Winter tyres - a laugh

pdg32

All this talk of winter tyres

Pah, never used them on my 2.00L capri in the 80's, proper rear wheel squirming those days

Rob

Remember the days well, early 70's and 80's when a Front wheel drive was the rarity. :teeth::drive1:wheelchair:

It isn't just for the snow that it the reason for me selecting winter rubber for both my Zed and my wife's Passat .............

Go back and read first post - in conditions where the temp is 10 degrees the winter tyre will not be as effective as a summer tyre. They are fantastic for when winter properly gets here but before weve even had a frost is a bit early TBH.

So says there is no snow. Its -5c. The ground is probably even colder than that how do you get heat into the tyres?

5 minutes with a hair dryer before setting off should do it...

Yeah or tyre heaters until you take them off and start driving lol. The ground sucks the heat out of everything when cold.

So says there is no snow. Its -5c. The ground is probably even colder than that how do you get heat into the tyres?

Yeah or tyre heaters until you take them off and start driving lol. The ground sucks the heat out of everything when cold.

Doesn't matter how cold the ground is tbh. The weight of the car and the friction is what generates heat. Ive used r888's in damp/wet days and found them better than the ps2's in similar conditions. R888's don't like standing water and thats about it.

Its purely because the compound is medium/soft and they're very easy to warm up in comparison to other tyres.

Doesn't matter how cold the ground is tbh. The weight of the car and the friction is what generates heat. Ive used r888's in damp/wet days and found them better than the ps2's in similar conditions. R888's don't like standing water and thats about it.

Its purely because the compound is medium/soft and they're very easy to warm up in comparison to other tyres.

Even if the ground is freezing, any traction will cause heat, how much depends on conditions etc but there will be heat because of the friction.... you could rub 2 bits of ice together and get some heat :p

• Like 1

Even if the ground is freezing, any traction will cause heat, how much depends on conditions etc but there will be heat because of the friction.... you could rub 2 bits of ice together and get some heat :p

You could be right but if your driving on the dual carriageway at 70mph and the ground is cold I'd still rather run winter tyres than 888's.

You could be right but if your driving on the dual carriageway at 70mph and the ground is cold I'd still rather run winter tyres than 888's.

Wouldn't argue with that one bit...

It isn't just for the snow that it the reason for me selecting winter rubber for both my Zed and my wife's Passat .............

Go back and read first post - in conditions where the temp is 10 degrees the winter tyre will not be as effective as a summer tyre. They are fantastic for when winter properly gets here but before weve even had a frost is a bit early TBH.

You are preaching to the converted.

Please check the 4th post where I highlighted the same thing.

I haven't fit my winters yet for that same reason. They are all ready to go though,

Last year I got stuck at a friends house, bottom of a cul-de-sac with a steep slope upto the main carriageway and had to be pushed up by three passers-by.

I said this year I would buy a winter shed instead of the grief of worrying about the zed over the winter.

Bought myself a 1999 206, two Avon Ice Touring tyres for the front and a set of snow chains for the puny 14s. I'm no more precious about mine than anyone else here but the car cost £200, tyres £35 each and the total is still less than my excess on the zed, compulsory excess of £100 so win win as far as I can see. Not sure why more people don't do this, when I say to people I have a winter car they look at me like I've gone mad :)

I'm already at a distinct advantage in the winter driving a light front wheel drive car than a zed equipped with four snow tyres and too much torque, I figured having two winter tyres on the driving axle was still better than none at all.

My paranoia comes not from my lack of driving skill, but rather other road users who don't give a second thought about visibility and stopping distances.

If I write the 206 off in the winter, I've lost less than a months worth of fuel for the zed :)

and if you hit someone? Your no better than the people who cant drive IMO.

Lol at too much torque. You must be the only person in the world to have a sub 0-60 7 sec and drive it in winter. There is no one else in the world running more power than you. Japan and Germany make cars that are completely unsuitable and unusable 6 months of the year for their home markets.