Skyline engined zed

SkylineV35

Rb26 had its day a while back , LS is the way forward

funnily enough the company that told me to avoid removed theres and fitted with an ls3 (this was on a skyline time attack car though)

Lighter engine and can sit in further back in the engine bay... no replacement for displacement as they say!

I'd rather have a supercharger than either but a supercharger with a turbo works well

superchargers produce less power at lower revs than some of the n/a cars. A flat torque graph is much better. Would never trade an N/A engine for a supercharged engine with the same power..ever

Yes the RB26 is a bit on the expensive side to tune, also a little high strung when pushed above 600BHP, although they can be pushed to 1000BHP+ it takes a big budget,

I would go for an LS series motor any day, they are ideal for the Z and 350GT, they are both relatively heavy cars and the LS will produce a nice low RPM and fairly flat torque curve, which is what you want for good acceleration, remember BHP is how fast you go, torque is how fast you get there.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Might be what you want but I want that big rush of power. flat torque curves are great if you are restricted by gearing

You can make more torque at lower rpm with boost my 1.4 supercharged daily makes more torque at lower rpm than my zed

If only it was all about power rather than drivability/ flexibility/economy etc

And turbo's and chargers dont really come into this tbh.

A flat torque graph, smooth power graph is exactly what you want.

You are 100% right Neil but.... I went out with my friend in his turbo car. The acceleration was silly at some points but more power isn't everything for me. The drama of waiting for the turbo to kick in is addictive and the noises and whistles and they way it comes on is just fun. It feels like there is so much happening. I'd still prefer a N/A for driving on b roads etc BUT turbo's are alot of fun. Just different. Harder to drive and control in some ways plus N/A cars just drive better in anger round corners IMO but it opened my eyes that turbo's can be alot of fun. Not just drag racing.

Saying that his daily driver is a 5l v8 so he has the best of both worlds and frequently tells me he prefers his DD!

The 2JZ is a great and strong motor, but in the end it will only make similar power to the RB26 but I have seen them make 7-800BHP on an unopened motor as opposed to the RB needing forged internals after 5-600BHP.

The also make a good bit more torque at lower RPM than the RBs and red-line at 6.5K rather than 8.5K so there great for a heavier car,

But I still think given the choice I would go for an LS motor, you could always run a SC or turbo later for fun,

The 26 never got variable valve timing unlike the 2jz , which makes such a big difference on the road and to general drivability, in fact the 26 had little development from '89 but the RB25 was developed right up to the end , thats why many people think the RB25 neo is the pinnacle of the RB engines , a stock RB25 neo makes more torque at a lower rpm than a stock rb26 , the saving grace of the 26 though is its potential for tuning but as Tricky Ricky says the LS motor has a huge potential for tuning since the market is many times bigger than that for the 26 and economies of scale make many of the parts surprising cheap especially if you are used to tuning Skylines.

I was planning to fit an LS engine to my 33 GTST , was considering a RB30 build as well but the LS was going to be about 30% cheaper for a 600/600 build

ANTI LAG!!!! I want it sooo sooo soo sooo bad :-(.

I was looking at a ford focus rs with anti lag.. Was insane the spitting and popping and just a dangerous machine.

I agree turbos are fun cars but after driving around in a 5 litre v10 M5 for a while I just can't see past a high power/torque n/a engine for proper driving. Saying that zmanalex's zed has minimal lag due to the turbo sizes etc and drives very smoothly but very very quick. I guess it's not so bad having a high powered n/a engine and strapping turbos on but not a fan of the 2 litre engine with no guts until the huge turbo spools up.

I think the 2jz engine is amazing sounding and would definitely love the engine in a zed. Very special engine and a decent block is some serious dough these days.

• Like 1