diesel

stuey

if you had 20k to spend on a performance diesel.......... wot would you buy............???

A one way ticket to boredom?

How so? With deisel you get better response from a chip and alot more torque and only fill up twice a week.

Audi A3 tdi then chip it, might even give 350z a run for its money around town. B)

if you had 20k to spend on a performance diesel.......... wot would you buy............???

I had a A3 Tdi sport before the zed and that was good for a diesel...... midrange was excellent. I'd get one of them and chip it. Some of the figures you can get now are stupid! ;)

How so? With deisel you get better response from a chip and alot more torque and only fill up twice a week.

Audi A3 tdi then chip it, might even give 350z a run for its money around town. B)

Narrow power band, all or nothing power delivery, noise, greasy crud all over your hands every time you fill up, can you tell I don't like Diesels :D

I buy them because they sell, but I wouldn't drive one myself. For me they belong in 4x4s, Commercial Vehicles, PSVs and Reps motorway hacks. Even then, the 4.2TD in my Land Cruiser completely ruins the car and I would much rather have it with a big quiet V8 petrol engine.

Having said that the 2.7 Twin Turbo Diesel in the S-Type ( and Discovery 3 ) is a superb engine and I just sold a 2.5 V6 TDi A4 Avant and that was pretty good too. Still not a patch on a good petrol engine though and there a 3 other factors to bear in mind :

1> Modern petrol engines are superb on fuel.

2> Diesel is more expensive than Petrol.

3> You pay a premium for the Diesel engined version of most cars.

Those 3 added together negates the whole point of buying a Diesel in the first place. If you do your sums you have to be doing a tremendously high mileage to be better off with the Oil burner.

P.S. I have an A3 2.0 TDi just now and while it is pretty nippy I really can't see it worrying a 350z.

I've just come from a 140Bhp A3 2.0TDI and that was good in the midrange and nice to drive.

However, in the two weeks i've had the Z i now realise what i've been missing. The A3 was easy to drive and did 50mpg, but it wasn't exactly fun in the same way as the Z

Narrow power band, all or nothing power delivery, noise, greasy crud all over your hands every time you fill up, can you tell I don't like Diesels :D

I buy them because they sell, but I wouldn't drive one myself. For me they belong in 4x4s, Commercial Vehicles, PSVs and Reps motorway hacks. Even then, the 4.2TD in my Land Cruiser completely ruins the car and I would much rather have it with a big quiet V8 petrol engine.

Having said that the 2.7 Twin Turbo Diesel in the S-Type ( and Discovery 3 ) is a superb engine and I just sold a 2.5 V6 TDi A4 Avant and that was pretty good too. Still not a patch on a good petrol engine though and there a 3 other factors to bear in mind :

1> Modern petrol engines are superb on fuel.

2> Diesel is more expensive than Petrol.

3> You pay a premium for the Diesel engined version of most cars.

Those 3 added together negates the whole point of buying a Diesel in the first place. If you do your sums you have to be doing a tremendously high mileage to be better off with the Oil burner.

P.S. I have an A3 2.0 TDi just now and while it is pretty nippy I really can't see it worrying a 350z.

Granted an A3 standered is no match but chip it and around town it will keep up with the Z. Im not a fan of deisel cars but got to give credit where due on an A3. Yeh on straights and on a track fair play to the Z

Modern day diesels are streets ahead, but they all rely on turbos to get going anywhere. Audi wouldn't be using them in Le Mans if they didn't have the ability to race with them. By the time you get them running as quick as petrol using a turbo there's no real gain in fuel consumption anyway, the Audi still only got 6.9mpg over the race as opposed to 6.5 for most of the others.

Get something small and nimble IMO. A3 doesn't handle of feed much back, well made but old tech. :)

My 407 GT Coupe has the same engine as the Jag (V6 2.7) every extra you could wish for, goes well, good on fuel, very quiet and comfortable, it's not a 'twisty' section car but a great cruiser... well I like it! :D

The 330d is cracking. My mate had a 330d coupe before he bought his M3.

I like Audis though. I think you do get a 3.0 diesel Stuey.

I'd rather have a 4x4 diesel in my opinion though (old rangerover for 20k.....)