Thinking of drifting or track day?

Spatt

On my first every track day at Bedford, I spent the morning with the TC on, as I wanted to learn the track and go at my own pace with a safety net. By lunch the TC was off, and I was pushing alot more. I went on my own to that one, and I think was better for it. If you go with others, you always try to race them and out do each other, no matter what car they are in.

Elvington is known to be very hard on tyres, Blyton has a new tarmac surface though and no barriers to hit as it was an old airfield.

Sorry, yes, I meant Blyton has a laid surface!

I didn't get insurance, as long as you drive defensively, and be aware of whats happening around you, there's very little chance of hitting anyone else. The main risks come from not listening to the car and overcooking a corner due to overheating tires/brakes or being ham-fisted.

Absolutely agree with this, but when I get insurance it's not because I'm worried about myself, it's to protect my pride and joy from someone else being an idiot. That's where the real risk lies IMHO, in someone else driving like a tit and hitting you.

Yeah, it just depends on what amount of risk you find acceptible. Having said that, the main potential incident at my first trackday was an Evo coming up my left hand side into a 90 degree left hander when he had zero chance of getting past due to the lateness of his maneuver! Thankfully I'd seen it coming in my mirrors, but it was literally down to me to brake enough to let him past and not T-bone me as I turned in. :wacko:

Now your talk Gudzy!! That really how much a full day is? Im getting on that begginer full track day. Hope my tyres last that long! They are cracked on the shoulders

Dont take the zed to the Oulton drift day... the track is raised slightly from the grass alongside it and within an hour you will have wrecked that Nismo bumper/sideskirts being fiberglass. I've dont the Oulton drift day about 7 or 8 times... the first time i went in my previous zed but then after that i bought an RX7 and then an E36 specifically for it. Amazing fun, just not in the zed.

If i were you i'd look at the track taster sessions - most tracks do them including Oulton park, and you're paying £25-30 for a 20 minute session to get a feeling for it. You'd be surprised at how long 20 mins feels like when you're on track too - it would certainly be enough to whet your appetite.

Alternatively, http://www.trackdaydrivers.com/ run sprint days at Curborough in Stafford i think. I went there once and it was ok, but it's only £60 for all day. Just you on track for about 90 seconds on a technical circuit, and then you come off and go to the back of the queue whilst other people have their go. I got about 20 runs in the whole day. If you look on the website, there is a picture of my silver zed in their site footer and in the rotating header banner!

Edited by marzman

There's a novice track day coming up at Brands Hatch. I did my first track day there and it was great. They limit the number of cars on circuit and are very sensitive with the marshalling , waving the blue flag to let the quicker cars through. They run 6/7 sessions of 20 mins so you don't get too tired and you get 20 mins to let everything cool and check wheel nuts etc, Its not too harsh on tyres or brakes either. I'm about to book another full day there myself.

Edited by Slosh

Cheers for the heads up Marzman.. your right it is slightly raised up.. when my second name is Block ill go ahead and book it..

think im going for the track day first... AFTER i get my new tyres and hopefully the weather will be a little better too :thumbs:

The one and only one I have done was taster/introduction. I found the enforced control of a limited session time with only a few cars on track at once, plus having to come off/relax/have a coffe/watch others, before being allowed out again was good for me and undoubtedly gives the car a break too. I'd have been lost on a open day as to how long I'd been out, temps, etcetera, as it's just so damn exciting and you can get a bit of tunnel vision :lol:

I find sessions more hectic, as you find people driving flat out for 20 mins as they feel they need to get their money's worth regardless of how they or the car is fairing. Not so bad on single-marque owner's club days (vx220.org at Anglesey with BaT was a highlight), but on mixed days it can be a little more iffy.

When doing open pit, I just avoid the first 30 mins in the morning, let the nutters go out and go mental for a bit before you go out.

I find sessions more hectic, as you find people driving flat out for 20 mins as they feel they need to get their money's worth regardless of how they or the car is fairing. Not so bad on single-marque owner's club days (vx220.org at Anglesey with BaT was a highlight), but on mixed days it can be a little more iffy.

When doing open pit, I just avoid the first 30 mins in the morning, let the nutters go out and go mental for a bit before you go out.

And watch where they catch themselves out, then you shouldn't do the same. Also, remember what it is you're driving, last year at Trax I watched a saxo try and outbrake a 911, the 911 took the corner nicely whilst the saxo went into the kitty litter and ended the session for everyone.

• Like 1

I'd not considered it like that, pure inexperience on my part, makes sense. I guess those old Jaaaag drivers are spent after two hot laps. ;)

Perhaps not on novice days if everyone is a genuine novice, but that's very hard to police. It won't be the case every time, I know, but worth thinking of.

Also, the best trackdays I've ever done have been in the wet. Really sorts the proper drivers from those that just have oodles of power.