Photo Geeks Assemble - DSLR Guidance Please

Stutopia

I have a 600d but about to upgrade to a 5d mk3. My buddy has the mark 2 and both cameras with the same lens, his blows mine out the water. I wish I went full frame at the start.

Dblock I agree a good lens is a wise investment but a good photographer with a kit lens will smoke an amateur with a 2grand lens I'm afraid. The 50f1.8 had too short a field of view for normal photos-it's fine for portrait though.

I have some stunning raw photos on the kit lens. A good e-ttl flash will help also. Camera flash is pants.

What's that old saying again? Learn to walk the walk before you talk the talk.

Of course. Il openly admit I could never take photos as good as above but £150 is expensive to me but not so much to you guys. But I won't lose much on anything I've bought and I've not invested £1000's into the camera. For me it's just for fun really.

If you have no real reason to upgrade the kit lens then I complete agree. Like I said it just didn't work for me. Those canon L lenses are silly priced though lol.

For a relative beginner i'd say the kit lens, usually 18-55, is more than capable. The below are all taken on an old Nikon D40 with that lens, but now I have 200 and 300mm zoom lenses with my Nikon D7100 along with the experience i've gained so hoping to get much better results. Really need to look in to getting either a 30something prime or the 50mm that people have mentioned, very interesting to read the views on those by people that use them.

9599379708_bca7a2543f.jpg

Long Exposure 3 by HE is DARE, on Flickr

9599378376_3348281716.jpg

Sunny Forest by HE is DARE, on Flickr

7983178138_5b03a1ab9b.jpg

Dog on the beach alone by HE is DARE, on Flickr

Loads more on my Flickr account :)

Agree with AJR... best thing to do is to try both out... you will find one easier to use (sub menus and adjustment wise) than the other.... i like Nikon but a good friend of mine uses Canon (he has some SERIOUS kit!!! photographer by trade). he sometimes has to use mine to take shots of me and i use his to take shots of him.. thankfully we are both good enough to each other to set the camera up to need minimal adjustment otherwise we would both be lost!!!

Both have their merits, and are very capable. As someone said earlier int his thread one of the key points if how it fits in your hand, and how the buttons are laid out for you to work with easily.

I use a canon 50d along with an 18-75 zoom and 50mm1.4. I would spend the more money on good lens's, as the body can be upgraded if you wish further down the line. My 50mm is my favourite lens - very fast lens and you can create some great images with focal distances.

Quite a bit of good advice contributed so far on this thread :thumbs:

I made the decision to invest in the lenses rather than the body, and I'm pleased with my decision. I have a Canon 650D which I bought with the kit lens; this got sold without ever being used for around £60 and I got the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC which has already been mentioned and is a cracking lens for the money. I own a 50mm f1.8 Prime which has also been mentioned, but I rarely use that because the Tamron is so good (although the 50mm is great for portrait stuff). If you plan on doing low light or portrait stuff a decent flash makes a hell of a difference.

Another bargain if you want a well priced zoom lens is the 55-250mm lens which I was using until about a year ago when I upgraded to an L lens, which is a bargain for the performance on offer.

OP mentioned the higher pixel count on the Nikons; remember that the higher you go the more it will highlight a poor lens!

Another factor which makes a big difference in my opinion is having decent editing software such as Adobe Lightroom.

But above all, if you are new to DSLRs get a decent book/watch a tutorial online/book onto a seminar/have a look on the TalkPhotography forums, because your ability to use it well will make much more of a difference than throwing money at the equipment!

HTH :)

Any photo editing software is useless without a good colorimeter (makes the colours on your screen life accurate), as the colour profiles are always off. If you want to go the whole hog, you gan get some very fancy printers that utilise the same tech. Lots of £££ though :/

Adobe photoshop cc is what I've been using. Cant get to grips with Lightroom at all.

I also have CS6 through work and struggle to do everything/anything on it, where as Lightroom is to me a lot easier! I take my hat off to anyone who can use PS like yourself

I wouldn't say useless to be fair. Maybe not as accurate but not far off. I've just had some prints done and I'd say my MacBook Pro screen is almost identical in colour to the prints

+1 not useless at all, the screens in modern Macs are pretty good.

Adobe photoshop cc is what I've been using. Cant get to grips with Lightroom at all.

I also have CS6 through work and struggle to do everything/anything on it, where as Lightroom is to me a lot easier! I take my hat off to anyone who can use PS like yourself

I wouldn't say useless to be fair. Maybe not as accurate but not far off. I've just had some prints done and I'd say my MacBook Pro screen is almost identical in colour to the prints

I just watch tutorials then have a play with it. I'm just learning to do proper

I just watch tutorials then have a play with it. I'm just learning to do proper airbrushing! It's absolutely awesome but quite difficult to get the hang of it

People keep mentioning the Tamron lenses, so I'll keep them in mind. The nifty fifty also seems to be a favourite, so that's logged too.

Excuse the noobish question, but I am assuming (do correct me) that these 3rd party lenses are fully friendly with the canon bodies, in terms of compatibility of auto focus and including image stabilisation and whatever else they do when they're strapped on?

Edited by SuperStu

People keep mentioning the Tamron lenses, so I'll keep them in mind. The nifty fifty also seems to be a favourite, so that's logged too.

Excuse the noobish question, but I am assuming (do correct me) that these 3rd party lenses are fully friendly with the canon bodies, in terms of compatibility of auto focus and including image stabilisation and whatever else they do when they're strapped on?

aslong as you get the right fit then yes.

Canon or Nikon there's no real difference, though the likes of Olympus and Pentax is now making some very nice cameras which give better value for money on the body side.

Just remember what ever body/lens you buy at the start essentially comits you to that brand for life (unless at some point you sell the whole lot and start again).

I've been through a few third party lens/nifty fifty but have now ended up with just one main Canon lens which stays on my camera 90% of time, it's the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS, pricey but worth every penny. Still cannot afford any L lens but if you want the best quality stick to OEM manufactures, though clearly you have to pay £££ extra quality. I haven't got any L lens but have seen RAW files of photos taken with L lenses and full frame...the quality/clarity is simply unbelievable!!

Oh don't be afraid to buy second hand, my entire collection of camera gear is second hand. Camera equipment rarely if ever break so you really don't needs to worry about warranties and your save 50% compared to buying new.

But a good photographer with a iPhone will get better photos than someone who hasn't got a clue with a DSLR. Things like shallow depth of field are great but it means you have to be pin-point accurate with focusing, and all the stuff about micro adjusting the focus to avoid back focusing etc I just don't understand :(....

But it's all good fun when you realise even some one who is abit clueless (like my self) with £500 worth of second hand camera gear (Canon 550D and 70-300 Canon IS lens) can get shots like this :).

8070183518_11f1b431bf_b.jpg

8076511093_e0b1bb2f32_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1