Decat exhaust pipes

toffeeman

I've seen on Ebay various types of Decat exhaust pipes. How many does the Zed have in total and how many can you change (if any) before the exhaust emissions are compromised? Could you get away with changing the singles or the downpipe without affecting your MOT chances.

These are the ones I've seen on ebay.

da_12.JPG

6d_1_b.JPG

stock Y pipe has a resonator, the aftermarket ones don't, so will sound better

Many aftermarket Y pipes (though not all) also will give a nice boost in torque too (I've seen up to 9 ft lbs at the wheels). Don't be fooled though, many of the ebay ones are ill fitting replicas of great pieces, but with corners cut. These corners though are often what makes the part work (and fit!)

stock Y pipe has a resonator, the aftermarket ones don't, so will sound better

Many aftermarket Y pipes (though not all) also will give a nice boost in torque too (I've seen up to 9 ft lbs at the wheels). Don't be fooled though, many of the ebay ones are ill fitting replicas of great pieces, but with corners cut. These corners though are often what makes the part work (and fit!)

Thanks for the reply Adam,

I've just been looking around your website which is fantastic. Do you have a price for the K+N Typhoon intake kit for the Zed as there isn't a price on your site?

Cheers,

Craig.

Just to clarify - its not illegal to have decats.

Its illegal to have a car that does not pass the emissions tests - and even that you are most likely just to get a rectification notice.

but any types of decats won't pass emission tests afaik, that's why I called them "illegal" :)

Its illegal to have a car that does not pass the emissions tests - and even that you are most likely just to get a rectification notice.

but any types of decats won't pass emission tests afaik, that's why I called them "illegal" :)

Am I right in assuming that they test emissions at MOT time? Therefore you would fail your MOT by having decats?

Am I right in assuming that they test emissions at MOT time? Therefore you would fail your MOT by having decats?

Not always, It has been known for cars to pass even with decats.

Also depends on who does your MOT for you ;)

Not always, It has been known for cars to pass even with decats.

Also depends on who does your MOT for you ;)

I don't think a Z would ever pass an emission test with decats on, if the test is done correctly and the equipment works ok.

My Z just about passed it with hi-flows...

Whats all the fuss about noise?! im confused.. dont want it too loud or u just annoy everyonein your neighbourhood :thumbdown:

I assuming the only time u can benefiit from these extras such as.. nismo exhuast, headers, de-cats, air intake, is if u then get an engine re-map.. u must be able to get about 30+ HP increase from all that..

Once you get to 4k the noise is very loud, Nearly every passenger has complained about the noise when accelerating past 4k.

Some people like lots of noise from their cars. My first car was a C2 which had no silencers or cats :teeth: Used to pop and bang when down changing B)

Personally I like my cars to be loud whereas others dont, its all down to personal preferance :)