The ilogikal1 test thread

ilogikal1

I misremembered big numbers. It's only 110 miles, which makes all the difference obviously. :lol:

Unfortunately, living in the back of beyond in Wales, you only have to drive 5 miles for it to resemble your 140 mile trek.

What with all the cow $hit on the road and added salt, every journey beyond the gate, results in a very dirty zed.

I'm glad I don't have to travel every day in her, as it would be really frustrating keeping her clean.

Ahhh well, spring will soon be here with salt free roads, but still trying to dodge the cow $hit :)

That's after just the second time it's left the drive since it was clean, and most of it was from this one journey. :dry:

No cow **** though... plenty of road salt, mud, horse **** & general grubbiness of the yokels, but no cow ****. :lol:

All clean again :teeth: so time for a 3-days-out-of-the-garage-110 mile-jaunt-one-wash-later update.

First up MadCow Ultra Violet on the front wings. Now you know how they say first impressions are everything? "They" lie! First impressions of this were good. Very good in fact. Second impressions... not so much.

S0015827_zps29273921.jpg

S0045834_zps1460e7d5.jpg

It appears to have vanished with the traffic film after just the one wash. This currently places UV firmly in the QD category for me - it leaves a great finish when it's first applied, but it simply doesn't last.

To put it in contrast, here it is compared to Dodo Juice Supernatural Acrylic Spritz on the door.

S0035833_zpsa51c4669.jpg

Also compared to Gyeon Cure on the other door.

S0075843_zps529ea566.jpg

Yes I noticed that patch on Cure too. The rest of it seems good though.

S0095848_zpsce8a4f7b.jpg

As was Acrylic Spritz on the other side.

Car Chem Hycro Coat & PTFE Glaze doing well too.

S0115853_zps8f8f377f.jpg

The waxes on the bonnet don't have much left in them though.

S0135858F_zps10ba6291.jpg

All are suffering in terms of beading but seem to be holding in there. Sheeting is a different matter though, however due to the battery in the camera deciding it had, had enough there are no pictures of that. Dead battery swapped out for a fresh one and we have;

Edition 18 - sheeting has slowed and is inconsistent over the section but is still present in part.

S0145861_zps56fba9bd.jpg

Vitreo - sheeting is moderate and relatively consistent with just the front edge suffering at the moment.

S0165866_zps87909660.jpg

Graphite/unlabelled stuff - very similar to Vitreo but more consistent over the full section still.

S0185871_zps2ab1ad4b.jpg

Edition 19 - sheeting has basically given up across the whole section now.

S0205876_zps66e154ed.jpg

Edition 20 (lighter one? I can't remember any more!) - sheeting is on par with 18 with similar inconsistency across the section.

S0225880_zpsae9b5114.jpg

Edition 20 (whatever the last one was, this is the other one :teeth: ) - sheeting is fairly consistently poor over the section now, marginally better than 19 but not convincing.

S0245884_zps88d56e33.jpg

So 8 weeks in for these waxes, 19 & lower 20 are pretty much dead, upper 20 and 18 are fairly compromised, Graphite/unlabelled pot & Vitreo are starting to fade.

Edition 21 on the bumper is looking like a wax that's 7 weeks younger. :lol:

S0265889_zps8458a5c4.jpg

At the other end of the car. DJ Acrylic Spritz, Gyeon Cure and Nanolex Reactivating Shampoo look like this on the boot;

S0305899_zps81ad5650.jpg

The visible difference between the three products is less noticeable today, although that could be because the water from the roof & rear window above the Nanolex strip insisted on running off right down the Nanolex strip every time, so that could be hiding the difference a little bit. All three are sheeting very well still though (barring that one small patch on the front of the Cure side).

