Berk HFC's Arrived!

Chromatic

Second video works great now. :thumbs:

I think it's great that you follow through with what you say you're going to do and I know I appreciate the videos & informative posts you've made. If I was looking at getting the exhaust there is a lot of great information in your posts that would have helped me decide and I'm sure it will help fellow owners out. :clap:

I did a video the other day using a suction mounted camera on my rear window facing backwards as I drove the Zed which turned out reasonable considering I have the crappiest camera available from about 10 years ago. :lol: You can hear the exhaust sound pretty well doing it that way (too much wind noise and poor picture quality on my video but you can still hear the exhaust). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/200999190478?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Once I get a decent camera I may re-do the video and then post it .

• Like 1

^ There have been so many posts on here over the years asking which exhaust, which dectas, which HFC's, which combination? The very best thing you can do is track someone down who has what you think you might like and go and have a listen, the next best thing is listen to/watch videos like these.

• Like 1

Second video works great now. :thumbs:

Brilliant! Thanks.

Does it sound much different to you than the other video of just the Catback? I'm going to do some more.. but just curious how much difference can be heard ?

I think it's great that you follow through with what you say you're going to do and I know I appreciate the videos & informative posts you've made. If I was looking at getting the exhaust there is a lot of great information in your posts that would have helped me decide and I'm sure it will help fellow owners out. :clap:

hehe.. thanks. Doesn't hurt that you have the exact same setup to the T that I do lol.. Excellent taste mon ami!

I did a video the other day using a suction mounted camera on my rear window facing backwards as I drove the Zed which turned out reasonable considering I have the crappiest camera available from about 10 years ago. :lol: You can hear the exhaust sound pretty well doing it that way (too much wind noise and poor picture quality on my video but you can still hear the exhaust). http://www.ebay.co.u...&ff14=95&ff19=0

Go ahead and post it.. If you are embarrassed post it and mark it private on youtube.. and PM me the link ;)

Once I get a decent camera I may re-do the video and then post it .

Do that too.. I got this JVC GZ-GM65 Camcorder (like 10ounces in weight).. and you see the picture quality.. for $155 US.. Really went for almost the cheapest Camcorder on the market.. but it's still a huge step up from my Iphone .. and throwing in a 16GB (or 32) card which is cheap as well.. lasts forever. This one lasts 5.5 Hours at 1080p quality.. Hard to top that.

If I ever got serious with it,.. I'd get one of the $700-$1500 cameras.. but for now, I'm very happy with this one and the $29 Tripod I got which is SO handy.. you saw it in the vids..

^ There have been so many posts on here over the years asking which exhaust, which dectas, which HFC's, which combination? The very best thing you can do is track someone down who has what you think you might like and go and have a listen, the next best thing is listen to/watch videos like these.

Yup.. Not easy tracking people down to have a listen.. You really start to meet the people AFTER you have the Z.. and after you have the mods.. I'm finding. But,.. I got mine setup just the way I wanted by doing a ton of research, listening to every clip/video I could find.. and asking enough questions to be annoying. :D

So these videos and such are my attempt at paying it back a little for the next guy or girl on this path...

• Like 2

Great videos. Thanks!

Pleasure.. If considering Berk HFC's.. I can say without a doubt they make it louder across the board.. But it's nothing , to me, that is Shockingly loud.. The Invidia Gemini was already loud in Cabin at idle-3k.. And the volume is still a little 'quieter' at higher rpms.. 3k+ -- But it opened up the 3k+ noise level, which was really needed in my case. But even with v8's.. the higher you get in the RPM band the higher the pitch is on the exhaust note, and the more 'quiet' they are to some degree.. This still screams though no matter where you are.. But I can drive it easy, or pop the clutch in if I'm around police to not get any unneeded attention.

If you watched the second drive-by video.. I had a nice cop on my tail.. and you heard how unbelievably quiet the car was going by (quieter than I thought it would be..) at 35-40ish mph.

My mount came in today.. so I'm probably going to try and mount it on the back of the car.. (I'm a little nervous the camera is going to fall off and be ruined..) -- But I got the Fat Gecko (or something like that) with dual suctions that is supposedly the best/most sturdy for track use and so on.. So surely it will handle somewhat normal driving, with a little bit of agression (staying within speed limits)..

