Berk HFC's Arrived!

Chromatic

Where's the video already :lol:

Probably can't stop driving it and listening to the awesome sound. :D;)

Or writing a 5000 word essay on" the benefits of hfc's on 350z with an invidia exhaust system" :drive1

bet it sounds better in the states :thumbs:

I like the details but prefer vids ;)

Edited by GIXXERUK
  • Like 1

Hold you horses guys! lol.. This did NOT go quickly.. I got in there and started working with him.. This took 5 Hours!

I'll go ahead and put the Video's up first for you guys... you were asking for them.. I know it's not top notch quality but I was busy working most of the time,.. there is NO WAY in hell I could have done this at home without an Acetylene Torch,.. and considering I've never used one, nor have one.. I would have certainly caused a mess with this project.

The Car Up on the Lift,.. let the fun begin.

Mechanic probably wondering why I'm videoing him lol.. But this is about 1 hour into the first "demon Bolt" on Driver side,.. And out comes the Acetylene Torch.

After 2 Hours of working on ONE Bolt, The one you access from the Driver side Engine bay.. Still wouldn't budge -- He had a Friend/Customer come by and was outside talking to him taking a break. -- I give a little Synopsis of what's going on.

We got the "Demon Bolt" Out from the Driver side after 2-3 Hours,.. and had the process down to a science for removal of the other identical bolt on the Passenger side. I managed to catch the Torching of the Flange surrounding the Bolt in full, and then was filming while holding the Cat with one hand,.. and you'll see SUCCESS as the bolt Breaks (as we wanted) with the breaker bar and the Factory Cat falls out. (This one took us 10 minutes or so, but only because we learned just what had to be done to coax these things out!)

The Youtube video on this is a bunch of BS on a car with my front bolts welded on through heat cycles.. No WAY this was coming off without a Torch. I'm sure some people get lucky and their "Demon bolts" break away with a breaker bar.. but not this one.. not a snowballs chance in hell.

We used The breaker bar with BOTH of us (I'm 200lbs, 6ft.. he's 260lbs, shorter,.. but you see the guy, he's strong.. and he does exhaust work all day, everyday.) -- Bolt wouldn't budge!

We broke The Universal Joint first.. Then the Socket.. Then ANOTHER Universal Joint.. then ANOTHER Socket (over 2 hours)..

After an hour or so.. I was like, I know it's not recommended to use impact wrenches.. but we don't have much choice here.. let's use them. He had a pile of them.. and a 100+ Gallon tank/Pneumatic setup. So we use the first Air gun.. Nothing.. decide.. ok might as well try the other two guns to see if they are "Stronger".. Nothing!

Ok,.. let's flip it from reverse to forward and back with each gun.. Nothing.

Ok let's let it impact for a solid minute+ -- Nothing! After this,.. The impact wrenches were just useless..

This guy has been doing this for 23 years.. and I brought him the HARDEST bolt he has ever dealt with.. do I deserve a reward? lol.. yeesh.

Here's the "demon bolt" (one of them)..

12940581383_724eff2f9c.jpg

12940584633_1dddbbfa4f.jpg

You'll notice it's obviously broken, but honestly.. This is really what you want in this situation.. as you see in the longest video above.. when it breaks.. you are home free. Also, this is the bolt after 3 Impact Guns, with dozens of Impact attempts at 30-120seconds a piece.. in forward and reverse -- The head looks pretty good, not rounded off.

But here's the "Formula" to get a bolt like this off in under 15 minutes:

1) PB Blaster (I PB Blastered these bolts 72 hours prior to this, and 12 hours prior to this.. and all during the process today).

2) I can't say whether the impact really made any difference.. I know it's not necessary

3) Breaker bar!

4) Extensions (Half inch have a hard time fitting in on the driver side, so near the steering shaft you may need to go to 3/8th's to get the socket on the Bolt)

5) Remove all the OTHER bolts/nuts (which came off with a 12" standard ratchet and a little muscle - From UNDER the car.. cause these are facing the RIGHT way.)

6) Go ahead and remove the nuts from the Cats to Straight pipe(pipes if dual catback system) .. to allow for more movement.