Cure looks like this;

S0315901_zps5dfc1669.jpg

DJ Acrylic Spritz looks like this;

S0325903_zps524f95ca.jpg

Nanolex Nanowax on the rear bumper is holding up well, sheeting is still very good and beading looks like this (compared to Cure on the quarter panel);

S0345909_zpsdcebb996.jpg

S0365915_zpsee54cc88.jpg

The beading of Cure, CC PTFE Glaze, Hydro Coat & G1 on the glass for comparison;

S0375918_zpscbaea9a2.jpg

Beading comparison of DJ Acrylic Spritz to Hydro Coat, PTFE Glaze and G1;

S0405927_zps8d5a388d.jpg

Nanolex Trim Rejuvinator on the grille;

S0455941_zpsbf4db47e.jpg

Hubikote HubiTrim side of the grille;

S0475947_zpsce4f9504.jpg

Incidentally, I managed to lose one of the Waxybox foam finger applicators behind the grille when applying the HubiTrim. It sprung out the back of the grille somewhere near the middle, presumably onto the undertray beneath... Despite my best efforts, I've still not found it. :lol:

Even Maxolen Multimax on the badge has outlasted Ultra Violet.

S0495952_zps2436ba56.jpg

Gyeon Tire is holding up well on the tyres as is FK/Dr Beasley's on the exhaust and the Wolf's stuff on the wheels too - all meant that the relevant parts were clean after the snow foam.

In case anyone was wondering, I went for Hydro Coat on the skirts but didn't use the PTFE Glaze under it like I did on the roof (I did use the Cleaner again though).

That's all. I think. :p

Edited by ilogikal1

I found this suitably abandoned on my drive this (foggy) morning.

S0025980_zps997ea3c9.jpg

S0035981_zpsf7355200.jpg

S0045983_zps875a0991.jpg

S0055987_zps1844c498.jpg

S0075992_zps05f8df45.jpg

S0085995_zpsa6d8dcf8.jpg

S0016001_zps4e06574c.jpg

:scare:

S0026002_zps1e4c1781.jpg

:surrender:

S0036005_zpsb7ff8c97.jpg

I can't be having filthy cars sat outside my house, I have a reputation to uphold!

Luckily the fog lifted and took the dirt with it. :D

S0046007_zps036954b8.jpg

S0086017_zps8adfd87b.jpg

S0096020_zps35c15d56.jpg

S0116026_zpsa2dca3c0.jpg

S0156038_zpsadec31c6.jpg

S0176044_zps537fa812.jpg

S0186047_zpsd50003d4.jpg

S0226059_zps750875a9.jpg

S0236062_zps3a44c2ec.jpg

Much better. :yahoo:

The point of today's update? Just to show the state of Gyeon Prime after 5 months, or rather 22 weeks to the day, since application (way back on page 7 in case you were interested). Since it's application, the car's only seen maintenance washes with no product top-ups since the sacrificial layer of Cure upon application - although I did use Bathe+ for one of the washes in December (on page 10) and Nanolex Reactivating Shampoo two weeks ago.

I appreciate the car's still wet but this is the best picture I got of the shiny, glossy, shiny shine of the finish.

S0076014_zps97d1b252.jpg

The beading and sheeting is still bloody impressive too.

Roof.

S0246065_zps899c7535.jpg

Vertical beading on the rear door.

S0316087_zpse6076252.jpg

Bonnet

S0276075_zps076307c9.jpg

S0296083_zps2fcb8b18.jpg

S0306084_zps799ec829.jpg

Surprisingly difficult to get good beading shots on a white car today but they'll do. :lol:

First play with the WetCoat today. I'm usually sceptical of magical products but as you rated this and know your way around a £1 spray head, I flipped out e-wallet. Not really sure what stage in my routine this would normally replace, so I just added a new step pre-towel off and then didn't QD afterwards.

Using "science" I sprayed two of the three sections of the bonnet with WetCoat and left one alone ( I separated it into thirds using the natural vertical lines and carefulish aiming).

Can you tell which third difn't get a WetCoat before this shot was taken?

IMG_5428_zpsef9659e1.jpg

My suspicions continued that this was too magical (and ilogikal1 is secretly a Gyeon robot) as I did the rest of the car without seeing too much excitement. In fairness, with the products I have on there I get a bead straight after a two bucket wash anyway, so I may be doing WetCoat a minor disservice. One day I might clay half a panel and see what really is what.

I took the unusual step of doing some fake beading shots after the towel dry and was genuinely impressed by the results :)

IMG_5441_zpsaba3d48b.jpg

IMG_5429_zps6a66e359.jpg

IMG_5440_zpsc6814385.jpg

I may never quick detail again...