That is another difficult thing,.. With this exhaust now,.. I want to hear the other 50-60 percent of the sound,.. and I just can't do that and be "legal" .. It's not uncommon for me to me on a 55mph stretch of road and slow do to 15mph if no car are behind me,.. to give me 40-45 mph of acceleration to hear the car :)

And.. ya.. my Gas mileage is not happy.. but surprisingly it's hovering around 16-17mpg even with this more aggressive driving which is surprising me. Especially after I did the Pedal sequence to reset the Computer.

Another good example of the difference in volume/sound of this setup is the driveby videos and how loud (or rather quiet) all the other cars are going by.. they all sound like just big waves of wind going by.. Then I go by and it's rrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrr...,.. while many of these cars have some exhaust note of their own, just shows how much is not being picked up.

IE: The cop that went by .. here in the US, the cops are nearly always in a V8, or a V6 built up .. So their motors almost always sound like your traditional V8 Rumble.. I could faintly hear his Cruiser going by.

Edited by Chromatic

The Gecko camera mount should work a treat. B)

The camera mount I've got is a cheap single suction cup £5 ($9) eBay job one and it held my probably 1kg camera on the back window outside whilst I gunned it down the road. :lol:

I really need to get a Go Pro camera though as then I'll be able to do a proper video worth sharing. :thumbs:

Sounds lovely and those roads looked fantastic. B) Our roads generally have quite a lot of potholes! :surrender::dry:

A bit of it got cutout.. meh. Takes a while to encode those 1920x1080 videos and then UL them.. I have one inside the Cabin with me rambling on about stuffs.. Just got done encoding and uploading.. but it went in as a 3D video.. sigh. So it's re-encoding then will upload.

Some people, mostly on youtube I think.. asked for in cabin sounds. So I'm having fun with this new mount.

I'm selling this camera (if the store won't take it back without the receipt) -- (They didn't give back my original receipt when I swapped a broken tripod.. shrug..) as I've ordered the camera I wanted to start with which is $100 more.. but has better audio,.. has a Mic input, headphone input, light input,..etc etc

I bought the original one March 2nd, from Walmart for $188 .. Walmart is giving me a hassle about it.. so I will likely throw it up on Ebay for $100 or so.. unless someone else needs a brand new JVC HD Everio GZ-HM65 for cheaper than new ;)

Anyhow, the new camera is the Cannon Vixia HF R500 -- That I got with the "package" deal of 64GB memory card, tripod (didn't need another one of those).. some case,.. Light (I needed).. a stereo hi-fi microphone to plug in (which I can put a mic outside the car, and have the video coming out of the camera facing forward should be nice.. and more interesting to watch.) -- Plus I want to get into it for more than just "car stuff" but the car stuff has gotten me into video...

The Gecko mount is SOOOO awesome... I can't describe how awesome it is.. goes anywhere, and you can be going 70 mph,.. taking turns, it's not going to ever come off.. It sticks to anything.. So I'm gonna play with putting it like on the hood, or side front quarter panel.. with audio from exhaust area.. And find some cool roads, and maybe some neater looking areas for you guys (and youtube peeps) to look at. This would be perfect for Track use.

Plus The upgraded Mic will help get the true exhaust sound.. this Camera isn't bad at all, but it's very difficult to pick up audio well,.. so we will see what the new one can do with all that.

This exhaust is really hurting my MPG , lol.

Sounds lovely and those roads looked fantastic. B) Our roads generally have quite a lot of potholes! :surrender::dry:

You have the identical Gemini + Berks.. how does this sound compared to yours? Albeit this is in an area you can't hear really unless you are following you car I guess lol.. I'll have an in cabin one in a bit that may help with that.

The pitch sounds a little tiny bit "fart cannish" sometimes.. and it's so far from that, as you know.. though it's really interesting to have a camera facing backwards above your tag between your exhaust.. and then playing it back later having no idea what it's going to sound like.

You have the identical Gemini + Berks.. how does this sound compared to yours? Albeit this is in an area you can't hear really unless you are following you car I guess lol.. I'll have an in cabin one in a bit that may help with that.

The pitch sounds a little tiny bit "fart cannish" sometimes.. and it's so far from that, as you know.. though it's really interesting to have a camera facing backwards above your tag between your exhaust.. and then playing it back later having no idea what it's going to sound like.

Tbh from what I can tell it does sound very similar if not identical. :lol:

Look forward to some more videos. Would be good though if you find a good "private road" for putting your foot down a bit more on though. :D;)

• Like 1

Tbh from what I can tell it does sound very similar if not identical. :lol:

Look forward to some more videos. Would be good though if you find a good "private road" for putting your foot down a bit more on though. :D;)

lol.. never happy with it ;)

This car is so "fast" or powerful that when you hear me just winding through the gears at 3-4k .. I'm at 75-80mph really fast.. To put your foot down on this car is to go 120+ mph if you want more than 1-2 seconds of audio lol.. And that's not an exaggeration. You should know you have the same car.. Running at least 325hp with the mods so far on this HR.

