Do I need to replace Flywheel when replacing Clutch??

macca_welland

Hi guys

Spoke to Mitz at the Cougar Store. Very helpful and booked in for a clutch replacement. He mentioned that it might be worth getting the flywheel changed at the same time as changing the clutch. Is this something anyone has information about, experience on or advice about?!!

Thanks,

Macca

You don't "have" to if the flywheel is in good condition - what mileage?

I would recommend you do though - go for a lightweight one and get some better engine response ;)

Also the cost of the new fly is less than the labour to change it so you will kick yourself if you have to pay out to do it again later!

• Like 1

As mentioned above, depends on mileage! I replaced both my clutch and fly because it made sense to change as a pair (if flywheel goes after you've just changed clutch, will cost you an arm and a leg in labour costs so might as well do both!) :thumbs:

Also, go for lightweight flywheel.. better throttle response!

Hello Guys

All the talk about light flywheels and faster response etc, how does it change the car, as in.... Do you lose any low down grunt and nice lazy driving style. What i mean is does it make it all revs and fuss to get it off the line and ruin the character of the car or is it just one of those things that is not that much difference.

Just interested if anyone has done this and wished they gone for a standard one.

Any answers appreciated :thumbs:

I never looked back! Didn't ruin anything for me! Just made the car a bit more nippy when you want it to be. Foot flat on the loud pedal, just gives you a quicker more eager response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can live with a bit of rattle at idle, then there is no downside at all. Car will feel more responsive and more eager at any gear at any speed, plus in theory it's a fuel saver as well as you've less rotational mass to shift. One to sell to the missus, I think ;)