7) Move that Stock Cat around a little with your hands.. nothing serious.. but give it some tugs..

8) Rubber Mallet and Screwdriver, file, etc.. Moderately Tap on the flange area.. to move it around a bit.

9) Acetylene TORCH. Most important and the ONLY way these things were ever going to come off.

10) Patience, and more patience.

Essentially doing all of those steps (which really only take 10 minutes or so..) - And heating up the flange like you saw in the long video where I got a good close up shot of it being torched and glowing.. in the proper area (not the bolt/threads/nut).. Then hurrying and getting back on top (with socket already in place if possible to start with breaker bar) to take advantage of the now expanded surrounding area of the "demon Bolt".

Ok.. you get it.. but I just busted my arse today with him.. so it was quite a learning experience..

Now to the Results!

WOW! -- Absolutely amazing! The Berk HFC's don't just make the Invidia Gemini a little louder it makes it A LOT louder.. No Rasp.. none at all. There is some "gurgle" if you will at times when you let off the gas .. but expected and sexy.

It improved the already sexy Invidia Sound that mainly was evident from Idle to 3k RPM -- and it caused 3k to Redline to finally amp up and sound fantastic. Really REALLY made a huge difference in the "Missing" 3k-7500 RPM range that was near stock levels with my Invidia Gemini alone. This car sounds like an exotic Race car now. Yes,.. I've been enjoying driving around at 3-4-5K RPM.. (not so great on gas.. lol) -- Man it sounds so mean. Sounds as fast as the car really is now :D

I highly, highly recommend this combination. I do NOT recommend doing this in your garage unless you have a Torch.. and lots of patience.

Yes,.. Where are the "Before and After" Videos of my exhaust ? ;)

They are coming, it was dark before I could have even a remote chance of recording them,.. Tomorrow I'll be recording some Drive by's.. and so on. I'm really, really liking this Video CamCorder I bought.. You see the videos in a pretty dark environment under the car.. In the daytime it's super good.. and even better it picks up the full tone of the Exhaust now (no more Iphone "low tone" cutoff.)

So , Video's of Standard Start, and Rev's.. Drivebys in the SAME spot with *just* the Invidia catback.. and then in the same spot with the Invidia Gemini True Dual Catback + Berk High Flow Cats are forthcoming.

I drove by a building on the way home, and was like Woahh.. I'm going to have to bring this thing behind some buildings (wish I could find a good tunnel lol) -- and get some sound/video of this..

I'm well happy -- And Exhaust is DONE. There is absolutely NO WAY I'm ever doing headers on this thing.. and have no urge to do so. The exhaust is perfecto now.. Don't want it one ounce louder.

TLDR: -- Berk HFC's are installed. ;)

Take care,

• Like 2

Glad you're happy bud. :yahoo:

I know I really like mine and it's good to know you're pleased as well. If you can find a nice tunnel to drive through or a heavily built up area that's when the exhaust set up sounds best as you can really hear the sound in the car bouncing off the buildings/tunnel walls. B):thumbs:

• Like 1

Essay was shorter than expected......and it's missing the TLDR warning at the top ;):lol:

Glad to hear you're pleased with the outcome :thumbs:

Yeah, maybe it was.. was tired.. :lol: that wore me out yesterday even my feet were hurting standing up under that lift all day.. at first I was trying to stay out of his workshop.. then , as I do,.. I inched my way in and started to feel him out.. And he's just as nice (or frankly,.. nicer) of a guy as/than I am.. we got a long great.. and he was more than willing to let me work on the car with his tools.. only thing I didn't touch was the torch.. Though after you work on a car with another person you form a quick bond lol.. and I bet he would have broken every safety rule in the book and let me use that torch if I asked him just to learn how it works.. After all any damage is on MY car, by ME! ;)

He was was good on price too.. You heard the nervousness of sorts in my voice in the "middle synopsis" video when essentially we were 2+ hours in and he was like.. I don't know what else to do.. (but kept trying).. and I'm trying to think of every option we had left.. googling removing these things.. and there wasn't anything left... -- We at one point considering taking a sawzaw to the Stock cats.. coming off to give us more room.. And I told him.. Look man, I don't want to go through all this and drive out of here paying you for labor and nothing been accomplished. I wanted to keep the stock cats for resell, etc.. but if we have to cut them.. well, we have to cut them.