Also, technically, imo.. driving it in the last few videos as I had is considerably more aggressive than most people should be driving normally.. Anything above that is ragging the car,.. of course a point that can be argued but my normal driving is shifting under 3k. (And really more of what people should be aiming to listen to when buying exhaust,.. as that will be 95% of their driving (if they want to keep their license long ;) ).

I also don't like to *rag* the car.. every once in a while is ok for a second.. but running cameras and such.. pushing out 40-60minutes of video is quite a bit. I know most would like to hear and see the car being pushed considerably all over town lol.. but I'm fairly sure we'd also have a nice American cop scene as well (great for views,.. not great for my wallet ;) ).

Got the new camera,.. so am curious to test it out.. Have a uni-directional mic that came with it,.. So am going to put that on the Gecko mount near the tag area.. and then have the camera itself in the passenger seat on a tripod wedged in (have done that before..) with a 12ft wire running to the mic.. Not sure how I'm going to run the wire to the mic,.. as I don't want to cut the cord with the hatch, and don't want to run it out the window lol.. -- So maybe I can still close that hatch without killing the cord (now I need a wireless mic haha).. And two gecko mounts .. but am not going to spend $80 on another mount for a rinky dink microphone lol.. (not yet anyway).. :)

By the time I get free to do this.. it's traffic time here... But with this new Camera, and the battery it came with I should have considerable more time to record (several hours) if needed, then chop it up.

So I'll probably do the Mic mounted outside by tag area.. and then later on pull the mic off.. and let the camera run in the car (maybe with camera's built in mic,.. then with the external mic pulled inside as well just to see what sounds it picks up..)

It shouldn't be a drastic difference,.. but may be, it's def. higher quality. I'd like to get my pedal set done tonight as well. After that set, .. I need to cool my spending and get back to more detailing on the car lol..

You'll know in 3-4 hours (or tomorrow for you guys as it 's 10pm there now).

The vid was 27 mins to make up for the short post :surrender:;) Great effort though, someone asked what it sounded like from within the cab so he goes out and makes a 27 min vid :clap:

Gonna complain about my vid lengths now? rofl :) -- Hey.. majority of the reason they are long is out of sheer laziness on editing.. I throw it in there.. unedited.. and let it encode and upload... You guys know how to work the slider bar if you want to skip along.. it's for sound anyways.. My ramblings are just that.. ramblings to anyone curious about what they are listening to,.. (Remember this is on youtube..)..

With this new external mic and camera with longer life.. I'm probably going to have to do some slicing of the videos.. meh! :D Not going to upload a 2 hour video (Don't think anyway haha).. Which with the traffic around here wouldn't be very uncommon to take 2 hours to go 20 miles..At least it's cooling off down to below freezing tonight.. which will help the car not get so hot like yesterday when it was 80F.

The vid was 27 mins to make up for the short post :surrender:;) Great effort though, someone asked what it sounded like from within the cab so he goes out and makes a 27 min vid :clap:

Gonna complain about my vid lengths now? rofl :) -- Hey.. majority of the reason they are long is out of sheer laziness on editing.. I throw it in there.. unedited.. and let it encode and upload... You guys know how to work the slider bar if you want to skip along.. it's for sound anyways.. My ramblings are just that.. ramblings to anyone curious about what they are listening to,.. (Remember this is on youtube..)..

With this new external mic and camera with longer life.. I'm probably going to have to do some slicing of the videos.. meh! :D Not going to upload a 2 hour video (Don't think anyway haha).. Which with the traffic around here wouldn't be very uncommon to take 2 hours to go 20 miles..At least it's cooling off down to below freezing tonight.. which will help the car not get so hot like yesterday when it was 80F.

Wasn't complaining was complimenting
  • Like 1

Wasn't complaining was complimenting

It's all good.. I was referring more to Octet's (unassumingly innocent) remarks.. :D But thanks! I didn't take your comment in any way but some friendly ribbing/joking.

Americans... :lol:

Generalize much? lol..

You don't even tell me I'm a ****, or to F off. (my feelings are hurt!) :lol:

Annnnnnnywayyyyyy... Back to what matters.. our cars..

Edited by Chromatic