(once the gallons of various QDs I have are used up)

• Like 2

First play with the WetCoat today. I'm usually sceptical of magical products but as you rated this and know your way around a £1 spray head, I flipped out e-wallet. Not really sure what stage in my routine this would normally replace, so I just added a new step pre-towel off and then didn't QD afterwards.

That's pretty much the right stage for it - after the wash stage, whilst the car's still wet, apply & rinse WetCoat, optional dry, walk away. Instant protection top up. :thumbs:

Out of interest, what was your LSP before applying WetCoat? I'm assuming it was fairly fresh still? WetCoat is brilliant on failing LSP's as a top-up (or unprotected paint for that matter), but if your underlying LSP is still good then it's magic might not be as noticeable in comparison. Did you notice any change in the sheeting, particularly the speed of it?

ilogikal1 is secretly a Gyeon robot

Curses, my secret is out. :surrender::p

ETA: I've got a QD stockpile myself after giving up with them months ago. :lol:

Edited by ilogikal1

On a slightly related topic (of QD's, not WetCoat); I've been trying to make my Waxybox supplied stockpile of Sonax BSD more me-friendly as I don't get on with the grabbiness of it. I have taken to mixing it with various other QD's to experiment with, the latest of which being Valet Pro Citrus Bling which was diluted 4:1 with water, then mixed roughly 120ml of diluted Citrus Bling with roughly 45ml of BSD.

The resultant mixture works okay, it's much nicer to use than pure BSD but still has the water behaviour. The massive downside is that citrus and coconut are scents that just don't work together. :yuck:

On a slightly related topic (of QD's, not WetCoat); I've been trying to make my Waxybox supplied stockpile of Sonax BSD more me-friendly as I don't get on with the grabbiness of it. I have taken to mixing it with various other QD's to experiment with, the latest of which being Valet Pro Citrus Bling which was diluted 4:1 with water, then mixed roughly 120ml of diluted Citrus Bling with roughly 45ml of BSD.

The resultant mixture works okay, it's much nicer to use than pure BSD but still has the water behaviour. The massive downside is that citrus and coconut are scents that just don't work together. :yuck:

So, you put the lime (citrus) in the cocounut and mix 'em all up? :lol:

At the risk of being taken to school, perhaps it might make BSD less grabby if you were to try with a different MF weight or pile? Rather than mixing it with other goodies?

With regard to the previous LSP I used (post #282), it was probably BSD applied as a drying aid.

So, you put the lime (citrus) in the cocounut and mix 'em all up? :lol:

... and now I have that song stuck in my head! :lol:

I should have typed "orange" rather than "citrus" there though. Orange coconuts do not smell nice. :yuck:

At the risk of being taken to school, perhaps it might make BSD less grabby if you were to try with a different MF weight or pile? Rather than mixing it with other goodies?

A good suggestion and one that I've already tried. :D

To be quite honest, I probably wouldn't be mixing it if I didn't have so many unused sample sized bottles of stuff (and that's after I've given away many, many bottles to car-cleaning-fwiends too. I'm sure it's reproducing :lol: ). I do like the protection that BSD leaves, I just don't get on with the application. So I figured rather than having 20 bottles of unused QD's lying around, I'd try mixing them and have 10 bottles of unused QD's lying around instead. :teeth:

[Jack Bauer voice] Previously, on the ilogikal1 thread [/Jack Bauer voice]

20150123_121629_zpsewt1bwhg.jpg

Well after today's wash...

S0026104_zpskhktvvnh.jpg

So that's that one answered then.

But just to force the point home, Gyeon Cure side;

S0036106_zps0po9gmka.jpg

Dodo Juice Supernatural Acrylic Spritz side;

S0046109_zpsby5u2p61.jpg

The Cure isn't quite completely dead - it does eventually sheet almost all of the water off the respective panels, albeit slowly - but it's clearly being shown up by Acrylic Spritz. It should be noted though that these are both sold as very different products, Cure is more akin to Red Mist whilst Acrylic Spritz is an outright sealant.

