Evo car of the year 2013

Will370z

It's not best car, it's EVO Car of the Year. A car can have flaws but still be an incredible drive, and so be in with a chance of winning. It's about character and soul as much as technical perfection.

They did try and describe it a few years back, no idea what their phrasing was though. Better than mine, I suspect!

It's not best car, it's EVO Car of the Year. A car can have flaws but still be an incredible drive, and so be in with a chance of winning. It's about character and soul as much as technical perfection.

They did try and describe it a few years back, no idea what their phrasing was though. Better than mine, I suspect!

They shouldn't try and describe it in one hit, because that would be wrong. Its why composite measures in market research are so flawed. They should be clearer about what the elements they are measuring that make up the winning score are - which they dont they just hoon the cars around on country roads. I didnt see them trying to park any of them in a multistory car park, or stick a suitcase in the back. I take it MPG doesn't count either. Evo Car of the Year should be called the Evo Best Car on an empty country road with no worries about price value or depreciation Car of the year ;)

I think you've both missed the point of the entire magazine tbh,

EVO is not about whether the stitching is uniform throughout, or whether the optional heated seats are worth it. It's about how the cars drive, and how they make you feel. It's why the 350Z is more highly rated by them than the 370Z, despite being a slower car with an uglier interior. It's why massive horsepower cars don't always trump the hot hatches, and why things like steering feel and chassis feedback are rated so very highly.

• Like 2

I think you've both missed the point of the entire magazine tbh,

EVO is not about whether the stitching is uniform throughout, or whether the optional heated seats are worth it. It's about how the cars drive, and how they make you feel. It's why the 350Z is more highly rated by them than the 370Z, despite being a slower car with an uglier interior. It's why massive horsepower cars don't always trump the hot hatches, and why things like steering feel and chassis feedback are rated so very highly.

It's quite odd to have to point this out on a forum for a car thats whole USP is a rather old-school, chunky take on driving fun. Presumably many owners choose a zed over much faster turbo hatches and diesel rep mobiles for this reason?

Not really missing the point Dan, just making the point that 'Evo Car of the Year' doesn't actually mean anything unless they tell you how they come to the conclusion. I actually have bought the magazine and as I say they hoon a few cars around and then say how it makes them feel? What does 'feel' mean? I would start by breaking it down by excitement, fun, safety, thrill, ease, danger etc etc which would explain what each cars strengths are and why the winner won.