Diff oil changed .. Metal shavings normal?

sam350z2013

Hi all,

changed my diff oil at a garage today and was told that there was a lot of metal shavings around the sump plug - mechanic said differential may need changing.

Is this true that the metal shavings indicates the diff is wearing out and needs a new one due to the shavings?

Any input from previous experience of others would be very appreciated :)

Metal shavings in the oil from anything mechanical is not good news. :thumbdown:

Any noise from the diff whilst driving? did the mechanic investigate further or just change the oil then?

I'd try a PM maybe to Zmanalex or one of the other garage traders on here to see what they think but I suspect without seeing the diff internally it will be hard to tell exactly what's going on.

It's actually normal. I've done diff fluid changes in jeeps, subis, nissans etc. all from 200 miles to over 100k miles, all have shavings every single change. That's why almost all cars have a magnetic drain plugs. They don't want the shavings always getting back in between the gears. The tranny also gets lots of shavings. Trannys also have magnetic drain plugs. If you install a magnetic drain plug in your oil pan, you will see shavings in there also after every oil change.

PS, there is a big difference from shavings to chunks.

Thanks for the replies :) ..it's put my mind at rest for now as I'm not the only one with shaving coming out 😄

I've seen differentials listed on eBay (as I don't wna pay £8k for aftermarket), anyone know do all diff's fit any zeds as mines a import ?

My suspiciousness says tread carefully!

Not all mechanics are competent. Does he see many Z's and has changed the diff oil regularly. Is he an older guy or did they have an apprentice do that job. Did you see the debris yourself. If it was me I'd want to investigate more if possible before committing to big bucks.

On my 370 I did redline fluid at 1000 miles and have drained and refilled at least 5 times in the last 1000 miles as I've made and installed a diff oil temp gauge and custom diff cooler. Every time the bottom of the jug has lots of shavings. I currently have 8k on the car. The shavings I'm talking about and are normal are like 10 times smaller than a grain of sand. But you will have a million of them.

• Like 1

It's actually normal. I've done diff fluid changes in jeeps, subis, nissans etc. all from 200 miles to over 100k miles, all have shavings every single change. That's why almost all cars have a magnetic drain plugs. They don't want the shavings always getting back in between the gears. The tranny also gets lots of shavings. Trannys also have magnetic drain plugs. If you install a magnetic drain plug in your oil pan, you will see shavings in there also after every oil change.

Got to be honest this was my initial thought. Surely anything with mechanical metal contact is going to create some 'sediment' to form. I guess it's how you interpret the word shavings but I reckon he just means the usual stuff.

I wouldn't sweat it until you actually feel or hear a problem to be honest.

Got to be honest this was my initial thought. Surely anything with mechanical metal contact is going to create some 'sediment' to form. I guess it's how you interpret the word shavings but I reckon he just means the usual stuff.

I wouldn't sweat it until you actually feel or hear a problem to be honest.

Exactly!

Here's mine at like 1k or something. That black is like microscopic powder. Big chuck of it on the lower right of the magnetic plug shows a normal amount. If you start to see bright silver...you have issues.

image_zps4cc005b2.jpg

• Like 1