Took the Plunge - My Z - Some Questions for you . . .

monkeybrain1234

Hi All

So I took the plunge over the weekend and got myself a 2005 350Z with 50K and 2 owners as in the pictures. IMO it looks great. Love the Nismo kit on these. I had a Alfa Romeo GTV V6 for 4 years which I loved.

Very sad that my Alfa V6 is going (it has found a new home) but the Z is very different, in a good way.

My initial thoughts (and sorry but cannot help but compare against the Alfa)

The Z feels much more solid and screwed together. The Alfa was a much more rawer experience, The Z is quicker for sure but it does not feel/sound it, again I think the noise and drama in the Alfa were so much so that it made you feel quick (Don’t get me wrong it was quick with 220 bhp). The GTV punched you back into the seat at 4,000rpm and again at 6,000 rpm whether the Z pulls smoothly and consistently all the way through the revs.

Z is able to corner alot harder and faster that is for sure, really is a planted car in the corners. Have to be honest currently this is one of my favourite parts of the Z so far, handling is fantastic.

My biggest issue currently with the Z is the noise. Or should I say lack of it. I had a Supersprint exhaust, CDA induction and Powerflow middle section on the Alfa, and it was beautiful. It had an epic deep burble to it. The Z sounds to be honest - boring. It has a Scorpion Exhaust which is only a few months old but I would like more noise. Its a 3.5 litre V6, I would like it to sound like it. Even at idle there is no rumble! Any suggestions on giving my Z a deeper throatier sound would be appreciated.

The Nismo kit on it looks great, although I am considering lowering it already, and it definitely needs some kind of rear end difuser to finish it off! Looks like I am getting the modding fever already!

Overall I am really happy with the Z and am looking forward to becoming part of the club with you good folks.

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

post-21690-0-43986600-1393371838_thumb.jpg

post-21690-0-29414800-1393371853_thumb.jpg

post-21690-0-71367800-1393372043_thumb.jpg

post-21690-0-28483100-1393372056_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome. I found the same issue with noise like yourself. I bought an R35 GTR backbox and had it fabricated for my 350z. Now it sounds wonderful! Alot more raw v6 sound with no droaning. Here is a video. Very hard to capture the true sound but its the best clip I have currently

Edited by TomLum

Very Nice Zed :thumbs: good to see you're pretty happy so far.

I too have scorpion exhaust, it's the quietest of the aftermarket options by all accounts, however the sound on mine has been transformed by the addition of a Berks HFCs. It's not got that low down grumble (I think you need two more cylinders for that :lol:) but it sounds much better for them when I put my foot in, and also when I come off the gas.

There's loads of options for more exhaust drama, so see a few other Zeds and see if there's a set up out there that makes a bit more of the noise you'd like. There's some extremely good traders too, so you won't be short on ideas for long.

Very Nice Zed :thumbs: good to see you're pretty happy so far.

I too have scorpion exhaust, it's the quietest of the aftermarket options by all accounts, however the sound on mine has been transformed by the addition of a Berks HFCs. It's not got that low down grumble (I think you need two more cylinders for that :lol:) but it sounds much better for them when I put my foot in, and also when I come off the gas.

There's loads of options for more exhaust drama, so see a few other Zeds and see if there's a set up out there that makes a bit more of the noise you'd like. There's some extremely good traders too, so you won't be short on ideas for long.

Thanks for the advice, yes after that low down grumble, from what I have searched on this forum people are saying stay way from the Berks HFC if you want a low grumble. The HFCs are more raspy. Is this right?

Hi and welcome. I found the same issue with noise like yourself. I bought an R35 GTR backbox and had it fabricated for my 350z. Now it sounds wonderful! Alot more raw v6 sound with no droaning. Here is a video. Very hard to capture the true sound but its the best clip I have currently

Is it me or is your exhaust puffing out a fair bit of black smoke???

Sounds lovely though!

Think I will have to investigate a bit further into what I can do about the noise. I like being Loud and Obnoxious! :p

Thanks for all the welcomes. Seems like a friendly bunch of like minded car nuts on this forum. I am sure that will help with the advice and modding which I guess is inevitable!

Exhaust, cats, induction - bring the noise

Some LED lights for interior, number plate - Easy

New Wipers - Easy

Lowering springs - maybe

Update CD player - skipping all the time, very annoying

Rear diffuser/arpon - possibly

And so it starts. . . . . . :D

Nice Zed MonkeyBrain,

Like you I've moved from an Alfa to a 350z. I had a GT Blackline for 3 years (1.8 TS). I do miss it a lot but I'm loving the Zed at the moment :)

Thanks GT Driver

Always liked the GT Blacklines, I was considering the V6 GT or Brera, but decided Z was something different. So far very happy with the Z, handles superbly, but I do miss the Alfa for sure. :D