Martial Arts

Flex

I trained in Tae Kwon Do as well. Had to stop last year after passing my green belt grading due to a knee injury returning.

I'm hoping to start training again soon, but I think the only thing I can remember are the five tenets! :lol:

Trained for the last 12 years with the Martin Ace Taekwondo Academy.

Recommend it to anybody who wants to both keep fit and keep safe, and wont take sh**t from people. :thumbs:

http://martinace.com...ut-the-academy/

Is that why Dblock vanished after you had a disagreement with him? :scare: :scare: :scare:

Dont think so..but there are many Blocking Drills in Taekwondo..but DBlock is not one of them.. :lol: :lol:

• Like 3

Recommend it to anybody who wants to both keep fit and keep safe, and wont take sh**t from people. :thumbs:

Will it's not about not taking sh1t from people though is it. Jeez.

Its about avoiding conflict and having full confidence in yourself and you ability that if you cannot talk yourself out of trouble

you can handle the situation to a successful conclusion.. :thumbs:

I did Wing Chung (Kung Fu) for a year or so. Brilliant fun, and great for fitness! Only reason I stopped was because I moved too far from the school, and there are no good local ones that I have found :(

One day.....

A very good discipline. I did Hankido for a while, then went back to Taekwondo . :thumbs:

Hankidoemhanja.png

Edited by WhackyWill

Avoid conflict yes, not sure about the rest though.

In that case Flex why bother learning self defense, take up sprinting instead, and put some distance

between yourself and the problem. :surrender:

Err because I find running ultra boring. And yes if I desperately had to use it I would but you can get in serious trouble if you injure someone and you are known to have practised martial arts for some time as you are classed as having an advantage over them. That's where I'm coming from.

Tbh if 3 lads confronted me and I was able to I would still probably run away rather than risk getting hurt unless a loved one was in danger of course.

• Like 1

Will it's not about not taking sh1t from people though is it. Jeez.

Its about avoiding conflict and having full confidence in yourself and you ability that if you cannot talk yourself out of trouble

you can handle the situation to a successful conclusion.. :thumbs:

I done cage fighting for a bit there studying BJJ, Judo, Thai.

Personally the TKD stuff doesn't do it for me at all. I prefer stuff the resembles real life fighting situations.

I've done a bit of BJJ. I used to play a lot of rugby, to a reasonable standard, and obviously train functional strength at the gym, but doing something like Judo or BJJ it's amazing how even though I'm way above average strength it doesn't always equate to dominating your opponent. That's what I enjoyed about BJJ it's about grappling and using skill rather than all out strength. Don't get me wrong having strength helps ultimately, but it is how you apply the strength that's more important.

I loved watching the Judo and TKD at the Olympics - so much stamina and control - great stuff. Learning for the sport and the discipline is the way to do it, doing it for anything else is plain stupid.

I did some door work for a while and the amount of people that did "moves" to try and put you off or scare you is quite pathetic - it's a shame the wrong people learn it for the wrong reasons.

Anyway, great to see people doing Martial Arts and exercise/sport - it's good! And if you can help defend yourself in a situation where you can't run away so much the better.

• Like 1

I was threatened by a gang of hoodies recently; it could have turned nasty, but a few withering put downs using words they couldn't understand had them begging me for mercy ;)

Disclaimer: The above statement may not be entirely, or even remotely, true.