The Ashes

Jetpilot

Not sure if there are any cricket lovers on here and perhaps posted in the wrong section first, but if there are, what has gone so horribly wrong in the Ashes?

Team selection

Captain

Management

Individual players

Game plans

Or just Australia have been way too good?

Sadly i dont see it as Australia have been too good, a number of times we have made good progress with the ball getting the top order out for not a lot and Haddin, Smith etc have come to the crease and put on extraordinary runs for respectively middle order & tail end batters and Nathan Lyons taking 5 wickets on a non turning pitch bowling round the wicket, you got to be kidding me!

So has it been a combo of all the above, adding into the mix some woefully poor fielding at times and also some bad luck (first toss won today)?

So whats the answer, wholesale changes as in this test? Although at this early stage that doesnt look to be working, Rankin was carrying an injury before the game and only passed fit on the morning, why risk it?

Sadly been watching all the verdicts at 9pm to see what the pundits/ex players have to say. One thing stuck out for me, seems to be the good old, if plan a doesnt work almost immediately, bowl short, seems they have no patience to stick to their guns and follow a plan. Broad is awesome bowling line and length with the odd bumper to push them back but after years and years he seems to ignore how he takes his wickets.

Will also add, Cook against Clarke as Captain is night and day, whilst Clarke reacts almost instantly, its almost too late by the time Cooky seems to realise the game is getting away from them.

Hoping for one excellent first innings to give a good lead of 150 - 200 runs over the Ozzies and see how they react under real pressure.

•  

I semi agree, but you dont get to Number 1 in the world not that long ago with predominantly the same squad we have just seen.

Rip em apart is fine, again i sort of agree as some players positions seemed nailed on regardless of form, a good kick up the rear and you would see who improves and wants to play, problem is, is not like the football market where you can buy in some form to challenge for vacant positions and there really isnt anyone better playing county cricket, particularly with the bat :(

Top order all out of form at the same time, usually there's a couple in good nick which can get some decent numbers but they were all just not at the races. Also the 3-0 win in the summer was slightly flattering IMHO.

I don't think the Oz team is anything special.

Also the 3-0 win in the summer was slightly flattering IMHO.

I don't think the Oz team is anything special.

Could have easily been 4-0 if that test wasnt called off for bad light, or 4-1 when the rain saved England, but they were closer tests :)

Absolutely agree about Oz though, they hadnt won any test for ages, maybe it was just performing at home on pitches they groomed to suit their attack and nullifying ours (swann)??

Nathan Lyon getting 5 wickets, will enjoy seeing him against a batting attack in form!

Edited by Jetpilot

Confidence, as in a complete lack of it.

They went in as favourites, but look at Cook's eyes in the interviews before the 1st test: They're dead. There's no belief there at all, and you could see that as soon as the wickets started falling.