Elsewhere, Car Chem Hydro Coat is showing up both the Acrylic Spritz and Cure alike on it's respective panels, but especially on the lower side panels (Cure & Acrylic Spritz on the doors & quarter panels, Hydro Coat on the skirts) in terms of dirt repellency/self cleaning and post-wash water behaviour. It's still beading well as is the PTFE Glaze but the sheeting of the latter has noticeably slowed.

Post-wash Hydro Coat on the roof currently looks like this;

S0076118_zpsufmjik9y.jpg

S0066115_zpsdk1x1cwg.jpg

S0056112_zpsr0jpvarb.jpg

Meanwhile, on the bonnet, the Waxaddict waxes;

S0086121_zpszsqhjp2a.jpg

And for something a little different;

Wax_sheeting_zpstkl7v9zt.gif

That's one picture every 7(ish) seconds over a minute and a half (ish).

Just to remind you, the waxes are; Top left - Edition 18. Top Middle - Edition 19. Top Right - Edition 20. Bottom Right - the other Edition 20. Bottom middle - Graphite (beta test version)/ unlabelled pot. Bottom left - Vitreo.

That's also Edition 21 on the bumper, for what little of it you can see - it's considerably fresher than the other six so FWIW it's sheeted it's water before the first picture was taken. :lol:

Not quite all dead just yet but close enough for me to call it a day. Draw your own conclusions from the gif.

With Gyeon Cure on the passenger side, the front wings and the bonnet now needing fresh protection I'm a little torn as to what to apply next. I have three Car Chem products that would do nicely for the bonnet, as well as diluted Hydro Coat to use up. But the next Waxybox is due within mere hours (up to 48 of them) and it's a branded box... knowing what the brand is, I'm tempted to wait it out and see what turns up. If some one would like to make that decision for me, that'd be great. :teeth:

• Like 1

Worth a little look. There's nothing revolutionary, but it is a fairly fascinating (I think!) if you like this sort of thing, plus the world's biggest 50/50 shot.

I'll never complain about the size of anything I detail ever again*.

A few things about this jump out at me;

First and foremost; his matte silver lenses are f***ing awesome. I want some!

I don't understand why,

a) They were working out in the sun, surely a hanger would be better... surely?!

2) Why detail it before painting bits? This goes against everything I know about detailing more than reaching for the microfibre cutting pads before anything else.

c) How any of them could possibly face turning up to day 3. :lol:

Impressive job, I certainly don't envy any one of them doing it though. Was a good video too, I enjoyed that.

*This is a lie. A barefaced, unashamed, complete, utter and total lie.

Worth a little look. There's nothing revolutionary, but it is a fairly fascinating (I think!) if you like this sort of thing, plus the world's biggest 50/50 shot.

I'll never complain about the size of anything I detail ever again*.

A few things about this jump out at me;

First and foremost; his matte silver lenses are f***ing awesome. I want some!

I don't understand why,

a) They were working out in the sun, surely a hanger would be better... surely?!

2) Why detail it before painting bits? This goes against everything I know about detailing more than reaching for the microfibre cutting pads before anything else.

c) How any of them could possibly face turning up to day 3. :lol:

Impressive job, I certainly don't envy any one of them doing it though. Was a good video too, I enjoyed that.

*This is a lie. A barefaced, unashamed, complete, utter and total lie.

I also listen to the AMMO podcasts and they did one on this recently. The reason they detailed it before painting is quite simple. The museum had planned to paint it, so the curators told them there was no point detailing it as it needed fresh paint. They (detailers) asked if they could do it anyway, so as the museum planned to paint it, there was nothing to lose. When they finished I believe the museum put the paint job on hold as they were so impressed by the result :lol:

Love the small section (I think it was Kevin Brown) was doing, a little 2x2 but you could see the oxidisation coming off in literally one pass and looking a fantastic baby blue underneath.

I think they did it outside as most of the the museum is outside and the hangars are full of dozens of planes. It must have been mentally hot out there! I'd have been indoors washing pads :)

I need something that big to learn on!!!!