He was like.. yeah... we may have to.. but I'm still not absolutely 100% sure that one bolt will come off with them cut, so for now we're not going to do that. Which I was fine for.. I was going at a rate of basically $1 per minute.. (he's a reasonable $60 an hour).. but considering I got a quote of $400-$600 from everyone else in town for doing these.. I wasn't worried even at the 2-3 hour mark.. still way under budget.

It was a trial and error.. and I told him .. feel free to grab a hammer and flathead (or other item to bang against) -- and hit it a few times to try and loosen things up.

I went in concerned about the O2 Sensor banks and all that being damaged with impact .. something about 2-3 hours of working on ONE bolt, on a rack, with all the tools you need changes that "concern" a great deal. He said, alright.. that may help.. worth a shot at this point.. And lightly/moderately hammered against the flange of the cat (not the flange that we couldn't afford being damaged).. you know the rest.. eventually.. I believe.. a combination of all we did.. and using the torch for a longer duration on the flange then him with his ladder (as you saw) running up real quick and using the breaker bar worked....

He said he almost fell off the ladder when that bolt broke free lol!

Glad you're happy bud. :yahoo:

I know I really like mine and it's good to know you're pleased as well. If you can find a nice tunnel to drive through or a heavily built up area that's when the exhaust set up sounds best as you can really hear the sound in the car bouncing off the buildings/tunnel walls. B):thumbs:

Exactly.. I've been busy today so no setup video slips.. it's almost dark. I could go find a lit up area I suppose and do Driveby's.. what is cooler than night? (daytime?) meh.. But it's sort of asking for cops .. as all that comes to mind are open parking lots of huge places that are closed for the day, etc.. maybe I can think of something to give some differences.. I can do the Sitting still startup.. in the garage,.. idle.. then when I feel comfy with the oil I will rev it a bit.. but not under engine load it's just not the same sound.

But, yes.. love them.. and anyone who wants louder exhaust than this IN their Cabin.. is half deaf for doesn't care about conversations , talking on the bluetooth, etc in the car. It's already so loud with this that I can easily tell I'm going to have to elevate my voice a fair bit to talk to passengers now.

I'm going to work on dialing the "cabin" noise back a bit with some left over Sound Deadener from my audio install placed in the rear hatch lower sheetmetal.. then I don't anticipate that to quite do the job, so I'm thinking buying some of that "egg-shell" foam and filling the area where the spare tire is (with spare tire in place) should help a good bit.

I'm not looking to take away the sound.. just try to keep the 'drone' dB level down just a hair for "in cabin" .. because right now it sounds like an Italian race car lol.. Sweet, but loud. Let's put it this way.. (and the videos may not pick this up.. maybe I'll do one inside the car too).. but if I heard what my car now sounds like coming up or passing me in general traffic I would think twice before messing with it. It sounds WAY WAY off from what factory should sound like.

Didn't even mention this.. but that was the first mod I can quite noticeably tell a power difference in the car.. it picks up from 3k+ a great deal..

As I've got the Invidia Gemini system recently installed, I need to see the difference between now and when HFCs are fitted :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's coming.. I did have the presence of mind to get a better camera and mic a tripod and mark a location with *just* the Invidia Gemini cat-back on.. with 1-2 driveby's.. (If you notice all the driveby videos you can't hear a thing as the car is approaching normally.. but that makes sense.) -- And a regular standstill camera at exhaust level with a few revs with just the Invidia Cat-Back on..

I'll replicate those for you.

Here are the videos.. Quite windy today, so that made the Camera's mic kick down in volume and up in pitch trying to 'reduce wind noise'.. Anyhow.

Drive By's with just Invidia Gemini Catback (before HFC's):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPdyOB7vEWo

Drive By's with Invidia Gemini and Berk HFC's (same location):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=23ExEYkmcPU

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 2

First video worked fine bud but the second video had no sound when I watched it. Tried it a few times but still got no sound. :byebye:

Anyone else have that problem? was really hoping to hear the difference.

Other than that, good videos & finally know what you look like now. :D:thumbs:

And.. for reference -- No load -- Idle, just revving engine without HFC's,.. and then With HFC's..

Only Invidia Gemini Dual CatBack Exhaust:

Invidia Gemini + Berk HFC's:

Note: These Rev videos are far from the actual sound.. I have to change some settings.

Edited by Chromatic

Very nice and those videos should help give some indication to people of the sound. Although you are so right when you say that the videos never really do the exhaust/HFC's sound justice compared to driving the car & hearing the sound for yourself. B)

Btw really love the exhaust tips on your Invidia. It was a hard decision to make but I went with the stainless steel rolled tips but yours look so cool too. :D;)

• Like 1

First video worked fine bud but the second video had no sound when I watched it. Tried it a few times but still got no sound. :byebye:

Just checked on the Second video .. which is the most important one lol.. And , nope, no sound, Uploading it again now -- Will fix it when the upload finishes.

Edit: -- My dumb-arse didn't edit the first video a few days ago in my zombie state,.. and didn't realize in the last few seconds I walked in front of the camera.. sigh. ;)

Edited by Chromatic

Just checked on the Second video .. which is the most important one lol.. And , nope, no sound, Uploading it again now -- Will fix it when the upload finishes.

You know what I look like now? Hrmm..

From what? The drive-by videos? How can you possibly see me with my tint? lol.

If you are referring to the Berk HFC install videos.. That is NOT me.. That is the mechanic,.. remember I'm behind the camera the whole time. I'm not fat, nor do I have a big belly, and grey beard. :lol:

:dry: First drive by video at 5:25secs as you get out of the car. If that was you driving of course. :lol::thumbs:

Assuming the dark tint is as you're famous or is it for when you do drive by's then? If the latter do you prefer to "spray & pray" or methodically aim at your targets?

I jest. ;):lol:

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

First drive by video at 5:25secs as you get out of the car. If that was you driving of course. :lol:

Assuming the dark tint is as you're famous or is it for when you do drive by's then? If the latter do you prefer to "spray & pray" or methodically aim at your targets?

I juest. :lol:

Ahh.. I just noticed that! I wasn't careful enough ! lol.. I'm supposed to be anonymous :D -- Yeah you got a glimpse of me after being up all night working on a network install in an office building.. I took care of that ;) -- I'll make more videos where I look halfway decent .. I was tired when I uploaded that one, no editing and totally missed it.

I don't care who sees me.. Just rather not have my first impression be my up all night, unkempt , walking dead look :yawn:

Here's a picture .. just so everyone knows what I "Look like".. ;) At least I'm relatively clean in this one.. :D

chromatic_og.jpg

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 2

:dry: First drive by video at 5:25secs as you get out of the car. If that was you driving of course. :lol::thumbs:

I juest. ;):lol:

Ahh.. I just noticed that! I wasn't careful enough ! lol.. I'm supposed to be anonymous :D -- Yeah you got a glimpse of me after being up all night working on a network install in an office building.. I took care of that ;) -- I'll make more videos where I look halfway decent .. I was tired when I uploaded that one, no editing and totally missed it.

I don't care who sees me.. Just rather not have my first impression be my up all night, unkempt , walking dead look :yawn:

:lol:

I wouldn't worry too much ~ have a look at some of the other members on here & that'll make you feel better. http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81438-face-to-the-username/

I hate how I look in every picture anyway but my Mrs still loves me so who cares. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Everything good with the Second video and sound now?

I thought the Cop behind me was funny.. :teeth: -- There is a cop every 200 feet where I live. I was keeping it under the speed limit, so that's why you see my in some of the approaching shots with cars on my arse cause I'm in 2nd gear going 19 mph until I get a little closer to where I believe the camera is then hit it till 55mph and brake.. Not much room for these cars,.. especially trying to shift in 2nd and 3rd.. As in 3rd you can end up over 100Mph without breaking a sweat.

You sure do.. I did blur it with youtubes "bluring" feature I've never used mainly just to annoy you haha.. Obviously if I was worried about online stalkers/killers I wouldn't have plastered my picture in the thread.

We need a "post a pic or vid with your alias -- Face to the names" thread... if there isn't already one.

