tyre pressure advice 18 245

Spatt

Hi guys. Just got some continental sport contact 5s... I have no idea what pressure is in them. (Will check) what should I put in? They seem slick at around 75 - 80 like they on the verge of breaking free.. I have to stay they dont fill me with confidence... they have covered 150miles now and are improving is this normal? I was expecting too much perhaps(thought they would be on rails)

takes a while for the release agent to wear off new tyres, what style of driving was the first 150 miles? if its cruising along a motorway, thats not going to be working the tyres particularly hard, so would take even longer to wear off the release agent.

Mainly wet motorway miles.. I realise this isn't exactly wearing them in... should I.pretty much reset my clock and do another 150? (Manufacturer min break in)

They feel really loose at high speed? I have spacers.. check everythinga tight down there first?

After having the wheels removed for tyre fitting it is always advisable to re-check all the wheel nuts after around 100 miles or so to check that they are all tight still.

I always run my standard size Zed tyres (front 225/45/18 rear 245/45/18) at 35PSI as RickyZ mentioned. This is the Nissan recommended tyre pressure. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

Pressures don't change on tyre size, they change on the tyre compound and the handling traits required.

What do you mean Dan?

For example; 18" 225/45 runs at 34-35PSI but 17" 225/45 runs at 32-33PSI = different tyre sizes/different pressures.

I totally agree with the second part of your statement but just don't get the first bit as the pressure needed as a rule usually goes up from what I understand by 2PSI per inch.

Or have I read what you wrote wrong? :lol: It has been a long day. :yawn:

Broadly I agree with the 2psi rule, however more people change tyre make and model than size, and most don't realise that pressure is governed by sidewall strength along with various other factors, as well as what you want the car to do with regards to handling traits. :)

Were the 17"s 040s as well? I've no idea, never seen the OEM tyres for that size.

Ok 35... I suppose I should go out n check what they actually put in at the garage... but im watching attack of the clones so cba at the mo hehe..

cheers for the advice. I guess if the pressure is right I must have to give them some time to wear in.. After checking all the bolts are tight of course ;) I hope it isn't anything more ... sinister.

Broadly I agree with the 2psi rule, however more people change tyre make and model than size, and most don't realise that pressure is governed by sidewall strength along with various other factors, as well as what you want the car to do with regards to handling traits. :)

Were the 17"s 040s as well? I've no idea, never seen the OEM tyres for that size.

That is true.

Some of the low profile tyres nowadays are incredibly sturdy in regards to their side walls. Probably the reason a lot of people don't even notice after their tyre has lost half it's pressure & almost gone flat. :surrender:

• Like 1

34psi to 35psi for most road cars :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Zeds running standard size 18" tyres then Yes. ;)

Other cars with different size tyres then no. :lol::p;)

iv always gone with that rule :-/ so in that case iv got 275/30/20s on my zed should that still be the same :-D ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iv always gone with that rule :-/ so in that case iv got 275/30/20s on my zed should that still be the same :-D ?

Just did a quick search on google and from what I can find it seems that most people with 275/30/20's are running around 38-40PSI with that set up. Below are just some of the quotes from various owners clubs with owners running the same tyre set up.

I ran my 245/35/20's at 40psi..

40psi on rear.

I have 20" MK Motorsport wheels, 20x9 and 20x10.5 running 235 at the front and 255 tyres at the rear, I was told to put 36psi all round but the rear tyres were loosing air so put them up to 40psi and every thing is now fine.....

38 PSI all around recommended by my rim shop....

Obviously vehicle weights will differ but I'd maybe have a search yourself on google to see if you can find any info from 350Z owners running the same wheel/tyre set up. Personally though I'd imagine 34-35PSI might be a little low for your 20's and going by the +2PSI per inch rule you should be running around 39PSI which would tally with what I'm finding on the net. Hope that helps. :thumbs:

Well i just had my rears re balanced and one was out "15" what ever that means...

i drove around on them and they still feel the same. the best way i can describe the feeling is if you change lanes on the motorway they seem to grab at the road and literally throw the car around... i know it didn;t feel like this before i changed the tyres, the pressure is correct (35) and they have covered 250+ miles now so im happy they have worn in.

Anyone with Continental Sport Contact 5's had a tram tracking effect or think this is what it would be?

Im going to be buying Michelin PS3's for the front soon and i'll get a full align done

Just did a quick search on google and from what I can find it seems that most people with 275/30/20's are running around 38-40PSI with that set up. Below are just some of the quotes from various owners clubs with owners running the same tyre set up.

I ran my 245/35/20's at 40psi..

40psi on rear.

I have 20" MK Motorsport wheels, 20x9 and 20x10.5 running 235 at the front and 255 tyres at the rear, I was told to put 36psi all round but the rear tyres were loosing air so put them up to 40psi and every thing is now fine.....

38 PSI all around recommended by my rim shop....

Obviously vehicle weights will differ but I'd maybe have a search yourself on google to see if you can find any info from 350Z owners running the same wheel/tyre set up. Personally though I'd imagine 34-35PSI might be a little low for your 20's and going by the +2PSI per inch rule you should be running around 39PSI which would tally with what I'm finding on the net. Hope that helps. :thumbs:

thanks for that will have a look around and check the web sits I got them from :-)