Panel Filter Performance / Noise Gain???

Darren350

Hey guys!

(Firstly, I have sifted through other threads and cant find the answer to my question so have decided to create my own.)

I want to slap a new panel filter in my 2004 350 but there seems to be ALOT of choice, all around the 30 quid marker.

Do these panel filters offer more grunt noise and performance wise than a bog standard OEM filter?

The ones that I've seen mentioned alot are HKS, Cosworth and Pipercross. Are there better ones for similar prices?

Help and advice appreciated!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If you purely want some more noise you'll want an induction kit, although you won't really hear it that much. Its really just engine bling for a lot of people

:starwars:

Over the noise of my exhaust I have to hit over 5000RMP to be able to hear the induction, and that's for a second or two :lol: - would sound better without the exhaust (Or you would notice it more)

:starwars:

Just want a panel filter guys not a replacement kit. I had a K&N cone filter on my Mondeo Zetec YEARS ago and it sounded alot meatier but I want to keep the 350 pretty stock tbh.

The current filter in the car is dirty and looks like a bog standard Nissan item. Shall I just stick with this then or do the 30 quid ones offer better filtration?

The paper ones are 7 quid on ebay but probably offer as much protection as a loo roll shoved in there lol

I will go for an uprated one then, I assume there is little difference between any of the decent ones???

Might just go Pipercross off of ebay but would rather buy from one of the forum traders tbh. Show my support etc lol

The paper ones are 7 quid on ebay but probably offer as much protection as a loo roll shoved in there lol

I will go for an uprated one then, I assume there is little difference between any of the decent ones???

Might just go Pipercross off of ebay but would rather buy from one of the forum traders tbh. Show my support etc lol

Errrm, i'm pretty sure the paper ones actually offer the best protection.. a filter is designed to stop particulates getting in the engine, and paper does that best. I'm sure a lot of so called 'performance' filters are actually worse for an engine, as while they let more air through, they also let more particulates through - its up to you where your trade off between airflow and filtration level is.

This is the last page of a 9 page test that Fastcar did with all the main brands of filter - theres a big difference in the level of restriction that each offers.

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/05/04/performance-car-air-filter-test/9/

Hey guys!

HEY! I'll offer my opinion from across the pond. ;)

(Firstly, I have sifted through other threads and cant find the answer to my question so have decided to create my own.)

No worries.. this community is not full of a bunch of Nazi A-holes like some other places you'll find.. Don't be scared to make threads (do search.. but most won't bite your head off here :) )

I want to slap a new panel filter in my 2004 350 but there seems to be ALOT of choice, all around the 30 quid marker.

Do these panel filters offer more grunt noise and performance wise than a bog standard OEM filter?

I'm sure this has been said -- but I'll say it ..

In the HR motors (the ones 2006-2008) That have the VQ35HR instead of the 2003-2005.5 years of the 350Z with the VQ35DE motor -- have DUAL intakes.. but moreover these newer models and redesigned motors have a redesign with the air intakes and boxes. First there are two of them.. (you have one) -- Which honestly just saves you money hehe.. -- BUT, the HR motor cars FACTORY airboxes are connected to the outlet to the bumper so it pulls air from the bumper area and NOT inside the engine bay like the DE motors (like yours).

So this makes the choice a bit different. For example I happened to buy a 2008 HR.. having NO idea at the time the 2008 was any different than the 2004 or 2005.. .. So *I* bought two K&N panel filters and put them in the factory airboxes and that's that. Dyno results confirm the panel filters in the factory airboxes gives the best HP increase for the buck.. and many AFTERMarket "CAI" intakes for these dual intake engines actually cause a LOSS of torque/power.

But.. you have a SINGLE intake.. And your single intake pulls from the Engine bay area.. So this actually gives you much more room for horsepower improvement over say how my car came. Which is good news.

Now.. I would not recommend Panel filters for your car (except if you just want to do SOMETHING but as cheap as possible.. ). Cost is the only reason to really go with panel filter in stock location for your car.

Panel filter in your car will NOT change the noise, period. It will *arguably* add power.. but power added from intakes , usually are 1-3hp at best. More on this..

Now if you want SOUND (the hiss/intake) type sound.. My advice is to grab a "Pop Charger" -- Google it. " -- Here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ake Pop Charger

You DO hear those (unless you have some crazy loud obnoxious exhaust that overpowers it.

Now.. those aren't the absolute BEST power makers in the intakes.. but are cool noise.. and can arguably add a horsepower or three.

Now if you are interested in ONLY max horsepower -- it's a little blurry. But, I would recommend getting a LONG tube Intake that puts the air filter down in front of your radiator (in the bumper area). Yes, you have to remove your bumper to install this.. not too bad to do.) These intakes pull air from the bumper area (where you have those slits .. and obviously are pulling much cooler air). So you could (with exhaust freeing up the power in the car.. ) get up to 10hp or so from an intake like this.

But, they aren't cheap.

I recommend the INJEN Long Tube Cold Air Intake for 2003-2006 350Z's -- Looks something like this apart:

INJEN-RD1992P.jpg

And installed (with bumper off) will look something like this (but you will only have one, the one on the driver side):

StillenInstalled-1.jpg

That's my recommendation for the *best* power possible. Now cost.. In US Dollars those cost around $290 give or take. (For me it's $500+ cause I have to get two :( )

Edit: I forgot to mention the "Stillen" Longtube CAI's are equally (and better to some) than the Injens.

For example..even with my superior factory airboxes.. I WOULD definitely have put in the Injen intake(s).. but I just can't justify the cost of $500+ for 5-10hp at most.. maybe in the future.

Now, not sure about Injen retailers in the UK,.. but MANY companies make these long tube intakes -- So you can find one. INJEN Also beat all the other brands (from many Dyno charts I've researched over the months..) -- Others will certainly disagree with me.. but that's my conclusion. That said,.. Stillen comes in close.. and I *think* (I may be wrong) that AEM performed near the bottom of the "Long tube, expensive, intakes".

Then you have the Short "RAM" air intakes that are the same look as the ones above, but stay inside your engine bay.. -- These are cheaper $100-$150 or so give or take.. and some report LOSS of power with them.. many report break EVEN (same as stock) power with them.. and some report 1-2hp. These give you the "noise" though.

Anyhow.. Here's a Pop Charger picture for you:

DSC00402.jpg

Personally.. I think the "Second" best option (money wise) and cool wise.. after Panel filter (which is always the cheapest) -- is to go with a JWT Pop Charger (or another brand).. like above. These cost for this Pop Charger will be about $110 US Dollars (in the UK , not sure.)

The sound is a cool sound.. If I had YOUR car.. and not the HR motor.. I would have spent the extra on the Pop Charger for the Looks (it looks cool) and for the cool sound EVEN with no extra horsepower.

It's all about how much money you have to spend on no gain, to just a few horsepower at best -- and what you expect/want (Sound? Looks? Max. performance possible? Cheapest option that still helps? etc..)

That's my 2 cents.. ;) Good luck with it.

Edited by Chromatic
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...