Brembo / DS2500 - track experiences

Kingers

Hi folks, done a heap of reading of other threads on brakes this morning but not quite finding the answer i'm looking for...

I'm coming up for front pads and disks in the next while and am considering options.

The car will mainly be used for fast road and the standard brembos and oem pads seem more than up to the task - am I wrong?

I may do a few trackdays in it so I was thinking of how the oem pads last on track - any experiences here?

I know DS2500's are the default choice and I have used them a lot on track with my old 200SX, the biggest problem I had with them was pad transfer to the disk or ''warping'', ended up ruining loads of disks this way.

Does anyone have this problem with them on track?

Also, am I right in thinking that any spurious disks are ok for this type of FR use.

I currently have dba t3 discs with 2500pads some members like yellostuff or different discs , brake fluid is really important given your going to track motul 660 is the biz I use 6oo but i'm not tracking. I would never compromise when it comes to brakes, choice is yours. :)

I use DS2500 pads with DBA T3 discs, HEL braided brake lines and RBF 600 fluid. Mainly fast road use but done a few track days also. I really like this set up.

The OEM brembo set up won't give you many laps before you'll experience fade and need to do some cool down laps so will take a bit of fun out of it.

If you use cheap discs they will most probably warp, as you have experienced before.

It maybe a larger initial outlay but in the long run a decent disc/pad set up is definitely worth the outlay. The braided lines and decent fluid is a no-brainer when your spending that amount of money anyway, and make a massive difference to the feel of the brakes.

Sounds like you haven't tracked it before? Why not use your current setup out there - sure they will be fine for a few laps and eventually fade, at which point you can let the car cool off for a bit (and the oil temp/pressure too) before heading out again? If you don't know the car very well you should maybe take it a bit easy on a track day at first?

And once you've knackered the existing pads/discs, get some new ones and have the lines/fluids changed at the same time? I just don't see the point removing perfectly good kit - wear it out first, it ain't cheap!

DT

• Like 2

See your point sam but might be best to use the last 20% around the track - make sure you squeeze the last bit of life from them?

Kingers if it's any help (and I am far from an expert here) I have run Brembos and Pagids for 3-4k miles each and the former were nice for road use i.e. more progressive/smoother brake feel, but fade after a while. The pagids were sharper/better on track but noisier in terms of squeal under gentle town-braking conditions. They lasted 3 continuous laps on the nurburgring without any probs (I got tired before they did!) whereas the Bimbos simply didn't. Upgrading to HEL/RBF also seemed to reduce fading.

Running stock discs.

Thanks for the replys lads, anyone else have experience of running DS2500's in the dry on track?

I use DS2500 pads with DBA T3 discs, HEL braided brake lines and RBF 600 fluid. Mainly fast road use but done a few track days also. I really like this set up.

If you use cheap discs they will most probably warp, as you have experienced before.

When i say ''warping'' I mean the uneven surfaces that are created on the disks after too much pad material has transferred to the disk - Stoptech had a great page on their website explaining this and the myth behind ''warped'' disks, that the disks very very rarely warp.

Have you had any experience with the DS's ''warping'' the disks? I used to see a thick smear of blue / purple pad material on the disk after a session, allowing a cool down lap. Never happened with Carbon Lorraines.

Some good advice given, if its track days your looking to do you will need a disc that can take the extra heat generated. We are the UK distributor for DBA and have them on the shelf for the 350Z

Drop me a PM if you need more information or advice on suitable pads.

The 350Z seems to have a fairly decent brake set up as standard, those Brembo callipers feel strong and the disks are reasonably generous in their diameter and vent width. So for me, the first key to brake longevity is decent fluid, then decent pads. I think that would offer better performance than regular fluid, pads and good disks.

That said, I will need disks as mine are reasonably worn. Have you more info on the DBA disks - are they a blueprint of the oem disk or are they better quality? I see the 4,000 series slotted and drilled disks on your website, are these suitable for the odd trackday?

Any recommendations on pads?

Sounds like you haven't tracked it before? Why not use your current setup out there - sure they will be fine for a few laps and eventually fade, at which point you can let the car cool off for a bit (and the oil temp/pressure too) before heading out again? If you don't know the car very well you should maybe take it a bit easy on a track day at first?

And once you've knackered the existing pads/discs, get some new ones and have the lines/fluids changed at the same time? I just don't see the point removing perfectly good kit - wear it out first, it ain't cheap!

DT

I hear you and I do intend to get more wear out of the pads but when they are gone I'm as well to do new disks at the same time, they will need to be done.

I'm running ds2500, standard discs, standard lines and ATE superblue fluid and coped fine round brands on a hot day. Did a cool down lap before coming into the pits and the discs are fine still.

No rumbling or blue / purple pad transfer afterwards no?

Some good advice given, if its track days your looking to do you will need a disc that can take the extra heat generated. We are the UK distributor for DBA and have them on the shelf for the 350Z

Drop me a PM if you need more information or advice on suitable pads.