:lol:

I wouldn't worry too much ~ have a look at some of the other members on here & that'll make you feel better. http://www.350z-uk.c...o-the-username/

Ah, Well I guess we do have a Pic for the User name thread.. I'll definitely have a go at that! Though I am a bit unique here,.. American, Southern Accent,.. well, that's about it haha.. but still. One thing you may have figured out by now is that I follow through with what I say I'm going to do ... I see a lot of people on various forums who are putting this or that on.. and then never post again in that thread.. promise this or that .. never deliver.. -- I know when I was looking and researching what exhaust to get for my "wants" then what to put in place of the Stock Cats it was VERY hard due to lack of solid info.. and video's with direct comparison. I didn't find one set of videos that had the INvidia Gemini on 350Z that ALSO then put various videos of the Berk HFC's on it as well to get some sort of idea of what the change would be.

The videos I've posted thus far , I'm not pleased with -- So more will be coming over the days until I'm happy with a distinct difference in sound between the CBE, and CBE + HFC -- They sound a little too much the same right now and that is not at all what is the case, esp. 3k rpm and up. I have one of those good Car mounts for your camera otw.. (i've always wanted one)-- and this stuff has given me the perfect excuse.. So I figure for this I can mount in on the back to block it from the wind,.. and pointed down toward exhaust so you get the full tone .. literally outside the car.. while I drive around. Won't be too "visually" appealing.. but should capture the sound better.

I did grab that old Kodak Camera and made a quick 1 minute video of the CBE + HFC's revving again to see if it picked up the deeper tones any better.. maybe so, maybe not.. It's up now though, where the other one was on the "idle revving" video comparison.

Very nice and those videos should help give some indication to people of the sound. Although you are so right when you say that the videos never really do the exhaust/HFC's sound justice compared to driving the car & hearing the sound for yourself. B)

Btw really love the exhaust tips on your Invidia. It was a hard decision to make but I went with the stainless steel rolled tips but yours look so cool too. :D;)

That is soooo true, the only real way to find out what your exhaust sounds like is to swap drivers seats with a pal and follow your car while he gives it beans :)
  • Like 1

LOL.. This is actually the legal 35% tint.. it just looks a bit darker due to the contrast of the Silver car against the tint.. On a Black car it wouldn't look as dark. -- I do like my tint though .. I always tint my cars, .. as it really helps with the heat in the summers here 44C+ sometimes.. and it just makes the car look sexier imho.

• Like 1

I cleaned them up.. no missing sound , etc now .. lol. More are on the way this weekend.. as the Car mount comes in.. and I play with the settings of the camera, maybe I can turn off the "auto wind reduction audio adjustment" OFF.. We'll see..

Trying to get a "truer" sound.. And the Camera 2 feet from the exhaust outside the car should do it lol. Maybe.. :D

Yeah I struggled with that before ordering. I was set on the Stainless Rolled Tips as well.. and thought the blue anodized was just "Tacky" and cheap looking initially.. Then within 24 hours they grew on me.. and then it changed to.. I MUST have the blue tips.. but still have to stick with the Rolled version.

Also, the Blue anodized part can be easily polished by hand to look just like the Steel Tips If someone just doesn't like them.. most don't realize that, but it is true. So you sort of get two tips on one with the Blue Rolled Steel.

Another reason was the Blue tips sort of give the exhaust a little TINY flair of "Hey I'm not Stock." .. Which now with HFC's and exhaust I don't think anyone will confuse this with stock :) --

I did do the Pedal sequence to reset the computer today.. man took me 3 tries to get it to work! Nuts how it's setup.. Turn key to On,.. wait 3 seconds EXACTLY.. depress Gas pedal completely in and completely OUT 5 times within 5 seconds... Then stop wait 10 seconds exactly.. Then depress Gas pedal for 10+ seconds,.. CEL will then blink.. At that point release the gas pedal and turn key to OFF position. THen start the Car.. if you did it right, no CEL will be on.

(If I got all that right,.. I can't believe I remembered it lol).. but I did notice the car was "peppier" after that reset.. I figured it wouldn't hurt with the intake, exhaust and HFC mods in place.