borrow an ide hard drive reader

jumping350

I think pembrokeshire might be a bit far away - but i have one :blush:

if you don't get any joy - I'll box and post it and then you can return it when you're ready

Edited by ioneabee
  • Like 1

thanks neo i did try that but wouldn't boot im guessing it wont recognise the drivers?

if the older pc you have has 2 ide connectors (which it will have - 1 normally into exisitng hard drive and 1 into a cd/dvd drive) - unplug the dvd drive and connect your hard drive to that (checking that the jumpers are set to auto or slave) - you will then be able to start that pc with its normal hard drive and your old HD shows up as effectively storage space

Oh god ive only just got it working again lol so if i unplug cd drive and chuck it in there should work, i don't want to mess with the jumpers again as that was a thorn in my side for ages if the jumpers weren't in right place nothing would happen right? Might just give it a go

Oh god ive only just got it working again lol so if i unplug cd drive and chuck it in there should work, i don't want to mess with the jumpers again as that was a thorn in my side for ages if the jumpers weren't in right place nothing would happen right? Might just give it a go

Worst case scenario, PC doesn't boot. No damage will come from changing the jumpers :) As long as you got another IDE lead in your PC spare or connected to as mentioned by ion, a dvd/cd drive, just swap that over for your hard drive. Set the jumpers on the hard drive to slave, that way it will just act as a storage device, and boot from your other hard drive for your operating system.

Going forward its times like this when you start think about getting some sort of back up in place. External 1tb hard drives are well cheap now which is what ive just bought to back up all my stuff. I also use google drive which auto sync`s all my stuff, which has the added benefit that i can access my stuff from any device.

Hope you can recover it all okay!

Edited by rabbitstew

Haven't tried yet, but this forum is epic for help,the jumpers are even labelled on my old drive so that's sorted out where slave is, so will swap cd drive for old hard drive shortly.

alive boy believe me 2 weeks ago i was in same boat as you, learnt a hell of a lot over Xmas via taking it apart google and my friend, rebuilt my whole computer for £90 thanks to gumtree and its never run games so quick and overcame a lot of problems due to old motherboard and new OS and leads etc

just like cars im glad i learnt to do it myself shows how much pc world and computer repair shops stiff you

• Like 1

thanks neo i did try that but wouldn't boot im guessing it wont recognise the drivers?

if the older pc you have has 2 ide connectors (which it will have - 1 normally into exisitng hard drive and 1 into a cd/dvd drive) - unplug the dvd drive and connect your hard drive to that (checking that the jumpers are set to auto or slave) - you will then be able to start that pc with its normal hard drive and your old HD shows up as effectively storage space

I should have explained myself better, like above put the drive on the cd/dvd ide as a slave :)

depending on the bios you can sometimes get to a "boot menu" so you can pick which drive to boot from, usually one of the higher number F keys.

Haven't tried yet, but this forum is epic for help,the jumpers are even labelled on my old drive so that's sorted out where slave is, so will swap cd drive for old hard drive shortly.

alive boy believe me 2 weeks ago i was in same boat as you, learnt a hell of a lot over Xmas via taking it apart google and my friend, rebuilt my whole computer for £90 thanks to gumtree and its never run games so quick and overcame a lot of problems due to old motherboard and new OS and leads etc

just like cars im glad i learnt to do it myself shows how much pc world and computer repair shops stiff you

best way to learn :thumbs: i've been building/repairing pc's since windows 95, that was a fun OS :rant: , vista and later make it too easy :)