Slightly different which exhaust question

wmr1980

Well probably not...

However, I',m trying to decide between Milltek and Invidia.

I'd have HFCs as well (If I'm doing it I might aswell go the whole hog!)

Has anyone here got a combo of Milltek + HFC or Invidia + HFC.

And which HFC works best with both? I see invidia do their own HFCs too...

Decisions decisions!!

IT won't be till next year - but I want to keep an eye on things.... Happy to hear opinions and ideas.

Edited by wmr1980

Can only comment on my set-up.

OEM exhaust was replaced with full Miltek but I found it absurdly quiet (seemed quieter than the OEM it had replaced).

Then had BERKS HFCs fitted and it transformed the sound of the car. Some people have commented that HFS sound "raspy" but either my ears tune that sound frequency out or it just doesn't happen on mine.

The combination of Miltek and Berks give a lovely burble at idle and a purposeful growl on full chat but still gives a very muted tone at cruising speed, no droning at all.

David

I hadn't thought of a custom... Is it the same price range?

I don't know about going catless as much as I'd love to, it's just a pain for me to have to put them back on for the MOT.

I don't want a particularly loud obnoxious exhaust, but something with a nice burble at idle, but has a decent soundtrack when on full chat.

Will have a look at powerflow for options.

The question will then be, which HFCs will work best with powerflow?

Sounds like you want something mild like an Invidia Gemini or Miltek then some HFCs.

Problem with custom exhausts is resale value is pretty much zero, put an unbranded used custom exhaust on eBay and you will probably get £100 if your lucky, put a used branded one on here and you will sell in a flash for a good price.

Drop me a pm if I can help

• Like 2

I hadn't thought of a custom... Is it the same price range?

I don't know about going catless as much as I'd love to, it's just a pain for me to have to put them back on for the MOT.

I don't want a particularly loud obnoxious exhaust, but something with a nice burble at idle, but has a decent soundtrack when on full chat.

Will have a look at powerflow for options.

The question will then be, which HFCs will work best with powerflow?

90% of the time you will just be paying for the brand, Polo shirt with Fred Perry logo on it will sell for £50 more than a plain Polo Shirt from Primark.

Custom exhaust you can have made up to your exact needs. Sound, tail pipes etc. The other thing I like about custom is, it's built for YOUR car. So no adjusting or modding to get it fitted, no knocks or odd noises. With the MK4 golf, the Miltek system was a popular choice however it was prone to the odd knocking noise underneath the car.

However that is probably not the case with the zed, but just an example to the benefits of a custom.

Price, I paid I think £450-£600 for a full cat back system. And I think the Miltek for the golf was way over £800+. So that was the price range I previously had.

My car is booked in to talk about an exhaust on Tuesday with Powerflow. I'll update with more info.

Edited by grundy225

I'm not knocking custom exhausts by the way, and you are right it is similar to clothes, my analogy is that if you buy a custom exhaust for a Zed for £600 and say 12 months down the line you need to sell and you get £100 then its cost you £500. But let's say you buy a branded one at £850 and sell it at £650 12 months down the line then ownerships cost you half of the custom system.

• Like 2

I'm not knocking custom exhausts by the way, and you are right it is similar to clothes, my analogy is that if you buy a custom exhaust for a Zed for £600 and say 12 months down the line you need to sell and you get £100 then its cost you £500. But let's say you buy a branded one at £850 and sell it at £650 12 months down the line then ownerships cost you half of the custom system.

That's awesome man maths Chris! :teeth:

Aye don't get me wrong, you're very correct, think at the end of it all, just down to personal preference :)

^^ Agree. When we're talking exhausts though it's also worth noting I think the R&D that major manufacturers have put into the systems. I'm not knocking custom exhaust's either as I used to have one on my old Civic Type R made by Longlife exhausts which was very good but, ...if I ever had taken the car on a dyno I'm sure I would have seen better results with some of the higher end exhaust systems and as Tarmac states the re-sale price (should I had chosen to sell it) would have been a lot higher. If you just want something that's going to make a nice sound you like wmr1980 then by all means go for a custom exhaust which may or may not see good gains but if you want an exhaust that is going to give you a good increase in bhp/torque figures then I'd look more at some of Tarmacs quality exhausts with dyno proven gains. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...