I also listen to the AMMO podcasts and they did one on this recently. The reason they detailed it before painting is quite simple. The museum had planned to paint it, so the curators told them there was no point detailing it as it needed fresh paint. They (detailers) asked if they could do it anyway, so as the museum planned to paint it, there was nothing to lose. When they finished I believe the museum put the paint job on hold as they were so impressed by the result :lol:

Yeah, they said in that video the museum planned to paint it from the outset until they did a test polish. Unless it changed since that video was made, the museum then said (after the test patch) that they would be painting a section of the white and repainting the gold stripe still, so I just don't understand why they didn't agree which parts to polish or paint, then do the painting first and the polishing after to tidy up any over spray.

I'm sure there was a reason, I just can't work it out. :lol:

I'd be making the museum clear out a hanger just for this. :teeth: Sod that working in the desert lark. :p

• Like 1

NIR Polarised Lenses - FIT - they are on my Xmas list, good for 15 bhp too ;)

http://www.dillonoptics.com/shop/metal-frames/greasewood/silver-nir-lens/greasewood-ss-s.html

This dillon optics seem to sponsor The Smoking Tyre, which probably explains where Larry got his and that they were probably free. B@stard :lol:

• Like 1

Alright, keep the noise down in here you lot! :p

Whilst waiting for my Waxybox to arrive yesterday, I put my time to good use. Start with one replacement emblem, supplied by our very own Mr Tarmac of Tarmac Sportz fame, and add some HubiTrim.

2bf4c176-d352-4811-9856-0c45d7eebfe8_zpsspbpqhl3.jpg

The plan is to remove the old Nissan burger when I get round to the summer prep so that I can polish out some of the scratches and swirls that I can't get to with the emblem in place and then stick this one on in it's place. In the mean time, this one is now fully protected and ready to go on.

The postman then arrived with my Waxybox. This month's box is a Nanolex branded box and, as I suspected, contains the 6 new products in the Nanolex range (if you frequent DW, it's the same products that they issued for field testing recently, which are the Interior Cleaner, Pure Shampoo, Pre Wash Concentrate, Wheel Cleaner & Fallout Remover, Microfibre Wash and Nano One), along with some more Britemax QD, an orange dual pile microfibre cloth, another short pile microfibre cloth, two foam applicators, gloves, a sticker and a very bubblegum scented air freshener. :lol:

Just the one LSP in the box then, and one that I wanted to try for myself at that, so my decision was made. Nano One contains mild, diminishing abrasives, gloss enhancers and adds protection so is every bit the AIO. It can also be used by either hand or DA (although not recommended for rotary) as either an outright LSP or as a last-stage polish & protect in one. So Nano One is very similar to Nano Wax. Very, very similar. Virtually identical in fact, which led me to question where these two products would fit together in the line up - I've since been informed by Rich at Waxybox that Nano One is replacing Nano Wax, which makes sense as they are so similar. I'm also told One is supposed to have an improved durability, but it's not been out in the field long enough for anyone to actually confirm (or deny) this... luckily I happen to have both products to hand; 50/50 test in the future anyone? :teeth:

Onto the car then. Having washed the car on Wednesday and hiding it away in the garage since, I started off with a quick dust down (bare concrete floor :rant:) and then removed all traces of the previous waxes with Car Chem Pre Wax Cleaner. Which did this to the applicator;

S0296239_zpsviwqh9jb.jpg

Can you tell which one I used? :D Even on a clean car it pulls out a lot of dirt, this was just from the bonnet! I like this stuff more and more each time I use it.

I then reached for the Nano One. Having spilt some already, I was acutely aware that it's a very runny liquid - it's a little bit more runny than Nano Wax is - and that it came in a wax jar in the Waxybox, although it's worth noting it'll come in a bottle from Nanolex. I think Waxybox chose the wax jar for their own reasons (30ml sample size and 50ml bottles, for example) but in my opinion that was a mistake due to the consistency.

Anyway, Nano One was applied by hand with a microfibre applicator pad. It was very easy to spread thinly and went quite far. Due to a lack of instructions with it, I treated it like Nano Wax and left it to cure for 10-12minutes and then buffed. It was an absolute breeze to remove, the excess product simply wiped off (even where over-applied and where dried out) and then a single pass to buff to a high shine was all that I needed. I didn't test it's corrective abilities, but will do that at some point.

