A months Rain!!

Beavis

Nice and sunny in London B)

It always is if you listen to the weather broadcasts and always a degree or 2 higher than anywhere else on planet earth!! :wacko:

Too right! Bring on global warming! :wacko:

Its just gone dark now! eeek, here comes the rain :thumbdown:

Im going on holiday i think, cant be doing with this weather

Where I live Im on a huge hill right at the top Im situated at so dont get any floodings at all, the water would have to rise about 70-80 foot before it even came near where I am, plus being in London not so bad. But my heart goes out to people who are suffering, and Nixy, really hope her car is okay :blush:

Guest prescience
Well I live in North Scotland so I'm used to the rain. The flooding is shocking though. I think we have so many hills that we don't get flooded too much!

You don't get flooded because houses are built where they should be - away from the flood plain.

I can say this because we were flooded some years ago (didn't follow my own advice) and it's a truly horrible experience :thumbdown:

Excellent! I do wonder as I live at the bottom of a golf course that is pretty hilly. I am at the bottom of the hill so water running off is worrying. My house is not at the very bottom though!

Glad I'm not on the flood plain then!

Lincolnshire was a mess yesterday; three houses in my village had to be pumped out and the water on the junction (yes we only have two roads) was three feet deep at 5 last night (I had to wade to the pub in shorts and bare feet).

Thanks God the rain stopped at 9 last night else none of us would have been here (and I'm quite a bit above the Trent valley flood plains).

Getting home was a little interesting last night.

Anyone round the area may know the Hornsbridge roundabout. Its one of the main ones in Chesterfeld, for anyone that knows of the roundabout - I was told when heading toward it that I may need a boat rather than the Altea.

The chap wasnt kidding... (note the national speed limit sign in the second picture).

hornsbridge1.jpg

hornsbridge2.jpg

It took me 2.5 hours to make the 30 minute drive home, and I know the shortcuts round most areas.

I was supposed to fetch my mother from hospital, but gave up when it got to 11pm and I was still 2 miles away (having covered 3 miles). She had to have a bed made up for the night like many others.

On the plus side - there may be some cheap electrical goods and other item from stores on the ravenside retail park..

It started like this....

Image068.jpg

Got to this after a while...

Photo-0007.jpg

Then the bollards were totally submerged, meaning at least 3 or 4 ft of water inside these shops.

ravenside.jpg

2003032828519687901_fs.jpg

And some of the bus drivers stuck to their routes like troopers... Planks. :headhurt:

bus1.jpg

bus2.jpg

One of the more serious issues was that the main routes to and from the hospital to the East side of Chesterfield were either completely gridlocked, or impassable.

This is the main one at the bottom of Hady Hill.

hadyhill.jpg

Unfortunately there are reports of at least one death in Chesterfield, a young boy on his bike was hit by an articulated lorry. Very poor visibility yesterday evening at times. :(

I havent taken any of these pictures but am collecting them as and when I find them on the net.

The missus's brothers house is actually visible on some of the news footage from sheffield (the part where the traffic lights are taken out by the flood water for anyone that has seen it). Needless to say we wil have a lodger for the forseable future.

Take care if travelling around the region, as trees have been made unstable by eroded land, and various routes are still waterlogged and closed.

So far the Rother has burst its banks, but if we have any further heavy rain (which seems unlikely thankfully) The Derwent, Trent, Erewash and Wye rivers are all at risk of bursting their banks according to local sources.

That would cause scenes in and around Chesterfield at least on par with those seen on the news from Sheffield. We did have one RAF rescue chopper out, over the Stavely area of Chesterfield.

Had it not been for the fact I was trying to fetch my mother from Hospital, I would have got my bike out and gone and taken some pictures myself, fortunately we live at the top of a hill, which afforded us safety.

Those pictures are incredible, you hear the weather forecasts but never expect to see that.

Luckily this area hasn't been affected, but feel for everyone who has had cars and houses damaged

And there was me swearing about keeping my car clean, puts it into perspective

My goodness, I think when I am looking for next house make sure its high up again. Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean all the sewers will be over flowing, must reek. Sorry to ask, Ive never seen nothing like this. Wonder if Next shop kept the inside doors sealed, otherwise £££ stock ruined. What is the Government doing to help the people who live here?

Guest prescience
My goodness, I think when I am looking for next house make sure its high up again. Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean all the sewers will be over flowing, must reek. Sorry to ask, Ive never seen nothing like this. Wonder if Next shop kept the inside doors sealed, otherwise £££ stock ruined. What is the Government doing to help the people who live here?

If a river floods it will run down manhole/drains into the sewer and fills it, so yeah all the water will get mixed up and if stays like that for any length of time it will get smelly.

Apparently its burst the main sewer at Hornsbridge roundabout (the first two pictures). There are major roadworks and excavations in the area which could have exposed weakenesses in the pipes etc.

So yes, its going to be a bit smelly round there for a while - though they are pretty good with the road sweepers/cleaners if needed.