370Z handling

markgray

Ok, i have been looking at a new car for a few weeks now, top of the list is the 370Z GT Roadster, but i have also test drove the Audi TTS Roadster.

In your opinions what is the handling in the 370Z like, the Audi is 4wd which was pretty impressive, but i need to have a second test drive in the Nissan as it was torrential rain when i drove it and didn't get chance to really try it if you get my meaning.

That being said it was very sure footed even in that rain, plus i want to see what its like with the roof down, noise levels, buffeting etc.

Both cars are very nice, the Nissan seems to be slightly better spec as standard, the Audi i would need to add about £1200 - £1500 worth of extras to match them up.

Sooooo, the question is from you guys that have had the Nissan for a while, what's the handling like?

Anyone driven it when it has snowed?

Thanks in advance for any information :)

Handles well, gives good feedback and has a large amount of grip - was my assumption.

I found it had quite a bit of understeer but this is dailed in I think as a safety feature by Nissan, nothing a bit of geo wouldn't balance out to your liking.

Never driven a TT so can't really compare, although if the TT is AWD it will be a lot different.

TTS is a nice car but lacks feel through the steering wheel, I could never happily push the TTS to the limit. But it is mighty quick, good mpg, nice noise and will be a bit better in the snow (think the front lip will be lower than the Zs so would act as a plow in big drifts.)

Ha ha, a few people have said the hairdresser line :)

Hmm interesting information, i have booked another test drive for Saturday as the weather is (at the moment) dry, but cold so i should be able to see what it's like in the dry and hopefully get the roof down :)

Turn in is pretty sharp but in tight corners the car does feel heavy although I would guess not too different to the Audi. I find the joy of the Z comes from corner exit when you plant the throttle, then feel the back end hunker down and catapult you out of corners. It feels very good and satisfying when done right but you need the TC off to fully enjoy. Steering feedback is okay, has a good weight to it generally.

I've not driven enough cars to give you a meaningful comparison but I think the Z handles very well when you get it up to speed. I don't find it great to drive around our busy local roads at 20 mph over the speed humps, but that would probably be true of most cars with a hefty engine, rwd and a manual gearbox. :)

I did find that the car felt more sure-footed when I swapped the stock Bridgestones for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The road noise was also reduced.

So since you are looking at extras (you don't say what extras), are both cars new? If so, must it be a roadster? There are quite a few mods that can be done to the 370 to improve handling, coil-overs, springs that can be brought in for under £1200/£1500.

If it's not imperative that it's to be a roadster, then for the price of the roadster, you can probably get the Nismo version, this has a very good level of improvement over a stock 370, some reasonable deals to be had on ex demo's.

All the handling improvements are factory fitted which negates any burning desire to further improve the suspension set up.

I've driven in the snow with my last 370, not one of my better ideas, but needs at the time required it. You need to drive very gingerly as with any 300 odd BHP RWD car. I found switching the TC off was helpful.

TT was brilliant in the snow

generally drove as if on rails - it was fun, but the 370 IMHO is the better car (just not in the snow) - when running at the edge you're just waiting for the grip to go so that you can grab it back again - its a hoot

top end speed - the TT I took as high as I dared - which to be honest was a lot earlier than the 370 - it started to get very light at the front and scarily unresponsive

the zed just hunkers down and says "come on, is that all you've got......"

downside of the TT was everyone called it a hairdressers car............bloody Clarkson

downside of the zed .........its a Datsun

which one do I prefer - no contest