The 350Z seems to have a fairly decent brake set up as standard, those Brembo callipers feel strong and the disks are reasonably generous in their diameter and vent width. So for me, the first key to brake longevity is decent fluid, then decent pads. I think that would offer better performance than regular fluid, pads and good disks.

That said, I will need disks as mine are reasonably worn. Have you more info on the DBA disks - are they a blueprint of the oem disk or are they better quality? I see the 4,000 series slotted and drilled disks on your website, are these suitable for the odd trackday?

Any recommendations on pads?

You are correct in saying that high performance fluid and the right pad for application will make a big improvement. It really depends how hard you are on the brakes on track and indeed what track you use the car on. Somewhere like Knockhill for instance is extremely hard on brakes and my Skyline really struggles there compared to the Nurburgring where the set up I ran coped perfectly well.

The DBA discs run a unique Kangaroo Paw venting system, it sounds like a gimmick but the way it allows the heat to disperse makes a big difference to running temperature. Selecting the correct pads though is crucial to operating temperatures, DS2500 is a very popular choice for a lot of guys using the car on track but there are better options available depending on your driving style and needs. Ds3000 or Pagid RS29 would be a consideration as would Carbon Loraine RC6. We would only recommend the DBA T3 Slotted for track use, a drilled disc is not a good idea for hard use unless the holes are cast into the discs like the ones you'll find on a Porsche.

To give you an example I have a customer with a Z4 M who used DBA 4000 Slotted with DS2500 round Knockhill, this guy is a very aggressive driver and he managed to crack one of the discs, this was down the the DS2500 simply not coping with the very high temperatures the brakes were getting to, we switched him to DS3000 and he never had the problem again.

Great fast road pad and fealt good on the track. Mine didn't last long on the track though. However this might be because I kept getting onemorelap-syndrome.

Change your fluid before a track day. If you have old/crap fluid it will boil and you will go into a corner much faster than anticipated with your foot flat on a squishy brake pedal and a mess in your trousers.

used 2500's on track a lot, with the standard brembo's and with AP and DBA, fantastic pads, definitely get the lines braided and use decent fluid, i think someone suggested motul, i second that.

Whoever suggested wearing your current setup out i would strongly disagree with, you never know when you might need to do an emergency stop on track (or off) and that being the point where your brakes only work to 80% isnt worth thinking about.

Im currently using DS3000's but the car isnt used on the road, i think 2500's would be spot on :)

No issues at all man, still using the same pads and discs now as a daily with no problems.

Have you considered nitrac discs? And Carbotech pads? The nitrac discs are custom made and are guaranteed for track use. I would highly recommend them and will be investing in some when I need to replace mine. Also the Carbotech pads (I had xp12) were unbelievable. Again I'm going to get a set when I need to replace.

I had that set up with braided lines and ate superblue on my old mini with jcw calipers (not brembos) and they were brilliant.

It seems like all good news on the DS2500 front so, no ''warping'' issue. To be honest I think the standard rotors I had on the 200SX were just not big enough to disperse the heat and the pad overheated.

I don't intend on doing many trackdays in this car at all, maybe Mondello in Ireland, Kirkistown in Northern Ireland and perchance a trip to the Nordschleife. The car will mainly be for FR use so I don't want to overkill on the disk / pad spec - Pagids, DS3000's and carbotech are an overkill for what I need and not optimised for my usage I think.

I would be fairly hard on the brakes, in that I brake late and hard but have a bit of mechanical sympathy all the same.

@ ClarkMotorsport - what is the difference between your DBA 4000 series slotted disks and DBA 4000 T3 series slotted disks? There appears to be no difference from the description on your website.

It's funny you mention Knockhill, I did a trackday there in October in my MX5, myself and a bunch of lads were over from Ireland doing a tour of the Highlands - you weren't the guy in the White R33 Skyline with the blue decals were you? There were two very similar cars there on the 'hot hatch trackday'.

Kingers

Edited by Kingers

@ ClarkMotorsport - what is the difference between your DBA 4000 series slotted disks and DBA 4000 T3 series slotted disks? There appears to be no difference from the description on your website.

It's funny you mention Knockhill, I did a trackday there in October in my MX5, myself and a bunch of lads were over from Ireland doing a tour of the Highlands - you weren't the guy in the White R33 Skyline with the blue decals were you? There were two very similar cars there on the 'hot hatch trackday'.

Kingers

The 4000 Series 6x6 Slotted disc is the now discontinued disc which has been replaced by the T3. The only difference is the Slot design changing the material quality and Kangaroo paw system remain the same.

Its an R32 I have but I think I know the R33 you mean, I have an old Honda Integra as a track car which is just as fun and a lot cheaper to run on track, the R32 only manages about 5mpg on track!

Stoptech do a nice slotted disk - http://www.clarkmoto.../126.42076SL/SR

I've heard good things about their applications

Yes we have supplied these for a while now, they are good value for money.

We will be releasing the new DBA T2 disc in January which will be a similar price to the Stoptech, as with the Stoptech they will be ok for light track use.

Edited by Clark Motorsport/Zmanalex