighten.

+1

Surely if using a torque wrench 120n/m is the same whether copper grease is applied or not?

I believe that the torque figures listed are for dry (Un lubricated) nuts. Because a lubricated nut is easier to tighten and therefore requires less torque, so if you apply 120n/m you are over tightening and potentially damaging the nut / stud.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I've read this somewhere? :shrug:

I believe that the torque figures listed are for dry (Un lubricated) nuts. Because a lubricated nut is easier to tighten and therefore requires less torque, so if you apply 120n/m you are over tightening and potentially damaging the nut / stud.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I've read this somewhere? :shrug:

Yes, you'll damage them if you over torque them, the limited space to get your socket in and the fact that the nuts are quite small makes them tricky to remove. I had write off 3 nuts and one of them had to be removed by a garage. I now put mine on at 100 and have removed them a couple of times without damage.

Pete

Actually only the friction between the wheel(, spacer) and the hub is what holds your wheel in place under hard acceleration and hard braking, where is the weakest point of the whole assembly due to direction of the forces. Bolt torque only provides sufficient friction in this case. That's why I wouldn't (and don't) put any grease on that surface, I rather unbolt the spacer once in a while to prevent "welding". Hadn't had a problem in 7 years.

• Like 1