Now you didn't expect me to use just the one LSP did you? The current selection on the bonnet;

S0356255_Fotor_Collage_zpsihelw2sr.jpg

Pre Wax Cleaner was used on the whole bonnet to give everything a level playing field (even though Nano One would remove anything underneath it anyway). Car Chem Carnauba Glaze was then used on two sections which was then topped with Car Chem Origin wax and Car Chem Connoisseur wax. Both the waxes are usually white, these are just the limited edition colours from Christmas. Origin was the marginally harder wax in the pot so took a little bit more effort to load the applicator than Connoisseur, but once loaded both waxes spread really well and easily, they were each given 5-6 minutes to cure then buffed off with very little effort. Both very nice waxes to use, if pushed I'd pick Connoisseur of the two in terms of use but the differences were only noticeable because I used them back to back. I'd say these were both easier to use than Dodo Juice waxes and close to Poorboys Natty's waxes... albeit without any added scents. Durability will the the difference between these two really.

More to follow.

Having slapped some wax and sealants on the bonnet, I borrowed the Zed Shed camera...

S0076171_zpslfea2csc.jpg

Which isn't true but it's as good an excuse for everything being blue and blurry as anything else. :lol:

Then I remembered how to use my camera. Admire my reflections, b****es! B)

S0086176_zpsfrk3n3de.jpg

S0136191_zpsdg8kjg43.jpg

S0206213_zpsteyksaax.jpg

S0166201_zpscbublyko.jpg

S0186207_zpsvbswdglt.jpg

S0096178_zpszcygcsvv.jpg

S0116187_zpsczfrw64y.jpg

S0146196_zpsfws1muhc.jpg

In case it wasn't obvious from that, the driver's side has Nano One, middle has Origin and passenger's side has Connoisseur on.

S0306240_Fotor_Forum_Collage_zpsx2qjexpw.jpg

Whilst I was there I've added VP Citrus Bling-BSD hybrid to the front wings and boot hatch for durability/water behaviour testing too.

S0236221_zps6lkcdien.jpg

You can't really tell in the pictures, but this is as close as I can get to capturing the difference in the three finishes. Origin darkens the paint more and is a wetter look than Connoisseur whilst Connoisseur has a touch more depth and emphasises the flake a bit more.

S0216217_zpszles184r.jpg

Whilst Nano One is more glassy finish that lacks a bit of the depth of the two waxes. Nano One darkens the paint a touch more than Connoisseur but not as much as Origin.

S0226219_zpsv9t3ggmj.jpg

• Like 1

No carpet in the garage? :stir:

Is the carchem pre-wax cleanser a straight replacement for werkstat prime? Which appears to have disappeared (just after you got me hooked on it :angry: ). Does it muster any cut at all?

http://www.polishedb...-carlack-range/

There is actually. It's just not on the floor. :lol: I've wanted to seal and put flooring down for years, but it's just so horrendously expensive to do a double garage. :dry:

Werkstat have gone on an indefinite hiatus from production so sadly their outstanding Acrylic system might never be available again. Hopefully it's only temporary though. Car Chem Pre Wax Cleaner is not quite a straight replacement for Prime because Prime was (is! I've not given up hope yet...) more of an AIO product as it offered some protection too where as CC PWC doesn't as far as I know. However in terms of cleaning strength, which is what I really rated Prime for, I'd happily say that CC PWC is a very strong contender to Prime's crown.

It doesn't offer any correction act all; like Prime (and Carlack Complete that PB have replaced Prime with) all the work is done by chemical cleaners, so no cut and no fillers. I've not used either of the two Carlack offerings so I'm not sure how they fair in comparison.

I still have some Prime left, so I'll be doing a head to head with Prime and CC PWC during my summer prep. I'll be sure to stick up results up in here too. :thumbs:

Have you tried the Nanolex Pre-Wash Concentrate from the waxybox branded box yet? I can't figure out what is from the description. The first half says, "high foaming alkaline pre-cleaner" which I think means a sort half way between snow foam and citrus pre-wash. Then it says later on that it is, "highly suitable for removal of wax, polish residue and silicones".

Will it strip protection if used as a pre-wash, in a lance, like a snow foam?

I don't want all-in-one-does-50-jobs-and-last-for-19-years-protection-including-nuclear-armageddon products. I just want ones that do one job really well!!!!!

It's a sign o' t' times I tell thee.