Anyone added Berks or other HFCs to a Nismo yet

sipar69

As per the title - interested to know if anyone has done this yet and what the results have been - especially sound wise. I like the Nismo cat back but would like to give it a bit more volume without going mad or replacing the whole system. (Although I do like the look for the Invidia Gemini for the price)

Will has kindly offered to have a chat about his experiences of HFCs on the 350 and 370 which I will be taking up, but any other thoughts also gratefully received. Looking at the US forums, opinions seems to differ on how much HFCs do for the Nismo. Will I get a general increase in volume, or just more volume at higher revs etc...etc

Cheers :)

I have Kinetix HFC's and the Nismo S-Tune on the 350Z... Love it so much! It's not too loud at low revs and you can hear a slight roar at legal motorway speeds. Over 3K and it really is awesome. There is a slight rasp at certain RPM, but I have absolutely no regrets.

P.S. I know you meant for a 370, but very similar scenarios

Edited by Paddy78

Fitment varies between brands,

From what I've experienced with a;; the tinkering of recent weeks is that The Ark pipes are slightly shorter than the OEM cats, pulling the whole exhaust back & up slightly, Then the Berks are a fraction longer than the OEM cats pushing the exhaust back & down causing issues with W-brace.

De-cats definitely make the exhaust sound a fair bit louder, but HFC will just raise the volume a little

The above statement may not apply to every set of Berk or Ark pipes, but certainly applies to those in which I have fitted on cars

Fitment varies between brands,

From what I've experienced with a;; the tinkering of recent weeks is that The Ark pipes are slightly shorter than the OEM cats, pulling the whole exhaust back & up slightly, Then the Berks are a fraction longer than the OEM cats pushing the exhaust back & down causing issues with W-brace.

De-cats definitely make the exhaust sound a fair bit louder, but HFC will just raise the volume a little

The above statement may not apply to every set of Berk or Ark pipes, but certainly applies to those in which I have fitted on cars

Thanks Darren. I know that Will had some issues with Berks and Stillen. Have you seen the same problem with other exhausts? I was quite warming to the idea of some Berks but not sure I want all the hassle of dealing vibration problems....

I've not seen the underside of the Nismo exhaust so it would be hard to comment, with the Stillen exhaust there is a fair amount of adjustment available as it has the clamped sleeves, but I would imagine that the Nismo only has the flange fittings like the OEM, so no adjustment.

I think it's just luck of the draw as to whether you get a decent set. The ones we tried on Will's car were a mile off hence why he has OEM cats

Hiya,

Fitted the Berk HFC's to the Nismo 370. Did them myself and it took me getting on for 4hrs to fit at home i.e. on ramps. The line and fit was spot on, all flanges and bolt holes were correct hence no rubbing/knocking or such like issues. The Berks have marginally increased noise for the good but not massively louder. I actually thought they were quite subtle but when I took a friend out last week and gave it some pedal he immediately asked what had I done to the exhaust and was it still the stock Nismo box. Can't say s it feels any faster but bought mine just for audible enhancement so tick in the box.

A long shot but I'm Midlands if you wanted to have a run/listen?

Hey Kris,

So do you feel it was worth the cost for the improvement in sound? Are we talking deeper overall or just louder when you give it some revs?

Thanks for the offer of a listen but I'm quite far from you unfortunately :)

Edited by sipar69

It's a deeper tone overall i.e. noticeable increase when fired up from cold and noticeable throughout the gears. Its a subtle change and its easy to want more but I'm happy with it. I did like the Nismo exhaust note when I first test drove, just a slightly raspier/louder version of the same.

Bit of an interesting update to this: Having contacted Mark at Abbey Motorsport turns out that in a few weeks I'm going to be one the first (maybe the first) customer in the UK get a 370 fitted with a set of HFCs developed by Cobra. According to Mark they are moving from Berks to the new Cobra cats which should make MOT fails even less likely.

I suspect in the long run this might be an interim solution for me and I'll go with a whole new system, but hopefully the new Cats will give the exhaust note some extra growl in the meantime. :)

Bit of an interesting update to this: Having contacted Mark at Abbey Motorsport turns out that in a few weeks I'm going to be one the first (maybe the first) customer in the UK get a 370 fitted with a set of HFCs developed by Cobra. According to Mark they are moving from Berks to the new Cobra cats which should make MOT fails even less likely.

I suspect in the long run this might be an interim solution for me and I'll go with a whole new system, but hopefully the new Cats will give the exhaust note some extra growl in the meantime. :)

Hmm does this mean they will be available for the hr 350? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk