NAS Backup

ioneabee

'bout time I sorted my secure backups out (on a regular basis)

was thinking of one of these http://www.scan.co.uk/products/d-link-dns-320-sharecenter-pulse-2x-sata-hdd-bay-12-in-1-nas-server-with-raid-gigabit-usb-ftp

any other recommendations ?

and

can you fit any old sata drive in there or does it have to be http://www.ebuyer.com/390983-wd-red-1tb-3-5in-sata6-wd10efrx ie "optimised for NAS use"

'bout time I sorted my secure backups out (on a regular basis)

was thinking of one of these http://www.scan.co.u...gigabit-usb-ftp

almost sure the one in your link would a little too slow at reading/writing files, i went for a zxyel 325, a little more money, maybe could do with better build quality (cheap plastics) but should be a lot faster :)

If I'm reading that correctly it's also only a RAID1 solution, so you'll only get one drive worth of data in there (i.e. 2x 1TB drives only give 1TB worth of storage). Not a problem as such, but it can get awfully expensive as when you pass that 1TB of data you then need to go buy another two drives PLUS another NAS box. :)

Much better than no backup at all though! :thumbs:

Had this for a couple of years, not missed a beat:-

http://www.synology....overview/DS212j

I've also been using a Synology NAS in RAID 1 (2x 2TB) for the last 18 months, mainly for streaming audio (SONOS) and video (Samsung Smart TV) but also with the intention of using it for backup in the future. Mine's a DS212+ which has probably been superseded by now and certainly not the cheapest NAS around but very flexible and great quality. :thumbs:

is that because of the 1.6ghz procesor as opposed to the 1.2 of the dlink one ?

yeah and the zxyel as more ram i think, the dlink one will get speeds about 10mb per second where as the zxyel can do 50mb+ ( copying large files from my zyxel to my pc averages around 70mb)

isn't the dlink one only Serial ATA-150 the zxyel is 600 (also depends of the hard drives installed)

the synology range is also good but expensive

so, to the other question - do the hard drives need to be "optimied for NAS use" and seem to run at 5900 as opposed to 7200 rpm

In theory, yes. A regular hard drive should be as fast as possible, because you want access to that data as quickly as possible to carry on with your work and don't mind sacrificing durability. NAS is a long-term storage solution, so really you want the opposite: A slow spin up speed to reduce risk of failure, and then an average seek time to reduce the moving bits moving too quickly. There's not much data out there yet on these kinds of drives as they're relatively new, however the warranty and quality of the WDRed drives convinced me that they're worth the selection.

You can either run a NAS. Personally I run a home server using SyncBackFree on my Machines to sync realtime to the server or NAS. However as a failover I also run LiveDrive to cloud backup all my machines (as some machine have differnet content) this is only 15 squids for the top wack product and is idea for off site backup incase your entire house was to have something terrible happen to it.

In my time freelancing i have seen various SOHO backup solutions, and ripped most of them out as are pony in the case of a catastrophic failure. I would certainly look at a local AND a remote backup.

If you want any tech advice I'm a PC geek so happy to help out, or if you arnt to far away happy to travel to help you configure.

I don't trust cloud solutions with all my pr0n. I just know they'll lose the good stuff, and I've got some damn rare Asia Carrera stuff on there. :(

googled that.............oh !!! my !!!